Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Giants @ Eagles

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Lincoln Financial Field

The storyline this week for the Philadelphia Eagles' home opener is not about their recent dominance of the New York Giants, but whether Michael Vick will be starting.

Vick's status is unclear Sunday for the Eagles as they try to defeat the Giants for the seventh straight meeting.

Vick was forced to leave in the second half after he suffered a concussion in a 35-31 loss at Atlanta last Sunday. Head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder said Wednesday that Vick doesn't have "a whole lot of concussion symptoms," and would undergo further testing.

Although coach Andy Reid would not confirm whether Vick will play, Giants coach Tom Coughlin knows what to expect.

"I expect Michael Vick will play and if he can play, I am sure he will," Coughlin said.

Mike Kafka, a 2010 fourth-round pick out of Northwestern, completed 7 of 9 passes for 72 yards against the Falcons, but couldn't lead a scoring drive in the fourth quarter while Philadelphia blew a 10-point lead. He's the backup since Vince Young will probably remain out with a hamstring injury.

Philadelphia (1-1) is enjoying its longest win streak over New York (1-1) since a 12-game run from 1975-81.

"Every one has been different and every one is a blood bath," Reid said. "It has been a knockdown, drag out heavyweight fight, so I don't look at the body of work over numbers of games and I will never go there and do that. That would be making a mistake."

The Eagles scored the final 28 points in the last 7:28 of a 38-31 road victory to cap last year's season sweep. That memorable game ended when DeSean Jackson ran Matt Dodge's punt back 65 yards for a score on the final play. Dodge was cut by the Giants at the end of the preseason.

"It took place last year," Giants safety Antrel Rolle said. "It's not something that we might ever forget, but at the same time, it's a new year."

Vick threw for 500 yards and three scores and rushed for 164 yards and two more touchdowns last year against New York.

"If he's playing, we know we have to be on our toes," Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said. "We all know that Philadelphia is a great football team. We're going to have a great game regardless of if Vick plays or not."

Vick has a new target in Steve Smith, who signed with Philadelphia after spending the previous four seasons with New York. Smith led the Giants with 1,220 yards receiving two years ago before his 2010 season was cut short by a knee injury.

That contributed to New York's decision not to present the free agent with an aggressive enough offer in the offseason.

"I enjoyed the coaches there," Smith, who had two catches for 29 yards last week in his Eagles debut, said about facing his former team. "They're a great team, great organization. Things didn't work out. So I'm here now, ready to ball."

Smith was a valuable target to Eli Manning, whose current group of receivers is depleted. The Giants announced Wednesday that Domenik Hixon will miss the rest of the season after tearing his right ACL for the second straight year.

"Obviously, Hixon was a guy who rotated in," Manning said. "We still have Victor Cruz, who's been here all year long. We have (Brandon) Stokley, who's been here a week. He's going to have to do more and learn more of the plays."

Giants receiver Mario Manningham's status has yet to be determined after he sustained a concussion in Monday's 28-16 win over St. Louis.

New York's offense is under pressure to produce since an injury-plagued defense has allowed 300-yard passing games by Washington's Rex Grossman and the Rams' Sam Bradford. The Giants lost a number of key defensive players in the preseason.

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora may make his season debut after being out due to arthroscopic knee surgery. The Giants sacked Vick six times last year, with none by Umenyiora.

"We certainly hope Osi will be ready to go," Coughlin said.

Umenyiora was the target of some taunting on Twitter in the offseason by running back LeSean McCoy, whose 217 rushing yards are the most by an Eagle through two games since Herschel Walker had 227 in 1992.

That's an episode that's rather indicative of this rivalry.

"I think it is a lot of intensity," Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel said. "It is a lot of trash talking and a lot of guys on the field that just hate each other. They just want to beat each other's head in."

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Eagles DEs Darryl Tapp (torn pectoral muscle) and Juqua Parker (high-ankle sprain) have been ruled out for Week 3 against the Giants.

The absence will be Tapp's second straight. With Parker joining Tapp on the sideline, DE Phillip Hunt will see an increase in playing time while DT Cullen Jenkins is expected to take some snaps at defensive end. Tapp is more likely than Parker to return in Week 4, though neither are great bets to play against the 49ers.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

I'm excited to see what Phillip Hunt can do. I think he's going to bring a ton of pass rush ability to the D line.

Mario Manningham (concussion) has been downgraded to out for Week 3.

Manningham was listed as doubtful after missing his third straight practice Friday, and was never likely to suit up this week. Victor Cruz will start in his place opposite Hakeem Nicks, and should be in for a long afternoon against Philadelphia's elite secondary.

Source: ESPN New York

Michael Vick (concussion) is active for Week 3 against the Giants.

As is Vince Young (hamstring) for the first time in 2011, though Mike Kafka is expected to get the call if Vick gets knocked out of his second straight game.

Eagles inactives: DE Darryl Tapp, DE Juqua Parker, OT Winston Justice, G/C Julian Vandervelde, S Jaiquawn Jarrett, CB Curtis Marsh and RG Danny Watkins. The Eagles' first-round pick, Watkins has now been inactive for two of his first three games.

Giants declared WR Mario Manningham, WR Michael Clayton, DE Osi Umenyiora, RB Da'Rel Scott, OT James Brewer, G Mitch Petrus and CB Prince Amukamara inactive for Week 3 against the Eagles.

A host of notable names, but no one unexpected. Victor Cruz is taking Manningham's place opposite Hakeem Nicks, but won't have his long-awaited breakout against the Eagles' elite secondary. He's no more than a WR4 today. Jason Pierre-Paul will make his third consecutive start in place of Umenyiora, who is expected to return in Week 4.

For the record, I never understood why the Eagles were considered such heavy favorites in this game...

LMAO. Kurt Coleman had two chances to stop Victor Cruz and he failed both times.

Any given Sunday, Boys....

This was arguably the most satisfying win since Super Bowl XLII, IMO....:yep:

GO BIG BLUE!!!! :rock:

Well, that sucked. I was expecting a loss, but that was pretty frustrating.

Oh, and Vick has now sustained a game-ending injury in two of the first three games. Anybody think this is a sign of things to come?