RANGA

WalterFootball Early Mock Draft - Top 10

1. coltsb_logo.gif Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford Stanford_logo.gif
    It's now pretty apparent that Peyton Manning won't be back with the Colts next year. That was pretty much obvious for about a month, but it's been confirmed.

We know this pick will Andrew Luck, but the question is where will Manning go, and can he even play? Multiple reports suggest that Manning will have to retire, but I'll believe that when I see it. Manning will probably sign with a team that has the cap room to bring on his entire entourage (Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and possibly Pierre Garcon and Robert Mathis).
  2. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor Baylor_logo.gif
    TRADE!!! As I wrote three weeks ago, I've never predicted a trade in my mocks prior to this because deals seldom occurred in the top five. With the new CBA, however, there's a much greater chance that a transaction like this could happen.

I had the Redskins moving up here in a previous update, but I think the Browns are the favorite to do this for three reasons. First, Peyton Manning is more likely to go to Washington than Cleveland. The Browns have no shot at him, but still might need to move up for Griffin so Seattle or Miami doesn't. Second, Cleveland has more ammunition to move up to No. 2 because of its two first-round picks. And third, I think St. Louis would much rather move down to No. 4 than No. 6 because it will still be able to land either Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon with the fourth pick.

I don't really need to explain why the Browns would want to move up for Robert Griffin. Colt McCoy is a lost cause, so the Brows will select Griffin as their new franchise quarterback. Is Young Griff the prototypical West Coast quarterback? No, but neither was Donovan McNabb, and Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren's pupil, selected him back in 1999.

If the Rams keep this selection, however, it will be Kalil. I've seen Blackmon mocked here, but Kalil is the no-brainer pick.

St. Louis has way too much invested in Sam Bradford to have him suffer David Carr syndrome. The offensive line is a mess, as right tackle Jason Smith stinks and left tackle Rodger Saffold is too overmatched to be stationed on the blind side. With general manager Billy Devaney gone, the Rams can part ways with Smith if they wish. He's been an enormous bust.

Also, Kalil is a much better prospect than Blackmon. It's not even close. He's the best left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas, and aside from Andrew Luck, he's the top player in this class.
  3. vikingsb_logo.gif Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC USC_logo.gif
    This really is as much of a no-brainer as Andrew Luck to the Colts. If Matt Kalil is on the board, the Vikings won't spend two minutes handing in their draft card. Of course, I won't be happy about this because I won't have enough time to write stupid things in my live draft blog.

Kalil is the best non-quarterback in this class, and Minnesota has a major need at left tackle, where the pedestrian Charlie Johnson has sucked all year. The Vikings absolutely need to make sure Christian Ponder is well protected.

In the event that the Rams can't trade their pick and Matt Kalil is not available, I believe the Vikings would take Justin Blackmon. Of course, they could move this selection themselves...
  4. ramsb_logo.gif St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State OklahomaState_logo.gif
    As noted earlier, the Rams would love to move down to No. 4 because they'll still be able to land either Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon. The former is off the board, so the Oklahoma State wideout is the choice.

St. Louis has a huge need for a receiver. It brought in Brandon Lloyd for a fourth-round pick - a trade that would end up poorly for both teams involved - but Lloyd told the media that he plans on following Josh McDaniels this offseason. The Patriots hired McDaniels, so I suppose that means they're getting Lloyd as well.

Some may have Morris Claiborne here if the Rams move down to No. 4, but with the two prospects being about even, I suspect that they'll go with the bigger need. Besides, I believe St. Louis will be able to sign Cortland Finnegan this offseason, as the Tennessee corner may want to reunite with his former head coach.
  5. Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU LSU_logo.gif
    All indications are that the Buccaneers will definitely consider a cornerback in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Aqib Talib could be going to jail, while Ronde Barber will probably retire this offseason. The corner position is a dire need for Tampa.

Morris Claiborne is easily the top talent available, save for Trent Richardson, so this is an easy selection for the Buccaneers.
  6. redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa Iowa_logo.gif
    This selection is very difficult to predict right now because we don't know how the Redskins will handle the quarterback position in free agency. If they don't sign Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn, they'll have to either trade up for Robert Griffin or move down Ryan Tannehill. I had Tannehill in this spot in a previous update.

This mock update will assume that Washington will be able to land Manning or Flynn. If that happens, the Redskins will be able to use this selection on an offensive lineman to make sure their new quarterback stays healthy.

Right tackle Jammal Brown may not be back in 2012. He has no more guaranteed money left on his $27.5 million contract, and Mike Shanahan was quoted as saying that Brown's future depends on his ability to return to 100 percent in the offseason. Considering that Brown has always been hurt throughout his career, Washington will be looking for a new right tackle.

I'm not forcing a right tackle here, by the way. Riley Reiff is the second-best player available behind Trent Richardson. The Alabama running back is a stud, but Shanahan doesn't like spending first-round picks on that position. Besides, taking Richardson doesn't fill a need anyway.
  7. jaguarsb_logo.gif Jacksonville Jaguars: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford Stanford_logo.gif
    Most mocks have Quinton Coples here. I did two weeks ago. After thinking about it though, Coples doesn't seem like the type of player that Gene Smith would want on his team. Coples' effort as a senior was pretty lacking, and Smith is all about securing high-character guys.

Smith is taking a homoclitic approach to Blaine Gabbert, so he'll be willing to do everything in his power to make sure his young quarterback succeeds. That means finding weapons and adding blockers. Both are equally paramount because Gabbert completely falls apart at the first hint of pressure, even closing his eyes on occasion when attempting a pass. It's pretty pathetic.

The right side of the offensive line didn't hold up for the Jaguars last year because right tackle Guy Whimper is a sieve. He's a free agent anyway, and Jacksonville's only alternative is someone named Cameron Bradfield. Bradfield did a decent job in two starts as a rookie, but was an undrafted free agent in 2011, so he can't exactly be counted on with Smith's job potentially on the line.
  8. dolphinsb_logo.gif Miami Dolphins: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina NorthCarolina_logo.gif
    Mocking Quinton Coples to the Dolphins didn't make much sense two weeks ago, but new head coach Joe Philbin announced that he wants to convert this defense to a 4-3. That's a very strange move, given that Miami's stop unit wasn't the problem last year. I already thought the Philbin hire was a curious one to begin with, given the horrible event that just occurred in his life; his illogical moves make my belief stronger.

At any rate, the Dolphins need a pass-rusher across from Cameron Wake regardless of whether they're running the 4-3 or 3-4. The only difference is that Coples becomes a perfect complement to Wake in the former formation.

Caveat emptor on Coples, by the way. The effort wasn't always there when he was a senior, and the only times he looked good in the Senior Bowl was when he was matched up against guards Kelechi Osemele and Senio Kelemte. Tackles Mike Adams and Mitchell Schwartz completely stonewalled him. I wouldn't touch Coples with a top-12 pick, but he'll likely be chosen in the top 10.
  9. panthersb_logo.gif Carolina Panthers: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU LSU_logo.gif
    I listed Michael Brockers in this mock draft for the first time two weeks ago, and I had him going way too late. Brockers is a stud who has a great chance of being a top 9-14 pick. He's the best player available on the consensus board outside of Trent Richardson and maybe Luke Kuechly.

The Panthers have a huge need in the interior of their defensive line. They spent a pair of third-round picks last year on defensive tackles Sione Fua and Terrell McClain. Fua wasn't that bad as a rookie, but McClain was awful, constantly getting abused against the run. Adding an immense talent like Brockers would allow Fua and McClain to rotate next to him depending on the situation.
  10. billsb_logo.gif Buffalo Bills: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina SouthCarolina_logo.gif
    This is a slight reach, but we've seen the Bills do crazy things on Draft Day before. One thing this front office has been infamous of is telegraphing its picks. Chan Gailey repeatedly mentioned acquiring a running back prior to the 2010 NFL Draft, and sure enough, he picked C.J. Spiller despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster.

Gailey has recently harped about not being able to get to the quarterback, and it's easy to understand why. No one on the team finished with more than 5.5 sacks on the year.

Melvin Ingram is currently the top pass-rusher available in the wake of dominant Senior Bowl practices. He's a bit short for a 4-3 scheme (6-1) and his arms are like twigs, but he has elite explosion. The Bills are officially sticking with the 4-3, so he makes more sense than Courtney Upshaw.

Link to the rest: http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

OT in the first is a nightmare scenario.

This is so weird that the 49ers are picking 30. :laugh: I've been used to early forever now.

I was gong to do a mock, but they are going to be so longshot-y and inaccurate this year with the massive quarterback shuffle goin on. Manning, Robert Griffin, Matt Flynn. You essentially have to predict those right in order to predict any picks beyond the 1st pick right. I'll do one up soon but its gunna be rediculous. :panic: