Sign in to follow this  
housemd

The best 1 loss team

Saw this on College Football Live...They had a debate on who's the best 1 loss team in CFB...They were between Bama and Oregon...Let's see what you think...

That's a tough choice if you had to choose between the two. Oregon let LSU score 40 points but also managed to put up 27 points against an elite defense (yes, they were trash-time, but points are points). 'Bama couldn't score against LSU and had an atrocious kicking game that probably cost them the game, but LSU also played some dominant defense and their offense was shut down by an elite defense. Offensively Oregon is much more dominant than 'Bama, but defensively 'Bama is much better than Oregon.

The upcoming game between Oklahoma/Oklahoma State also has to enter the discussion. If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma and remains undefeated then they deserve the NCG bid. If Oklahoma ends up beating Oklahoma State then it'll be a tough battle for the NGC but I think that Oklahoma would deserve it over 'Bama/Oregon simply because they have yet to lose to LSU. This year has been pretty entertaining in regards to the NCG IMO. :yep:

Edited by Patriots2994

I would certainly include Oklahoma and Arkansas in this debate...Ok,Oklahoma lost to unranked Texas Tech but they're still one of the best in CFB...Arkansas lost their only game to Bama and they play every game with their maximum...Those 4 teams are the ones we have to discuss...

Really, I have to go with Alabama (no homer) just due to the fact that they lost to the number one team in the nation by 3 points in OT. Best conference with two of the best teams going head to head and you only lose by 3 and dominate everyone else on your schedule is pretty legit.

I would certainly include Oklahoma and Arkansas in this debate...Ok,Oklahoma lost to unranked Texas Tech but they're still one of the best in CFB...Arkansas lost their only game to Bama and they play every game with their maximum...Those 4 teams are the ones we have to discuss...

Well Arkansas DESERVES to be in the discussion but we all know they wouldn't beat LSU in the NCG. The teams we need to consider are Oregon, 'Bama, Oklahoma, & Oklahoma State. Boise State killed their chances yesterday and Stanford showed everyone their true, overrated colors. Like I said before, Oregon & 'Bama both had their shots and blew 'em against LSU. It's time for either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State to step up to the plate and prove why they deserve to be in the NCG.

Really, I have to go with Alabama (no homer) just due to the fact that they lost to the number one team in the nation by 3 points in OT. Best conference with two of the best teams going head to head and you only lose by 3 and dominate everyone else on your schedule is pretty legit.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm with ATL on this one. I'd give Alabama the slight edge over Oregon.

Also, don't forget that LSU still has to play Arkansas. If the Razorbacks can find a way to pull the upset, this could be a verrrry interesting national championship situation.

It's was gonna say Bama easy, but look at what they've done. Their only loss was to LSU while blowing out Arkansas AND Penn State. Then again, Oregon's only loss was to LSU while blowing out Stanford. I'd still go with Bama but the resumes are closer than I had thought.

This sums it up for me.

I'm with Bama but I don't know why Pats2994 is talking bout Okie State when they're undefeated RIGHT NOW...If Oklahoma beats them in their matchup,then we'll consider Okie State...

Oregon disposes of teams on their coast, so it's hard to just say 'Bama for me. I think Oregon and LSU might have a rematch in the NCG, and I'm calling it if Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State.

I think it's either Alabama or Oregon. The magic number for those teams is 4.

4 turnovers for Oregon vs LSU, which is the difference between being undefeated and having one loss. The Ducks had the second best offensive production against the LSU defense this year, with West Virginia having the most success.

4 missed field goals for Alabama against LSU accounts for the team's only blemish.

I can't pick Oklahoma, and not because of the ugly loss to Texas Tech, but they are now playing without Ryan Broyles. I think Oklahoma State is going to win out anyway, and get into the championship game. LSU still has a couple of hurdles to get over before I can put them in the other seat.

Hopefully USC can take Oregon out of the one-loss discussion this weekend. Fight On!

Edited by Anthony

Guest Phailadelphia

Well Arkansas DESERVES to be in the discussion but we all know they wouldn't beat LSU in the NCG. The teams we need to consider are Oregon, 'Bama, Oklahoma, & Oklahoma State. Boise State killed their chances yesterday and Stanford showed everyone their true, overrated colors. Like I said before, Oregon & 'Bama both had their shots and blew 'em against LSU. It's time for either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State to step up to the plate and prove why they deserve to be in the NCG.

You would consider Oklahoma but not Arkansas? And why is that? Arkansas is the better team.

1. Alabama

Downside - They lost to the #1 team at home, in overtime.

Upside - They've played a tough schedule.. and only have one loss.

2. Oregon

Downside - They lost to the #1 team by more than Bama, at a neutral site.

Upside - They've dominated their conference.. including Stanford at home.

3. Arkansas

Downside - They still have to play LSU and already have one loss.

Upside - If they beat LSU, they could leapfrog the rest of the SEC in ranking.

4. Clemson

Downside - They are looked at as the underdog.

Upside - People have noticed them, especially since they're the new favorite in the ACC.

5. Oklahoma

Downside - They lost to an unranked Texas Tech.

Upside - They did beat Texas.

6. Stanford

Downside - They lost the biggest game of their season, by too much.

Upside - They'll at least have the Heisman trophy in their case.

7. Virginia Tech

Downside - They lost to Clemson, the other one-loss team in the conference.

Upside - They're the usual favorite in the ACC.

8. Boise State

Downside - They lost with the one of the easiest schedule of the one-loss teams.

Upside - They'll get a decent bowl game where they'll dominate again.

9. Southern Miss

Downside - Nobody really knows they're a one-loss team.

Upside - They're doing better than anyone thought they would.

4. Clemson

Downside - They are looked at as the underdog.

Upside - People have noticed them, especially since they're the new favorite in the ACC.

I would put some of the others you have listed lower above Clemson.

5. Oklahoma

Downside - They lost to an unranked Texas Tech.

Upside - They did beat Texas.

:dry:

8. Boise State

Downside - They lost with the one of the easiest schedule of the one-loss teams.

Upside - They'll get a decent bowl game where they'll dominate again.

Not if TCU wins the MWC, and right now the Frogs have the inside track.