PackerMike

Packers release 23, place 2 on IR

Packers.com

The Green Bay Packers released 23 players, placed two on injured reserve and traded FB Quinn Johnson and G Caleb Schlauderaff. The transactions were announced Saturday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Released Saturday were WR Diondre Borel, S Anthony Bratton, T Chris Campbell, T/G Ray Dominguez, NT Chris Donaldson, LB Ricky Elmore, C Sampson Genus, CB Josh Gordy, WR Tori Gurley, QB Graham Harrell, FB Jon Hoese, LB Cardia Jackson, DE Eli Joseph, LB Elijah Joseph, S Anthony Levine, C/G Nick McDonald, RB Dimitri Nance, CB Brandian Ross, NT Jay Ross, RB Brandon Saine, WR Kerry Taylor, S/CB Brandon Underwood and WR Chastin West.

DE Lawrence Guy and WR Shaky Smithson were placed on injured reserve.

Johnson was traded to the Tennessee Titans for an undisclosed draft choice. A fifth-round draft selection by the Packers in 2009 out of Louisiana State, he appeared in 20 games with four starts during his two seasons in Green Bay.

Schlauderaff was traded to the New York Jets for an undisclosed draft choice. He was selected by the Packers in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Utah.

We kept 5 TE's. 5! And only kept 8 O-Linemen.

Edited by PackerMike

Wow I knew it was a possibility that GB would keep 5 TEs but was thinking they wouldn't. Not sure if any of the cut players deserved a spot over the TEs, except maybe Gurley and Gordy.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

This is absolutely fucking retarded. Josh Gordy needed a roster spot. He's 10x better than Jarrett Bush.. Wow.

FIVE tight ends? What the fuck are we going to do with FIVE FUCKING TIGHT ENDS.

Absolutely moronic in every way possible. Literally makes zero sense.

This is absolutely fucking retarded. Josh Gordy needed a roster spot. He's 10x better than Jarrett Bush.. Wow.

FIVE tight ends? What the fuck are we going to do with FIVE FUCKING TIGHT ENDS.

Absolutely moronic in every way possible. Literally makes zero sense.

I dunno about that. The combo of Masthay and Bush on punts helped win games last season. Along with Bush being able to play CB or safety. I woulda cut Crabtree and kept either Gurley or Gordy though.

I heard that Dominguez, Harrell, Gurley, Gordy, Hoese were among the ones that we wanted to bring back to practice squad.

And F4E, I think keeping 5 tight ends is foreseeing to the fact that we probably won't have Finley next year.

I dunno about that. The combo of Masthay and Bush on punts helped win games last season. Along with Bush being able to play CB or safety. I woulda cut Crabtree and kept either Gurley or Gordy though.

BUSH SUCKS ASS AT CORNER AND SAFETY. What good is it that he can play both positions when he is one of the worst defensive players IN THE LEAGUE. I don't want him to line up on defense EVER again for this team... Opposing QBs seek him out on the field and throw at him all day.

God, I am so pissed right now.

And Quinn Johnson is a very good FB.. wtf are e trading him for? Release that dumb shit Tom Crabtree... And we have a total of EIGHT offensive lineman? 8 lineman to play 5 positions... May God have Mercy on us if we are to suffer any injuries on the line this year.

Fuck my life.

And who keeps five tight ends???!?!?! What do you even DO with FIVE TIGHT ENDS? Oh my God.

BUSH SUCKS ASS AT CORNER AND SAFETY. What good is it that he can play both positions when he is one of the worst defensive players IN THE LEAGUE. I don't want him to line up on defense EVER again for this team... Opposing QBs seek him out on the field and throw at him all day.

God, I am so pissed right now.

And Quinn Johnson is a very good FB.. wtf are e trading him for? Release that dumb shit Tom Crabtree... And we have a total of EIGHT offensive lineman? 8 lineman to play 5 positions... May God have Mercy on us if we are to suffer any injuries on the line this year.

Fuck my life.

And who keeps five tight ends???!?!?! What do you even DO with FIVE TIGHT ENDS? Oh my God.

Haha, you wanted to keep old Stonehands Johnson? He could block sure but he was useless other than that. You get rid of him because you can open up a roster spot for someone who could make plays.

And be real...what are the chances that J-Mike is in a Packer uniform next year? He's going to ask for a ton of money, and I'd rather sign guys like Sitton, Masthay, and Nelson to extensions - sure they aren't tearing it up on the field but they don't get hurt and play well. Sitton is an elite guard, Masthay is looking really good ans might be the punter we never had, and Nelson is a reliable target for Rodgers that's always on the field. And those three COMBINED probably cost as much as Finley.

Edit- But I 100% agree with the OL situation. I think we should have kept more of them. We didn't look particularly strong in the preseason up front...

Edited by gobadgers77

Haha, you wanted to keep old Stonehands Johnson? He could block sure but he was useless other than that. You get rid of him because you can open up a roster spot for someone who could make plays.

And be real...what are the chances that J-Mike is in a Packer uniform next year? He's going to ask for a ton of money, and I'd rather sign guys like Sitton, Masthay, and Nelson to extensions - sure they aren't tearing it up on the field but they don't get hurt and play well. Sitton is an elite guard, Masthay is looking really good ans might be the punter we never had, and Nelson is a reliable target for Rodgers that's always on the field. And those three COMBINED probably cost as much as Finley.

Edit- But I 100% agree with the OL situation. I think we should have kept more of them. We didn't look particularly strong in the preseason up front...

FBs aren't supposed to catch passes... lol. If they can.. sure.. it's awesome (like Kuhn). But we lost TWO ELITE BLOCKING FULL BACKS this offseason. And honestly... I don't know if I am comfortable letting Kuhn shoulder the load...

I loved our 2 FB sets.. the inverse wishbone or whatever it was. Epic formation that caused a ton of confusion.

I agree with you on Finley.. But keeping 4 TEs is still insane... lol. Seriously... What do we do with five TE's on the roster? It makes no sense at all.

FBs aren't supposed to catch passes... lol. If they can.. sure.. it's awesome (like Kuhn). But we lost TWO ELITE BLOCKING FULL BACKS this offseason. And honestly... I don't know if I am comfortable letting Kuhn shoulder the load...

I loved our 2 FB sets.. the inverse wishbone or whatever it was. Epic formation that caused a ton of confusion.

I agree with you on Finley.. But keeping 4 TEs is still insane... lol. Seriously... What do we do with five TE's on the roster? It makes no sense at all.

We got BJ Raji as a flex NT/FB lol.

And I think we kept the 4 extras because we don't want to lose any of them. If Finley is gonna be gone, we want to know which one of these guys we are keeping to start next season. This is just Ted using his black magic future sight and next year we'll look bad and wonder how stupid we were to doubt him again.

Quinn Johnson is great blocking FB but he just doesn't fit into the Pack's system. McCarthy wants FBs who can receive. I still think Finley will stay in GB, and it will be Quarless that is traded away. I would have cut Crabtree, I just don't a whole lot of purpose for him except for runblocking. I still disagree about Bush. He sucks at covering but at least hes great at ST and has shown some glimpses of being good against starting offenses, and the lack of depth at safety helps his case. Keeping 8 o-lineman seemed strange but none of them played well in the preseason so having them around isn't going to help a whole lot.

lolol 5 Tight ends

5 tight ends to back up your receivers if 5 of them get injured. obviously.

Signed to the practice squad were WR Diondre Borel, T/G Ray Dominguez, C Sampson Genus, WR Tori Gurley, QB Graham Harrell, CB Brandian Ross, RB Brandon Saine and WR Chastin West.

So 4/5 that I mentioned are back.

Also does anybody know why Lawrence Guy and Shaky Smithson are on IR? What happened to them?

Packers placed DE Lawrence Guy (concussion) on injured reserve, ending his season.

A seventh-round pick, Guy was a bust at Arizona State after being a highly sought after recruit. He'll be facing long odds to make the Packers next year.

Didn't you all know that the Packers are bringing a new formation to the game? Where it's just Rodgers with 5 TEs and 5 WRs. It would be sick if a formation like that could be legal.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Brandon Saine didn't look that impressive at all... Surprised we are keeping him around. I would much rather Josh Gordy...