Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

King: Manningham in line for big contract

Per Rotoworld.com:

SI.com's Peter King sees free agent Mario Manningham landing a deal that will pay him "at least" $7 million per season.

As a result, King doesn't see the Giants "making anything but a cursory effort" to re-sign their No. 3 receiver. Limited to 39 catches for 523 yards in 12 games as he struggled with injury in 2011, Manningham is just one year removed from a 60/944/9 campaign. He'll turn 26 in May. Feb 13 - 10:41 AM

Source: SI.com

• Upvote 1

So long Super Mario....its been real

PS....I feel real bad for the team who commits that kind of money to him. I like Manningham a lot, hes a great compliment to what we do in NY, compliment being the operative word. Hes oft injured, drops and bobbles a lot of balls, and doesnt always run the right route (See the SF regular season game). But if someones going to pay him big money for marginal services, Im glad they will pay him and we cashed in with a ring already.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Won't be a big loss with Cruz and Nicks holding it down. What i'm really hoping for is us getting Steve Smith back for cheap since he did nothing in Philly we might be able to get the bargain. He already has great chemistry with Eli. Can you imagine teams trying to cover him and Cruz on 3rd downs

Why does King think someone would pay the #3 WR on a team 7mil/year?

This doesn't really make sense to me. You have no idea if he's capable of being a #1 WR, since he was playing against the third-best cover guy the defense had.

I don't see why any team that does the due diligence they are supposed to would pay him that kind of money. He drops balls and doesn't run routes very well.

manningham is a waaay better #3 than steve smith at this piont. i agree 7 mil is absurd, but shit losing him will hurt. can they get reggie wayne for cheaper than that?

Speaking in a Tuesday morning radio interview, free agent Mario Manningham said he wants to re-sign with the Giants, and downplayed a recent report that he's "likely" to sign with the Bucs.

However, Manningham did concede he's less likely to return to New York than Victor Cruz is to land an enhanced contract from the G-Men. With Manningham nearly certain to get overpaid on the open market and the Giants already having 2011 third-round pick Jerrel Jernigan lined up as a potential replacement, there's little reason to believe he'll be back in the Big Apple.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter