Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

Analyzing music?

So I'm just curious if I'm in the majority or the minority on this one.

Pretty much every single time I hear a song on the radio or whatnot the first and probably even the second time, I find myself absolutely dissecting the lyrics. I am always just trying to figure out the meaning behind the song, as opposed to actually LISTENING and ENJOYING the song. Does anyone else do this?

I guess one major plus to doing this is that I remember all the words pretty easily in songs and because of that, I have like a majorly large music library in my head.

Guest Phailadelphia

Absolutely. I can appreciate a good beat but lyrics make a song for me. It's a big reason why Brand New is one of my favorite bands ever. Their music is great but their lyrics are just incredible.

Agreed 100%. This is why I love Oh, Sleeper so much. Deep christian lyrics that I have to, as you say, dissect and interpret. I love it.

Depends on the artist... If it's someone like Kanye, Lupe, etc, I actually tend to do so..

But when it's someone like Wacka Flocka Flame, etc, I take it for what it's worth with some disregard to the lyrics...

Nope.

I LOVE music, but it's pretty simple...for me. I listen to a song(s) and I either like it or don't like it. No dissecting lyrics or "meh the bass player is only the 10th best at his instrument in the industry blah blah blah."

:shrug:

• Upvote 1

I like to analyze the lyrics too since the words can be very powerful. I've played the flute for a good majority of my life as well, so sometimes I like to analyze the instrumental portion of the song as well. Either way music is definitely a beautiful and very powerful art form :)

I can't tell you how long I spent analyzing this verse..

"Got a sign on my dick that says "Bad Bitches Only"

I don't drink champagne, it make my stomach hurt" - Lil Wayne

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I do this as well. I enjoy a broad spectrum of music that ranges from classic rock to jazz to dirty hip hop, and with that comes an appreciation for lyrics and musical sounds. I can't count how many times I've looked up the lyrics to a song because I wanted to find out the true meaning behind it. I always find it interesting to see songs change as you learn their true meanings. A fast, happy sounding song could really be about something depressing, and your appreciation and interpretation of the song does a complete 180 once you learn that. Now there are some types of music that I don't dissect, such as hip-hop and rap, but that type of music is more for the beats and hype at this point in time. There are some hip-hop/rap artists who put meaning into their lyrics, and I love to dissect them as well, but I sure do appreciate a song that has no point to it but has a good beat and some catchy lyrics.

Depends on the artist... If it's someone like Kanye, Lupe, etc, I actually tend to do so..

But when it's someone like Wacka Flocka Flame, etc, I take it for what it's worth with some disregard to the lyrics...

This.

Didn't see this for some reason. I'm about the same with this. Love to dissect Lupe's lyrics but I want to do nothing more than just get hype over some Flocka.

I do but usually on the third or fourth time I hear the song. The first time I hear it I listen to the song as a whole to see if I enjoy the song. Then, if I find I do, I go back and listen at a later time an usually listen to what they are actually saying.

For example, the first time I heard Champagne Supernova by Oasis, I listened to the beat, the acoustics, the quality of the vocals. A few days later I heard it again and realized it was about someone getting high.

Lmao that's cos his lyrics don't mean shit :p

But yes, I totally do this all the time. Sometimes a song will stump me so bad that I'll need to go search on the internet to see if anyone else knows what it means lol. I find I love the song even more when I actually know what it's trying to say.

I can't tell you how long I spent analyzing this verse..

"Got a sign on my dick that says "Bad Bitches Only"

I don't drink champagne, it make my stomach hurt" - Lil Wayne

This guy is a complete douchebag. If I was black and had dreadlocks and carried a lot of guns on my tour bus I could be just like Lil Wayne. He is a piece of shit that has raped lots of peoples common sense and music taste. FUCK YOU LIL WAYNE!!!

• Downvote 2

This guy is a complete douchebag. If I was black and had dreadlocks and carried a lot of guns on my tour bus I could be just like Lil Wayne. He is a piece of shit that has raped lots of peoples common sense and music taste. FUCK YOU LIL WAYNE!!!

Why'd you neg him? LMAO

I think you need to go back and analyze his post. Ahahahahaa

• Upvote 1

lol Cardinal of Faildom

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1