Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Browns uninterested in Trading with Rams for RG3

Per Rotoworld

According to John Czarnecki of FOX Sports, the Rams have been getting "weird, uninterested signals" from the Browns on the possibility of trading up two spots to draft Baylor's Robert Griffin III.

In an indictment of the Browns coaching staff, Czarnecki says they remain "confused on what to do with RGIII." Griffin is coming off a dominant Combine, exceeding height expectations, exploding with Vick-like speed, and putting on the most impressive news conference display ESPN's John Clayton has seen in 24 years in Indy. While there's little doubt that Griffin will go off the board at No. 2 overall, we've now seen several reports in two days suggesting the Browns won't be nearly as aggressive as the Redskins. We've also seen at least a handful of national reports warning not to rule out a "mystery" team in the RGIII sweepstakes.

I'd like to see who this mystery team is. If the Browns miss the boat on RG3though, and they don't get a legit QB this offseason, I'm giving up on the Holmgrem project altogether.

There is a few threads on what the Browns are going to do or not going to do. I hate to keep reiterating my stance on it but if these guys do not thing RGIII is worth all the picks Washington is rumored to be willing to give up, I can live with that. Put some talent around McCoy for another year and see what happens.

RGIII has sick talent and I'd love to have him in a Browns uni but I also know how much we need in other spots. But I can also argue that no spot is as important as the guy behind center.

Walter football thinks the Browns will trade up for number 2

There is a few threads on what the Browns are going to do or not going to do. I hate to keep reiterating my stance on it but if these guys do not thing RGIII is worth all the picks Washington is rumored to be willing to give up, I can live with that. Put some talent around McCoy for another year and see what happens.

RGIII has sick talent and I'd love to have him in a Browns uni but I also know how much we need in other spots. But I can also argue that no spot is as important as the guy behind center.

It seems to be the perfect storm for the Browns as far as the RGIII sweepstakes goes. They wouldn't really have to give up much as I see it. I agree with you in that the Browns need more than just a QB, but seeing that they can score a guy with better raw talent in almost every aspect of the position than the guy they have with phenomenal speed at the position and Joe Thomas watching his blind side, It's a win as far as I can tell.

They have the extra 1st rounder, so trade both picks to the Rams if you have to. The draft for value in the next three rounds, and with the free agency class as loaded as it is this year and what I would imagine to be a surplus of cap space—I haven't checked the number—I don't see how they can pass up on the opportunity to land a legitimate possibility of a franchise QB.

They might not even have to come off of both first round picks to do it. Washington doesn't have two first rounders, and an early second round pick is the same gamble as a late first rounder. It looks to me like the Browns have more to offer the Rams than other potential suitors while simultaneously giving up less.

The Browns would need to give more than two first rounders though, at least to match or exceed Washington's offer.

Interviewed Monday by NFL Network's Jeff Darlington, SI's Peter King suggested that the Rams could land an "all-time" haul for a team interested in trading up to No. 2 overall for Robert Griffin III.

"This could be an all-time NFL trade," King said. "The absolute bottom line is two (first-round picks) and something. ... If Cleveland's gonna move up, it's not only gonna be Nos. 4 and 22. It's gonna be 4 and 22, and a (second-round pick) and maybe a (fifth-round pick). Everyone in Cleveland's gonna gag."

Related: Rams, Browns

The subject of the Browns getting RGIII came up on the radio, and I think Kirwan made a good point. He was saying they may not be as interested as other teams like the Redskins because they run a stricter west coast offense right now, and getting RGIII would require them to change their playbooks around to accommodate his skill sets. Obviously if he's there at #4 he's the best pick, but he may not fit what they want to do enough to trade away all those picks to move up.

The subject of the Browns getting RGIII came up on the radio, and I think Kirwan made a good point. He was saying they may not be as interested as other teams like the Redskins because they run a stricter west coast offense right now, and getting RGIII would require them to change their playbooks around to accommodate his skill sets. Obviously if he's there at #4 he's the best pick, but he may not fit what they want to do enough to trade away all those picks to move up.

Few things play into it. Mike Holmgren isnt known for making moves like this, Pat Shurmur and Childress do not know what to do with him and our GM is recovering from heart surgery. I think we stay put and grab Blackmon or Flloyd whomever they grade higher but I definitely think they go offense or trade down.