Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

The NCAA screwed me

Well because the NCAA is a bunch of nazis that only make it so they are the only ones allowed to make money off the athletes name. Ya they made me take down my website and ruled me ineligible until it's down because they say it's an athlete promoting a business. Even if that business is my own. Dumbest shit I've ever heard.

So they said I'm allowed to put up a new site if I don't use my name, so I could use a company name. And I can't have my picture on there at all.

So I have no fucking clue where to go from here. Anyone got an idea for a photography business name?

Wow. I didn't think it mattered if you were making money, and that it only mattered if you were using your role as a student-athlete to make money.

Possible Football related business names, if you want to go that route:

3rd and Short Photos?

Big Gain Portraits?

I just discovered gridironphotography.com is actually available. Which might be kinda cool. But most of my photos are actually going to be travel based landscape photography kinda stuff. Any ideas?

I'd stay away from the football type names if I were you... And I am thinking long term here... I don't understand why the NCAA is so much in a rage about this anyway? Were you required to report this? How much longer do you have to play football...? Do you have future playing football?! Because it sure seems like you have a future in photography if you so choose it.

Portraitscape?

I think that has a decent ring to it, what do you think?

I'd stay away from the football type names if I were you... And I am thinking long term here... I don't understand why the NCAA is so much in a rage about this anyway? Were you required to report this? How much longer do you have to play football...? Do you have future playing football?! Because it sure seems like you have a future in photography if you so choose it.

Well it seems like he can still sell his pictures, just can't give his name. Its not good but shouldn't be a big deal.

Portraitscape?

I think that has a decent ring to it, what do you think?

The only problem is I'm not much of a portrait shooter, my favorite thing to shoot is stars at night and I was trying to think of a way maybe to incorporate that.

I've always known that the NCAA didn't allow people to promote a business, which makes sense because then some booster could pay a star player a shit ton of money to be on their commercial. I also could see if I was running around going "buy prints from me! I play football at MSU!" but I'm not, I want people to buy a print because they like it. It's just dumb that I can't even mention my name anywhere.

AA Photography... Tell them that you are a recovering alcoholic.

• Upvote 2

Azure Lights?

Midnight Azure Photography?

(Azure is one of my personal favorite words, BTW)

Eh, if you make a name that leads specifically to one type of photo, people won't assume that you can do anything. At the same time, this whole nighttime stargazing thing is kind of cool sounding.

NorthernSkyPhotography. I dunno.

Azure Lights?

Midnight Azure Photography?

(Azure is one of my personal favorite words, BTW)

Mine too, but only after hearing the Asari translation for it in Mass Effect 2.

I had a thought today.... Studio64, it would have to be Studio-64.com, (64 is my number for those who don't know). I like how short it is, I hated how long andyaustinphotography.com looked when you had to write it out. Studio 64 would be really easy for people to remember

• Upvote 1

I had a thought today.... Studio64, it would have to be Studio-64.com, (64 is my number for those who don't know). I like how short it is, I hated how long andyaustinphotography.com looked when you had to write it out. Studio 64 would be really easy for people to remember

I like it. Short, to the point.. Doesn't limit you to one type of photo like adding "Midnight" or something to the name. Also sounds very professional.

^my feelings as well. I wish I could get it without the dash though...but studio64.com is already taken by the dumbest website ever. All it is is one picture that says "Have a great day" really? Wasting a perfectly good domain name

You don't think that sounds too much like the club "studio 54" from the movie? Is that the image you want? yes it is easy to remember and has a great flow, but the movie/club is the first thing that came into my mind.

You could always try spelling out the numbers. Putting digits in a domain name always looked cheap to me but it may be because there's not many that do it.

studiosixtyfour.com

As for the NCAA shutting you down, could you just make it where your prints were available to be purchased? Or does it have to be shut down no matter what because you've already sold some before? Either way.. with owning the other domain, it'd be smart to link to your new one with a short comment explaining the situation (without bashing the NCAA too hard). Wouldn't want to lose your fanbase, ya know?

I talked with a photographer friend of mine today, he pointed out that if I do use studio64, that it makes people think I'm a portrait photographer. And I do some of that, but it's far from my main business. I don't want to make it too much about landscape though because I take a lot of football esque shots of the stadium and helmets and such.... so ya, I'm stuck.

As for the NCAA shutting you down, could you just make it where your prints were available to be purchased? Or does it have to be shut down no matter what because you've already sold some before? Either way.. with owning the other domain, it'd be smart to link to your new one with a short comment explaining the situation (without bashing the NCAA too hard). Wouldn't want to lose your fanbase, ya know?

They told me if I hadn't already sold some prints that I might be able to keep it up until I get a new one, but because I sold some it needed to come down. Because it had only been open for a few days my fan base wasn't exactly irreplaceable. Although I do have a facebook fan page with like 40 fans, so I will be telling them via facebook. I emailed our head lady and she hasn't emailed me back on whether or not I can keep the fan page running, but I don't think it should be a problem because i haven't and don't plan to sell prints from there.

This just seems... wrong.

You should have a right to use your name- as long as you're not trying to use the fact that you play football in the NCAA- in order to promote your own product.

Have you thought about looking through the rules and seeing what the exact phrase is?

I just don't get this. If a student-athlete was doing paintings, for example, and selling them under their name, (which would make sense since they're the ones that , ya know, did the painting), the NCAA could tell them they're not allowed to do that?

I ask because a friend of mine who is really good at painting did exactly that and they didn't ever get told they had to stop.

Don't worry about saying it all in the name, you aren't Office Depot.

Come up with the name, even if it doesn't cover all of what you do, then on the actual site you can explain all of the types of photos. It is going to be very tough to come up with one business name that covers everything that you offer. Find a name that suits YOU the individual, then perhaps take a word or two that BEST describe what you feel is your photographic specialty and combine them. Voila! Maybe that can be the domain name.

You know you better than any of us here.

This just seems... wrong.

You should have a right to use your name- as long as you're not trying to use the fact that you play football in the NCAA- in order to promote your own product.

Have you thought about looking through the rules and seeing what the exact phrase is?

I just don't get this. If a student-athlete was doing paintings, for example, and selling them under their name, (which would make sense since they're the ones that , ya know, did the painting), the NCAA could tell them they're not allowed to do that?

I ask because a friend of mine who is really good at painting did exactly that and they didn't ever get told they had to stop.

I agree, it seems off. But I'm not going to fight the NCAA, it's easier just to change it. It's screwed up because I'm a non scholarship athlete, and well with football there is no way I could possibly hold down a real job to make money on the side

Don't worry about saying it all in the name, you aren't Office Depot.

Come up with the name, even if it doesn't cover all of what you do, then on the actual site you can explain all of the types of photos. It is going to be very tough to come up with one business name that covers everything that you offer. Find a name that suits YOU the individual, then perhaps take a word or two that BEST describe what you feel is your photographic specialty and combine them. Voila! Maybe that can be the domain name.

You know you better than any of us here.

I feel ya, thanks for the input..

I thought of a new one possibly,

Maybe bigskylandscapes.com... Montana is known as Big Sky Country for those of you who don't know, and most of my shots will be here.