BucD

The Official Buccaneers Offseason Thread

Dominik said they'll be taking their time bringing in an OC/DC and assistants. They don't want to rush it. After hearing that I'm not expecting us to have a OC and/or DC until late next week at the earliest.

@TKras (Tom Krasniqi):

Interesting.. RT @ChrisCarlinSNY 2 names you can virtually guarantee will surface to join Schiano in Tampa -- Butch Davis and John McNulty

@realrockriley (realrockriley):

Mark Dominik says they will spend in free agency this off season! pic.twitter.com/WFYT0e4i

We spent in free agency last off-season. The real question is how much and who are they looking for?

Well they have to spend quite a bit...I mean if they don't they'd have a fuck load to spend next year...and next year's FA class might not be as good...

We'll see of course...

I'm not expecting any splashes, but I'm sure we'll add some veterans to the roster.

Ken Wisenhunt denied permission to interview McNulty for OC. LaConfora said the Bucs were likely to offer him the position too, but he also kept telling us that Sherman would be HC lol.

Word is McNulty plans on talking to Cardinals ownership about getting Wisenhunt overruled, so we'll see. No word on Butch Davis or anything yet. Hopefully we hear news about our staff soon.

Ken Wisenhunt denied permission to interview McNulty for OC. LaConfora said the Bucs were likely to offer him the position too, but he also kept telling us that Sherman would be HC lol.

Word is McNulty plans on talking to Cardinals ownership about getting Wisenhunt overruled, so we'll see. No word on Butch Davis or anything yet. Hopefully we hear news about our staff soon.

Wow...

What a fucking bunch of dicks denying a man a promotion like that. I mean I know this happens all the time, but I'll say the same thing about those times too.

Where did you see/hear that McNulty is planning on appealing it with ownership??

If it's not McNulty I hope it's Hue Jackson...

It is just a rumor, but he is in Hawaii right now as a Pro Bowl guest of Larry Fitzgerald.

We'll see, I just hope they don't hire Cignetii as OC, don't feel comfortable with that....

Here is an interview that Schiano had with Duemig for those who want to listen.

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?station=WDAE-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=steveduemig_01.xml&mid=21769594

I love how he says we're going to take more shots instead of being an offense that tries to sustain 12-14 play drives.

Mike Williams to Fizzle Out?; Josh Freeman Inaccurately Criticized

Published Jan. 30, 2012

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

In the midst of a disastrous 4-12 season, there was plenty of chatter about the lack of work ethic for various members of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Former Buc defensive tackle Warren Sapp was critical of the short work days of general manager Mark Dominik. Others said the coaching staff wasn't working hard enough, and plenty of blame went to the players. Since the end of the season, there were some reports from national media members that Tampa Bay Buccaneer quarterback Josh Freeman was one of those players lacking a good work ethic.

After speaking with former coaches from the Bucs, they completely dispute the notion that Freeman wasn't working hard. They felt that Freeman had things to improve, but they were adamant that the effort was there from him. In the first couple of months after Freeman was drafted in 2009, teammates told me he had to pick up the pace, but he did that early in his rookie season. In his young career, Freeman has been attacking his job and putting in the necessary time required by starting quarterbacks. Former Buc coaches said that during the 2011 season, even after Tampa Bay fell out of playoff contention during a 10-game losing streak, Freeman was still working hard and putting in long hours.

Two players who allegedly deserve some criticism for not working hard enough are running back LeGarrette Blount and wide receiver Mike Williams. Sources said both players were not spending the right amount of time preparing their bodies for Sunday. Neither one was hitting the weight room or training room as they should. Former coaches said both players needed to spend regular time in the cold tub and build their bodies in the weight room to play better on Sundays.

Former team staff said Williams in particular was a mess. In the beginning of the season, Williams was struggling to get separation from defensive backs. He thought he was too heavy, so he started losing weight, and by the end of the season, sources said that Williams was too frail and didn't have the strength to fight off jams and re-routes. Williams also was said to be partying a lot at night, and as a result, he was falling asleep during meetings.

One coach said that if Williams doesn't wake up and turn things around, he will have another down year. After that, the Bucs would likely look to replace him, and he could end up hooking on with another team or two before fizzling out of the league. They said they wouldn't be surprised if Williams career fades and he never pans out. If that happens, Williams will indeed become the second coming of Michael Clayton. It is imperative for new head coach Greg Schiano and the new coaching staff to get through to Williams on working harder. Perhaps the disappointing 2011 season will be motivator with Williams halfway through his rookie contract.

Schiano stated he is going to change the culture and create a "Buccaneer Way" of working hard. Schiano inherits some high-effort players in Freeman, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and guard Davin Joseph. Getting Williams and Blount to fall in line will be vital for Tampa Bay in 2012.

Former Buc coaches bemoaned the lack of talent on the roster, and how much the team is made up of players that have been cut by other teams and dependent on playing late-round picks. They said the last five drafts from the team can only be described as terrible.

Getting the team to overachieve like they did in 2010 is possible for Schiano, and at least he has a quarterback who will do everything he can to make it happen.

Source

If true it explains why Mike, and at times Blount, sucked so bad this year.

I did notice Williams seemed a bit lazy and effortless towards the end of the season. Especially in the game in New Orleans. I really hope hes not the next Michael Clayton.

According to lolPeterKing, Schiano wants Butch Davis as DC.

Yup.

Rumor is right now is that Butch Davis will be the DC and Randy Shannon as the LB coach and Dave Campo as DB coach. There was another name as the OL coach, but I cannot remember the name.

I'd LOVE that...

The only one I'm worried about is QB coach and OC....

Fuck you Whisencunt.

EDIT: Tony Wise is the name I was hearing for OL coach...

Edited by BucD

Looks like so far we're working on a good defensive staff. Coaching options for offense is very thin though.

Yup.

Rumor is right now is that Butch Davis will be the DC and Randy Shannon as the LB coach and Dave Campo as DB coach. There was another name as the OL coach, but I cannot remember the name.

I'd LOVE that...

The only one I'm worried about is QB coach and OC....

Fuck you Whisencunt.

EDIT: Tony Wise is the name I was hearing for OL coach...

Wow if that turns out true, thats a damn good defensive staff.

@BucSidelineGuy (TJ Rives):

Heads up #Bucs fans, this likely means several Schiano assts. now coming 2 TB @StevePoliti: Mario Cristobal will be your new Rutgers coach.

Per PR.com:

Sources told the TusconCitizen.com that McNulty wants to come to Tampa and is trying to work out an arrangement with the Cardinals and coach Ken Whisenhunt.

C'mon Whisencunt....don't be a.....cunt.... :shifty:

Well to look at the Cardinals side of it, they'll be losing a coach and it's not all that easy to replace a good coach for positional spots, especially this late in the off-season. Perhaps he's trying to work out a replacement they would be happy with.

I was listening to Duemig interview Gerald earlier. Gerald said he was interviewing Belichick, and Belichick told him a lot of the stuff he learned, he learned straight from Schiano and used it in New England. Can't imagine what exactly it is he learned, but it's hard not to feel even better about the hire after that.

Per RotoWorld:

The Tampa Tribune expects the Bucs to show interest in free agent Mike Tolbert for "several reasons."

New coach Greg Schiano has a history of decidedly run-heavy offenses. The Bucs desperately need a third-down back as well as a short-yardage complement to LeGarrette Blount, who has struggled mightily in both areas. Tolbert is still in his prime at age 26, and the Union-Tribune San Diego suspects the Bolts will allow him to hit the open market.

Feb 3 - 12:39 PM

Source: Tampa Tribune

This would be a GREAT FA signing, IMO.

Couple him, Blount and a guy like David Wilson in the second or Isaiah Pead in the 3rd. Would be a really nice RB rotation, IMO.