Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Tebow mania: he wins, so he's in

New starting quarterback Tim Tebow's fourth-quarter heroics — in which he threw two touchdown passes in the game's final three minutes — were enough for the 2010 first-round draft pick to keep the starting job.

"We said all along, you know, Tim is a work in progress," Fox said. "It was only his fourth start in the National Football League, and he'll just continue to get better.

"I think he'll tell you, and I know I'd tell you, I liked the last five minutes better than the first 55. But those are things, he knows it, I know it, and we feel like he'll improve."

Fox was then asked if Tebow gives the Broncos a "better chance to win" — a fair question considering the offensive futility of the first three and a half quarters. The coach laughed, knowing he was hearing the phrase he uttered several times about choosing Kyle Orton​ as the team's starter.

"I'll probably never use that statement again. It does get thrown back at me quite a bit." Fox said, laughing. "I mean, we're 2-4, he's 2-2 as an NFL starter, and we'll just leave it at that."

Lindsay H. Jones, Denver Post

Tebow did absolutely nothing for 55 minutes. He looked turrible. Then in the last five he did what he does. He won. I don't know what the future holds for Tebow and the Broncos, but I do think that he's earned the right to figure that out on the field.

Hate the Broncos, love me some TEBOW!!

Guest Phailadelphia

If anyone but Tebow plays like ass then wins a crazy comeback against a winless team in the 4th quarter they'd get SLAUGHTERED by the national media. But because it's Tebow he gets praise? I like the guy but this is just getting out of hand.

Did anyone else see the irony in the ESPN headline "Tebow stuns winless Dolphins"?

He only won because the Dolphins are hapless. I like Tebow but the guy can't throw worth a damn. His balls are wobbly and usually off target. He plays pretty good in the spread offense but he isn't a starting caliber QB in the NFL.

If anyone but Tebow plays like ass then wins a crazy comeback against a winless team in the 4th quarter they'd get SLAUGHTERED by the national media. But because it's Tebow he gets praise? I like the guy but this is just getting out of hand.

Did anyone else see the irony in the ESPN headline "Tebow stuns winless Dolphins"?

Tony Romo does the opposite. (j/k j/k)

I'd take a Tebow performance over playing well the whole time and choking in the last quarter.

At the end of the day, he won. That is all that matters to a Denver team that is suddenly right back in the AFC West race. And I disagree that the media would slaughter anyone else.

Wasn't he like 4-17 the first 55 minutes or something like that? lol

Meh. John Elway made a hall of fame career out coming back from playing shitty early in games in Denver. I think we can give Tebow a few more games at least.

Seems like Tebow suffocated in the conservative offense that the coaches supposedly had crafted just for him.. Strange that when the offense had no choice but to open up that Tebow did much better. I think if I saw the stat right Tebow now has as many 13+ point comebacks in the 4th quarter in just two partial seasons of starting as John Elway did in his whole career ( I am not saying Tebow is the next Elway...but just pointing out one stat). Tebow does have to improve...accuracy, reading the blitz, finding the hot route, and the amount of time that he holds the ball making a decision. It almost appears that when he has no choice but to go with his first insticnt that he works his magic. I don't know what the long term future holds for Tebow and the Broncos....but at least he can be exciting to watch.

Seems like Tebow suffocated in the conservative offense that the coaches supposedly had crafted just for him.. Strange that when the offense had no choice but to open up that Tebow did much better. I think if I saw the stat right Tebow now has as many 13+ point comebacks in the 4th quarter in just two partial seasons of starting as John Elway did in his whole career ( I am not saying Tebow is the next Elway...but just pointing out one stat). Tebow does have to improve...accuracy, reading the blitz, finding the hot route, and the amount of time that he holds the ball making a decision. It almost appears that when he has no choice but to go with his first insticnt that he works his magic. I don't know what the long term future holds for Tebow and the Broncos....but at least he can be exciting to watch.

Tebow has only won 2 games. I find that stat highly doubtful.

Yeah, Tebow seems to play at his best when the "backyard" aspect of the game comes into play and things break down. I don't know that a guy can make a career out of that without learning how to play in a structured offense, but I'm also not doubting that Tebow can learn how to do that.

As of right now, John Fox summed it up best: he's a work in progress. However, you said it pretty right yourself: At least he can be exciting to watch.