Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Gil Brandt's trading advice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8230fc44/article/trading-winds-deals-that-should-get-done-before-deadline

This is simply too good of a laugh to let go.

Some of his "advice" for teams:

Seattle sending Doug Baldwin to Cincy for Carson Palmer.

The Vikings trading Jared Allen to New England for a first-rounder.

The gem of the bunch, though is this:

Denver trades Kyle Orton to Miami for a draft pick, which the Broncos then package along with Brandon Lloyd in a deal with Carolina for Jimmy Clausen.

Yeah, he just said the Broncos should trade us Brandon Lloyd AND a draft pick, for Jimmy Clausen.

Speaking for every Panthers fan, everywhere, and the entire organization, I'm sure, we wish Mr. Brandt was running things over in Denver, because surely John Elway is not that stupid. We'd even take the straight trade, you can keep the draft pick.

Edited by Thanatos19

For Jimmy Clausen? Lol. Dude can't throw a football at the broad side of a damn barn in the NFL. He looked so terrible last season that it wasn't even remotely humorous. Why does everyone think that they draft Cam Newton? There were other guys Carolina could have invested in and actually used. They didn't have a quarterback capable of being an NFL starter. I don't think Clausen is going anywhere except for to the free agent wire after his contract is up, or to someone else bench. Tim Tebow > Jimmy Clausen.

... dear god... I just marked out. Gil Brandt might have been something when he was younger, but now his senility has brought him to insanity... those were fricking terrible.

Well I think when these guys get old they are a little stuck in the older days of doing things, and a trade for a guy like Clausen probably wouldn't have been far fetched when the league was so run-dominant. I listen to Brandt on the radio a lot, the guy is extremely smart but you can tell some of the things he says are a little off as far as where the NFL is at right now.

Also keep in mind they don't just come up with these articles and do them, the people who run nfl.com ask them too, and I've heard others on the radio mention they were asked to submit the same thing, and ESPN does it too so he has to try and make his a little more unique. Everyone putting down the same trades would be dumb.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about a first round pick for Jared Allen. The guy's 29, so he's still got some years left, but the question is "how many?". I figure since the Patriots have 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for the upcoming draft, they might as well give up one of either pick to get Allen. He'll probably be productive for a good 3-5 more years, and would help stock up for the remaining years Brady has left. The Patriots need a team who can make a run at a Super Bowl, and picking up Ocho & Haynesworth just won't cut it. Give up the pick and make that pass-rush solid with Jared Allen & Vince Wilfork. There won't be any rings in New England until that defense is addressed.

Gil Brandt, eh? Or should I say ... :lolbangyfail:

I'm not quite sure how I feel about a first round pick for Jared Allen. The guy's 29, so he's still got some years left, but the question is "how many?". I figure since the Patriots have 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for the upcoming draft, they might as well give up one of either pick to get Allen. He'll probably be productive for a good 3-5 more years, and would help stock up for the remaining years Brady has left. The Patriots need a team who can make a run at a Super Bowl, and picking up Ocho & Haynesworth just won't cut it. Give up the pick and make that pass-rush solid with Jared Allen & Vince Wilfork. There won't be any rings in New England until that defense is addressed.

From NE's perspective, the trade makes sense. It does not make sense from Minny's perspective. At all. Why would you give up one of the two things that's working in Minnesota?

LOL.. DRC for Bradie James? Yeah, let's trade our youngest corner to a rival that really needs one for a guy who will get burned like toast in coverage and be out of the league very soon.

LOL.. DRC for Bradie James? Yeah, let's trade our youngest corner to a rival that really needs one for a guy who will get burned like toast in coverage and be out of the league very soon.

Don't underrate Bradie James. He leads this team in tackles year in and year out for a reason. Lee might win that battle this year, but Bradie James is still a damn good LB. He'd be a lot better in the middle than anybody else you have in Philly.

Don't underrate Bradie James. He leads this team in tackles year in and year out for a reason. Lee might win that battle this year, but Bradie James is still a damn good LB. He'd be a lot better in the middle than anybody else you have in Philly.

Just getting good players does not a team make. If that were the case, Philly would be 5-0. Their problem is not lack of talent, it's the fact that they don't play like a team.

Yeah, and that reason is because he is the ILB in a 3-4, who typically gets the most tackles, and he used to be really really good. I wouldn't count on him being effective past this season, especially in a 4-3, which requires a different kind of agility out of inside linebackers. DRC is really talented and he's going to be around for a loooooong time. He's untradeable right now with Asante and Aso both in their 30's. One of them is going to go before DRC... unless he totally starts blowing this season.