AL_Royalty

UPDATE: Brandon Flowers Pro Bowl Campaign

There is a handful of cornerbacks with at least 3 or more picks in the AFC, and they all are hoping to fill the few precious spots at CB on the AFC Pro Bowl team. I know it's a little early to be talking Pro Bowl, but just for fun let's look at the numbers.

Brandon Flowers: 4 picks (T-1st in AFC), 26 tackles, 11 passes defended (T-1st in NFL), 1 pick six (T-1st NFL)

Darrelle Revis: 4 picks (T-1st in AFC), 20 tackles, 10 passes defended (T-3rd in NFL) 1 pick six (T-1st in NFL)

Kyle Arrington: 4 Picks (T-1st in AFC), 24 tackles, 6 passes defended

Antonio Cromartie: 3 picks (3rd in AFC), 22 tackles, 5 passes defended

Given the stats collected so far this season, Flowers is leading the charge among AFC CBs. He's one heck of a player, and that we knew. Now he's making a run at becoming elite. If he can keep this pace up, he'll be a shoe-in for Honolulu. Revis is regarded as the best cornerback in the AFC, if not in the entire game, and Flowers currently has even better numbers than he does.

Given the info that we have this season, who do you think is the best CB in the AFC?

Flowers is one of my favorite DBs in the NFL. I watched two Chiefs games last season and could see just how good this kid was. I will agree with you in that he is becoming elite and I don't see why he won't be a Pro Bowler.

Yeah the guy is a monster. That's for sure. Would you say he's the best doing it in the AFC right now?

Yeah the guy is a monster. That's for sure. Would you say he's the best doing it in the AFC right now?

I don't know if I'm ready to say he is the best yet but he's in my top 3. I think he is the most well rounded corner as far as tackling, coverage and take aways.

What the hell? I thought he was having a "bad" year.

who do you think is the best CB in the AFC?

Revis, no question.

Joe Haden and Brandon Flowers would be the guys I'd go to, Haden has been incredible this year, the only real slip up he had was when the team didn't break the huddle in time, and he was just the closest guy to AJ Green at the time when the Bengals scored that last minute TD.

What the hell? I thought he was having a "bad" year.

No sir. He's playing well, and is still the man!

I'll vote for him.

Me too brother. Me too. Good to see you commenting. Haven't seen you around here for awhile.

Joe Haden and Brandon Flowers would be the guys I'd go to, Haden has been incredible this year, the only real slip up he had was when the team didn't break the huddle in time, and he was just the closest guy to AJ Green at the time when the Bengals scored that last minute TD.

Yeah for sure man. People don't talk as much about Flowers as they should, but you never hear about Haden on account of him playing for the Browns. These two kids are the future of the position, barring injuries.

Flowers picked off two passes against the Raiders, returning one for a touchdown. For his contributions to Kansas City’s impressive 28-0 win over the Raiders, Flowers has been named the AFC defensive player of the week.

It’s the first such award for Flowers in his career. He has four interceptions on the season, and the Chiefs have rebounded from an 0-3 start to even their record at 3-3.

Flowers told me Monday that the Chiefs are the team to beat in the AFC West. It’s hard to disagree with him.

THERE YOU GO BRANDON!!!!

Revis is better, I think, but not by much. It's always hard to judge CBs, since the best CBs are generally not thrown at nearly as much as the worse ones- thus tackles, passes defensed, and INTs is not really a good way to judge. It probably should be a ratio of how many times they are thrown at, compared to how many completions, INTs, Passes defensed, etc., not just the raw numbers.

I was actually looking for those stat lines on Pro-football-reference.com. I know they have these types of stats somewhere on the site, but I couldn't find them. I saw them somewhere last season. If anyone can help me out on that, I'd appreciate it.

Well I mean in Revis you have a guy who has reached his prime and is at elite, shutdown status. Flowers isn't there yet but in his third year (2nd?) he's not too far from that level.

Well I mean in Revis you have a guy who has reached his prime and is at elite, shutdown status. Flowers isn't there yet but in his third year (2nd?) he's not too far from that level.

This is actually his fourth year. You're right on the money with this. :yeahthat: Revis is a monster because he's been at this level for awhile and has earned the "shutdown" tag.

The thing about Flowers is he's been playing at a high level for the last two seasons and keeps getting better. If the Chiefs can keep their rally up and stay n the hunt for a division championship, even the casual fan will know the name "Brandon Flowers."

He should be in the discussion by the end of the season, but I'd just be happy with a Pro Bowl birth.

Since i live 35 minutes from Blacksburg i've been a Flowers fan forever so i'd say Flowers and Revis is and will always be elite.

Flowers and Revis for the Pro Bowl.

ProFootballFocus has those stats if you want them. Here's the guys we've been talking about, and some of their other top AFC corners.

Darrelle Revis 33 targets, 10 catches allowed, 120 yards allowed, no TDs, 4 INT's, 6 PD's.

Joe Haden 31 targets, 13 catches allowed, 191 yards allowed, 1 TD allowed, 9 PD's

Johnathan Joseph 35 targets, 21 catches allowed, 254 yards allowed, 1 TD allowed, 3 INT's, 2 PD's

Brandon Flowers, 35 targets, 20 catches allowed, 285 yards allowed, 7 TD's allowed, 4 INT's 4 PD's

Tennessee's 3 top Corners:

94 targets, 56 catches allowed, 581 yards allowed, 3 TD's allowed, 4 INT's, 11 PD's

So yeah, Revis is killing it as usual.

Great find Razor. That right there is why Revis still the best. Receivers just take a vacation to Revis Island when they play the Jets.

Roughly half of those targets, yards, int's and catches allowed are from the Miami game alone. It really seems like Brandon Marshall is the only guy who challenges Revis in terms of physicality.

I'd argue that Revis, Ike Taylor, Joe Haden are all candidates for best CB in the AFC.

I dont see any realistic argument that a guy on KC gets more press than a guy on the Browns. Cleveland is the larger market (17th in the US compared to 31st for Kansas City). Also, besides last year, KC hasnt exactly been world beaters on the field. They are 3-3 just like the Browns.

I'd argue that Revis, Ike Taylor, Joe Haden are all candidates for best CB in the AFC.

I dont see any realistic argument that a guy on KC gets more press than a guy on the Browns. Cleveland is the larger market (17th in the US compared to 31st for Kansas City). Also, besides last year, KC hasnt exactly been world beaters on the field. They are 3-3 just like the Browns.

There are a few really good CBs in the league right now, for sure. Ike is playing great this year, and Revis is the one of best in the NFL every year. Haden is a beast, too, but I think the two main reasons that he doesn't get the pub of some of the other guys—including Flowers—is because he's only a sophomore and all of these other guys have been doing it longer, and because the Browns haven't had success since they returned to the NFL.

The Chiefs have only had last year, but that was recent and Flowers had a good year on the way to the playoffs. People need to see a little longevity from a player first, and some team success doesn't hurt. When Haden does what he's doing for the rest of this year and starts off strong next year, people will start talking. He's one hell of a player.

P.S. Flowers was on ESPN 2 for a five minute interview yesterday on that show All 32.