Bay

NHL to make major announcement Thursday

The National Hockey League will make a major announcement in Detroit on Thursday, Feb. 9. The press conference will take place at Comerica Park in Detroit, beginning at 10:30 a.m. ET. It will be carried live on NHL Network and NHL.com. The event will continue at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich.

NHL.com

:think:

Probably the realignment thing...

Probably the realignment thing...

that's my bet

That's what the peckers on nhl.com are saying... lol major announcement.

The press conference will take place at Comerica Park in Detroit

I guess that's where the Winter Classic is next year...?

I guess that's where the Winter Classic is next year...?

Detroit or Ann Arbor.

Sounds to me like a Winter Classic announcement. :shrug:

looks like you nailed it

DETROIT -- The NHL's Winter Classic has grown bigger each season of its five-year existence. It's only fitting that the next stop for the Jan. 1 outdoor game will be at Michigan Stadium, known by many as "The Big House."

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announced Thursday morning the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic -- between Original Six rivals Detroit and Toronto -- will be played at the home of the University of Michigan's football team in Ann Arbor.

Continue Reading

LOL at the NHL Winter Classic.

Here are my legit reasons why I don't like it too much.

-It's nothing more than a money maker.

-The players don't get paid extra for the game.

-It's nothing more than a dressed up regular season contest that sometimes draws more ratings than the Stanley Cup Final (it's true, I looked it up.)

-You run the risk of having star players get hurt on crappy ice.

Edited by BigBen07

LOL at the NHL Winter Classic.

Here are my legit reasons why I don't like it too much.

-It's nothing more than a money maker.

-The players don't get paid extra for the game.

-It's nothing more than a dressed up regular season contest that sometimes draws more ratings than the Stanley Cup Final (it's true, I looked it up.)

-You run the risk of having star players get hurt on crappy ice.

I'm late to reply, but..

- It's a business :shrug:

- Players get paid hundreds of thousands to millions and you think they should be paid extra for an outdoor game? :facepalm:

- I believe the WC has only scored higher ratings than the SCF games that are on cable (a la Versus).

- Never been an injury due to bad ice in the Winter Classic. Besides, there's awful ice in many arenas throughout the NHL.

Really don't see how the Winter Classic is anything but a positive. It generates a good amount of interest in the NHL, and teams love to participate in it. Having 1 regular season game outdoors on New Year's Day just seems like fun to me lol. No need to be such a buzzkill, Ben.

• Upvote 1

I'm late to reply, but..

- It's a business :shrug:

- Players get paid hundreds of thousands to millions and you think they should be paid extra for an outdoor game? :facepalm:

- I believe the WC has only scored higher ratings than the SCF games that are on cable (a la Versus).

- Never been an injury due to bad ice in the Winter Classic. Besides, there's awful ice in many arenas throughout the NHL.

Really don't see how the Winter Classic is anything but a positive. It generates a good amount of interest in the NHL, and teams love to participate in it. Having 1 regular season game outdoors on New Year's Day just seems like fun to me lol. No need to be such a buzzkill, Ben.

Yeah, come back to me about this next season.:yep: /no troll

Edited by BigBen07
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, come back to me about this next season.:yep: /no troll

There's been about 7 or 8 NHL outdoor games total (including one held in Las Vegas in the 90's), and there's never been any controversy over any of the games. Why will next year be any different? :shrug:

There's been about 7 or 8 NHL outdoor games total (including one held in Las Vegas in the 90's), and there's never been any controversy over any of the games. Why will next year be any different? :shrug:

Should have clarified: I'm more into the playoffs right now, that's all.