Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Queston: Is it a must that I beat Oblivion before buying Skyrim?

I know I know, I should have beaten it for almost owning it 4 years now...

Not in the slightest.

Just don't read the book in Skyrim titled The Oblivion Crisis if you want to go back and beat it sometime, because that spoils everything.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1214920p1.html

Bethesda has released patch 1.3 for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The patch came to Steam last week and is now available on Xbox Live. It will be available shortly on PSN. Bethesda notes that the following fixes are included in the patch:

• General stability improvements
  • Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
  • Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

While this won't fix Skyrim's ongoing lag problems, Bethesda previously said that those fixes will be coming in future updates. For PC gamers, Bethesda also promises that "support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware)" is coming in an additional update this week.

Well, yeah, except for the fact that Oblivion's ending was just completely insane.

I agree with Duck, Skyrim's main quest ending sucked.

Yes, the ending of Oblivion was one of the better game endings.

In this one

after you beat Alduin and leave Sovngarde, there is no ending cinematics or anything special, you just go on with exploring the world. Seriously? You just saved the fucking world from the apocalypse, and there is no fanfare?

I am restarting the game and completely ignoring the main quest. I am hoping that the game captures me as wholly as Oblvion.

Ignoring the main quest is fun... I don't get why so many people want to rush through it.

Ignoring the main quest is fun... I don't get why so many people want to rush through it.

In Oblivion I didn't get to the main quest until well over 45 hours. The game just managed to capture me from the moment I left the Imperial sewers. For some reason I just didn't get into this one nearly was much...and Skyrim was far and away my most highly anticipated game in the last 5 years.

In Oblivion I didn't get to the main quest until well over 45 hours. The game just managed to capture me from the moment I left the Imperial sewers. For some reason I just didn't get into this one nearly was much...and Skyrim was far and away my most highly anticipated game in the last 5 years.

How much time do you put into your first play through?

How much time do you put into your first play through?

Somewhere around 55 hours. I did a little exploration, but nothing seemed to hold my attention.

Somewhere around 55 hours. I did a little exploration, but nothing seemed to hold my attention.

Lame... I hit 55 hours and still have a little under half of the main quest line to do. And the only reason I got as far as I did was so I could get to riften and unveil the thieves guild. lol

And on your first playthrough did you finish all the factions? If you did main quest line and all of the factions.. You should hit 70 hours pretty easy, IMO.

Unless you are on easy difficulty or something... lol

Lame... I hit 55 hours and still have a little under half of the main quest line to do. And the only reason I got as far as I did was so I could get to riften and unveil the thieves guild. lol

And on your first playthrough did you finish all the factions? If you did main quest line and all of the factions.. You should hit 70 hours pretty easy, IMO.

Unless you are on easy difficulty or something... lol

I didn't do much outside of the main quest line. I couldn't figure out how to track down the Dark Brotherhood, which was my favorite guild in Oblivion, so I gave up and went about the main. I did spend some time with the Companions, but once they turned me into a werewolf, I ran all over the world wreaking all sorts of havoc. I had my fun with that and got on with beating the game.

And I don't mess with the game difficulty, I make it no harder nor any easier than default.

I didn't do much outside of the main quest line. I couldn't figure out how to track down the Dark Brotherhood, which was my favorite guild in Oblivion, so I gave up and went about the main. I did spend some time with the Companions, but once they turned me into a werewolf, I ran all over the world wreaking all sorts of havoc. I had my fun with that and got on with beating the game.

And I don't mess with the game difficulty, I make it no harder nor any easier than default.

The Brotherhood is in one of the towns, (I want to say Riften, actually) you hear a rumor that someone is trying to summon them. I believe it must progress from there, I haven't actually joined them yet. Still trying to get 20 shouts.

Edited by Thanatos19

K. I'm gonna come out and say it. This game sucks. I'm at like 20ish hours and I am so sick of this pointless game. No ffense to people who like it, but it's so repetitive, load times are really long, and it's just a waste of time. Awful.

K. I'm gonna come out and say it. This game sucks. I'm at like 20ish hours and I am so sick of this pointless game. No ffense to people who like it, but it's so repetitive, load times are really long, and it's just a waste of time. Awful.

Haha. Didn't you borrow it first like I suggested?

Or did you blindly purchase it? If so.. hopefully you at least got it used, rather than full price brand new.

You have to do the quest " Gerlod the Kind" to see the Dark Brother Hood. I'm currently the leader of the Dark Brother Hood

The only type of gamer who would think Skyrim sucks is someone who doesn't like RPGs, which we told you beforehand. You are in an exceptionally small minority here. Skyrim is in the conversation for the best game of the decade, easily. They fix the loading problems on consoles, which I haven't run into yet on the PC, then I think it is the game of the decade.

If you don't like open-world games, then you shouldn't have bought Skyrim, and I'm pretty sure I said something along those lines. If you have to be told where to go and what to do, because following linear quests is how you roll, then you shouldn't have bought the game.

It's not pointless at all, it's freedom. It's a role-playing game. The Fallout series and the Elder Scroll series, are both very similar series with a huge sandbox for you to go to play in. If you refuse to listen to the other people in the world because you're listening to music, and you just want to go in and do quests, you're completely and totally missing the point- which is to be able to immerse yourself in that world.

This is pretty much the simplest way I can put it-

In other RPGs, (DA:O, ME and ME2), you sit down and check your quest logs and ask yourself, what do I need to go finish today?

In Skyrim, you sit down and ask yourself, what do I *want* to go today?

In other RPGs, the computers and NPCs tell you what you have to do.

In Skyrim, the computers and NPCs tell you what you *can* go do, if you choose to do so, but you don't have to go and do *anything* you don't want to.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Made a super hot mage on PC version. Downloaded so many mods for it. Looks so much better now and runs alot smoother. If anyone is interested, I'll PM a link to all the best mods (saves you from having to look lolz)

Made a super hot mage on PC version. Downloaded so many mods for it. Looks so much better now and runs alot smoother. If anyone is interested, I'll PM a link to all the best mods (saves you from having to look lolz)

I bet you got the naked women mod you perverted aussie! :p

• Upvote 1

Are you saying the mods make it run smoother? Send me a link, I'd try that out.

4GB Skyrim:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

TES games have always used 2gb of ram only. This lets you use your whole computer's awesome so it runs alot smoother. Just drag the skyrim4gb.exe and .dll into your main skyrim folder. (You can also run it from the download folder, but I like everything in one place)

Simple Borderless Window:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4

Move the SBW.exe into the main skyrim folder. If you choose to run the game in a window in the launcher, click exit on the launcher and then run this exe. It will be completely borderless making alt-tabbing easier. And when everything is run in a window, performance always improves. Don't have to but its cool on some days when I lag

Skyrim Better Performance:

http://www.curse.com/mods/skyrim/skyrim-better-performance

Basically, drag the .dll into the main skyrim folder and it will run smoother. Worked for me. Could only run low specs, but now, can run on high specs WITH anti-aliasing with this thingy. Sick shit. Doesn't work for everyone apparently.

Make an account on Skyrim Nexus for the first two if you can't download it. Takes like a minute and allows you unlimited mod downloads.

Other mods I use are:

- Better Females by Bella

- Cool Sims Hair Pack

- Detailed Bodies, lips and Eyes

- Sub Arch Mage robes with Nocturnal's robes

- Enhanced Night Sky

- Glowing Ore Veins

- Imperial Armor looks like Roman Armor (sooooo cool)

- Lock Pick pro (sweet spot indicator for picking locks)

- No more blocky faces

- Real Smoke and Embers Hi Res (must need for mages)

- Realistic Water (looks so much better weeeow)

- Sexy Crimson nightingale armor for female

- Flora Overhaul by Vurts

If you want those, I'll upload a pack which is like 300MB. But if there's any individual one you want, tell me and I'll give you that one/those ones etc etc.

Edited by funnygunny

4GB Skyrim:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

TES games have always used 2gb of ram only. This lets you use your whole computer's awesome so it runs alot smoother. Just drag the skyrim4gb.exe and .dll into your main skyrim folder. (You can also run it from the download folder, but I like everything in one place)

Simple Borderless Window:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4

Move the SBW.exe into the main skyrim folder. If you choose to run the game in a window in the launcher, click exit on the launcher and then run this exe. It will be completely borderless making alt-tabbing easier. And when everything is run in a window, performance always improves. Don't have to but its cool on some days when I lag

Skyrim Better Performance:

http://www.curse.com/mods/skyrim/skyrim-better-performance

Basically, drag the .dll into the main skyrim folder and it will run smoother. Worked for me. Could only run low specs, but now, can run on high specs WITH anti-aliasing with this thingy. Sick shit. Doesn't work for everyone apparently.

Make an account on Skyrim Nexus for the first two if you can't download it. Takes like a minute and allows you unlimited mod downloads.

Other mods I use are:

- Better Females by Bella

- Cool Sims Hair Pack

- Detailed Bodies, lips and Eyes

- Sub Arch Mage robes with Nocturnal's robes

- Enhanced Night Sky

- Glowing Ore Veins

- Imperial Armor looks like Roman Armor (sooooo cool)

- Lock Pick pro (sweet spot indicator for picking locks)

- No more blocky faces

- Real Smoke and Embers Hi Res (must need for mages)

- Realistic Water (looks so much better weeeow)

- Sexy Crimson nightingale armor for female

- Flora Overhaul by Vurts

If you want those, I'll upload a pack which is like 300MB. But if there's any individual one you want, tell me and I'll give you that one/those ones etc etc.

If you think they're all good, then just upload the pack.

Thanks a lot, man.

Though I won't be able to tell you what all works until a couple weeks when I'm back at school- so no rush.

The 4GB Skyrim mod- does your computer have to have 4GB of RAM to run this? I think that's what it is saying, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Thanatos19

This is fucking awesomeness.

Edited by Duck Fallas

Cool wallpaper, (not made by me).

j6s76r.jpg

Edited by Thanatos19

My Arch Mage: Elbereth the White (MASSIVE CHAFFE FROM LORD OF THE RINGS =D)

TESV-2011-12-22-21-22-07-32.png

TESV-2011-12-22-21-22-28-72.png

TESV-2011-12-22-21-27-05-31.png

TESV-2011-12-22-21-32-56-31.png

TESV-2011-12-22-21-33-03-95.png

TESV-2011-12-22-21-34-35-97.png

TESV-2011-12-22-21-34-49-19.png

Those robes replace Arch Mage robes. Distance, flora, hair and detailed body mods can be seen too XD

I got this game for Christmas. I didn't touch it at all Christmas day because of the NBA and trying out Assassin's Creed (Yeah, the original, never tried the series out). But now I can't stop playing this. I'm a level 5 Nord right now. I think I'm doing something wrong to level up because I feel like I should be way higher than for where I am in the game. I'm just gonna run around and look at sidequests tonight and save the main missions for a time where I have more spare time. But this game is good, really good.