Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

NASCAR 2012 Season Discussion

Dale Jr. won today and is only 6 points out of 1st place.

Dale Jr. ends his 143 race winless streak today at Michigan. All thanks to Batman. :yep:

1111113_article_img_large1.jpg

Jimmie won Dover in a Madascar 3 car now Dale won Michigan in a Dark Knight Rises car, so when are drivers going to start pushing for movie sponsors?

Jimmie won Dover in a Madascar 3 car now Dale won Michigan in a Dark Knight Rises car, so when are drivers going to start pushing for movie sponsors?

lol That reminds me of a Nationwide race at Charlotte years ago called The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 300. Worst name for a race ever lol.

http://racing-reference.info/race/2004_Lowe's_Presents_the_SpongeBob_SquarePants_Movie_300/B

Congrats to Nelson Piquet, Jr. on getting his first NASCAR win in today's Nationwide race at Road America. Piquet, of Brazilian decsent if the 5th different foreign born driver to win in the Nationwide Series. He joins Larry Pollard, Ron Fellows, Juan Pablo Montoya and Marcos Ambrose in that list.

Edited by Milla4Prez63

First domino of the silly season drops. 2003 Cup champion Matt Kenseth will NOT return to Roush-Fenway Racing in 2013. 2011 Nationwide series champion Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. is taking over the #17 next year. Kenseth may end up at Penske Racing replacing A.J. Allmendinger in the #22. Penske is moving to Ford next year where Kenseth has a lot of ties.

First domino of the silly season drops. 2003 Cup champion Matt Kenseth will NOT return to Roush-Fenway Racing in 2013. 2011 Nationwide series champion Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. is taking over the #17 next year. Kenseth may end up at Penske Racing replacing A.J. Allmendinger in the #22. Penske is moving to Ford next year where Kenseth has a lot of ties.

according to ESPN the rumor is he'll move to Gibbs Racing, possibly taking the #20 Home Depot from Logano, I guess only time will tell, crazy to see the announcement come with Matt at the top of the points, but I guess Roush also has the #2 (Biffle) and #11 (Edwards) it really probably just comes down to Roush not wanting (or being able) to pay for three Chase drivers, especially with sponsorships getting harder to come by

I think Kenseth's bland personality hurts him with his sponsors.

Yea, they don't call him The Robot due to his dancing skills.

Kenseth is absolutely hilarious, but he has such a dry sense of humor that it just doesn't register with most people

I agree, I think Kenseth has more of a personality than some think, but he doesn't pop out at you. He also is a pretty boring driver on track despite his success. His 2003 championship season pretty much is the reason why we have the Chase. He only won one race early in the year at Las Vegas and pretty much 5th placed the field to death to win the championship by like 300 points. It caused fans to cry about the points system being boring and now we have this crap. Kenseth reminds me of Terry Labonte, a points racer who doesn't rack in the wins all that often. Terry was a 2x Cup champion, but only has 22 wins despite 26 seasons as a full time Cup racer. I'd say Kenseth is obviously better than that in the winning department since he has already matched those 22 wins in way less time, but he has never really been a guy who goes off and pulls off a bunch of wins with the exception of 2002 and 2006. But he's always been a consistent points racer. He normally ends up with 20+ top 10s every year. But it doesn't come off as flashy, which hurts him in this economic downfall trying to find sponsorship.

Stewart just won at Daytona. :rock:

AJ Allmendinger got busted for a positive drug test. He was suspended and replaced by Sam Hornish, Jr. at Daytona and his status going forward is in doubt.

man, it's been a while since I updated the standings, sorry about that

anyway, look who's on top of the points:

Dale-Earnhardt-Jr.jpg

Looks like a totally different driver this year.

He is gonna have to win more races to win the championship though, IMO. Stewart won 5/10 Chase races last year and still tied Carl Edwards for the lead at the end and only won on a tiebreaker. Once the Chase starts, the points right now won't matter, it resets by wins. The only thing interesting about the points right now IMO, is the wild card hunt. Right now it is held by Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch. But there are some guys like Joey Logano and Ryan Newman with a win who could pop into the mix with another.

Timothy Peters led all 204 laps in the truck race at Bristol last night. First time it has happened in the truck series since 1997. The last time it happened in NASCAR was last year at Phoenix in the Nationwide Series with Kyle Busch.

The Sprint Cup race at Bristol will be interesting with qualifying rained out, and with only three races left Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, and Jeff Gordon both need wins to make the Chase on a wild card. Edwards has no wins and is currently 12th in the points, Busch and Gordon have one win each in 14th and 15th respectively. The current wild card holders would be Kasey Kahne (11th with 2 wins) and Ryan Newman (13th with 1 win) but Denny Hamlin could prove problematic for other wild card hopefuls as he's currently in 10th with 2 wins, but he does have a 33 point lead on Kahne in 11th so he should be safe.

Carl Edwards needs to win one of these last two races, I'd much rather see him make the chase than Kyle Busch, who is now in position to take the second wild card spot

I was shocked with how awesome the Cup race was at Bristol since the truck and Nationwide races were complete snoozers. The ending was a little lame, but the racing was awesome. I was really pulling for Brian Vickers to pull off that upset.

Atlanta and Richmond are the two races left before the Chase. Here is how everything looks.

1.#16 Greg Biffle, 2 wins

2.#48 Jimmie Johnson, 3 wins

3.#88 Dale Earnhardt Jr., 1 win

4.#17 Matt Kenseth, 1 win

5.#56 Martin Truex Jr., 0 wins

6.#15 Clint Bowyer, 1 win

7.#2 Brad Keselowski, 3 wins

8.#11 Denny Hamlin, 3 wins

9.#29 Kevin Harvick, 0 wins

10.#14 Tony Stewart, 3 wins

These ten are in position to make the chase and will re-set by wins. Putting Johnson, Keselowski, Hamlin and Stewart at the top with Truex and Harvick at the bottom.

Now the two wildcard spots

Currently those belong to Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch. Kasey Kahne is not far off from Tony Stewart for 10th in points, so if he jumps in then Stewart would take a wildcard.

The contenders for the wild card spots include

-Carl Edwards. He is unlikely at this point, he is 12th in the points but has no wins and with his performance so far this year a win looks unlikely. He needs to leapfrog Kasey Kahne and Tony Stewart to get into the top 10. He is 34 points out of 10th, so unlikely. He did run well at Richmond earlier this year, so a win there could make it possible.

-Jeff Gordon. After how bad his season started, nobody could see him in the mix. But a lucky win at Pocono gives him a chance. He is 16 points behin Kyle Busch for the 2nd wild card spot. But he should worry about a 2nd win. Passing Kyle is out of his control, but a win puts him over the top.

-Ryan Newman. The wreck at Bristol stung hard, he was in the 2nd wildcard spot before then. Now he is 19 points back. He probably won't win again either, so Bristol may have ruined his chances.

-Marcos Ambrose. He has on fire right now with 3 straight top 5s after none prior to that. His win at Watkins Glen gives him a shot, but sitting 28 points behind Kyle Busch, he'll need luck to get in. I can't see him winning at an oval either.

-Joey Logano. He needs a 2nd win, he just can't make up 69 points in two races. He looked dominant early at Bristol, but not getting a win there may have been the final nail in the coffin.

If Paul Menard wins one of these next two races, he has a serious shot. But with not a single top 5 to his name, that is unlikely. I think everyone in the top 10 is safe along with Kasey Kahne. The final chase spot will come down to Kyle Busch and Jeff Gordon IMO.

Man, Harvick needs to rack in a win or two real quick. He's going to be so far behind the 8-ball. Right now I think it will come down this season to Keselowski, Johnson, and Stewart.

It's funny, I watch this week in and week out, yet Truex Jr. has been sneaking around in the top 10 on me and I never really noticed him! Lol

Kasey Kahne is not far off from Tony Stewart for 10th in points, so if he jumps in then Stewart would take a wildcard.

which would be huge because wild cards don't get the bonus for wins, so instead of starting in the lead Stewart would start at the bottom and Kahne would get the bonus points for his two wins

which would be huge because wild cards don't get the bonus for wins, so instead of starting in the lead Stewart would start at the bottom and Kahne would get the bonus points for his two wins

Indeed, that hurt Brad Keselowski last year who got no bonus points from his 3 wins because he was 11th in points and had to take a wild card.

As for Truex, he has been suprisingly strong this year. His performance is down from the beginning of the year though where he was top 5 every week. He dominated at Kansas, but had to settle for 2nd. I don't see him or his MWR teammate Bowyer being a factor.

Also, for silly season, the only major opening people are wondering about is the #22 Penske Racing ride. Joey Logano may be the favorite with the word of him being out at JGR in favor of Matt Kenseth. Sam Hornish, Jr. is having a strong year in the Nationwide Series and doing a servicable job in the car now, so he could end up with the gig but I've heard Shell/Pennzoil isn't crazy over that idea, so a 3rd team is more likely for Hornish.

Here is a silly season list for 2013.

Drivers expected to return

#1 Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing, Jamie McMurray

#2 Penske Racing, Brad Keselowski

#5 Hendrick Motorsports, Kasey Kahne

#9 Richard Petty Motorsports, Marcos Ambrose

#11 Joe Gibbs Racing, Denny Hamlin

#13 Germain Racing, Casey Mears

#14 Stewart-Haas Racing, Tony Stewart

#15 Michael Waltrip Racing, Clint Bowyer

#16 Roush-Fenway Racing, Greg Biffle

#18 Joe Gibbs Racing, Kyle Busch

#21 Wood Brothers Racing, Trevor Bayne (Part time)

#24 Hendrick Motorsports, Jeff Gordon

#27 Richard Childress Racing, Paul Menard

#29 Richard Childress Racing, Kevin Harvick

#42 Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing, Juan Pablo Montoya

#48 Hendrick Motorsports, Jimmie Johnson

#55 Michael Waltrip Racing, Mark Martin/Michael Waltrip

#56 Michael Waltrip Racing, Martin Truex, Jr.

#78 Furniture Row Racing, Regan Smith

#87 NEMCO Motorsports, Joe Nemechek

#88 Hendrick Motorsports, Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

#99 Roush-Fenway Racing, Carl Edwards

Announced Changes

#10 Stewart-Haas Racing, Danica Patrick

#17/6?, Roush-Fenway Racing, Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.

Teams/Drivers with unknown futures

#7 Robby Gordon Motorsports, Robby Gordon has driven for a few races but the team shutdown for the remainder of the season. Gordon has stated he wants to return in 2013 but the amount of races the team will run is unknown.

#12 Penske Racing, Sam Hornish, Jr. may run a 3rd Penske Racing car if sponsorship is found.

#20 Joe Gibbs Racing, Matt Kenseth is expected to take over this team, but it is not official. Joey Logano could return, but a return to JGR is more likely in a 4th car if sponsorship is found. No other names are attached to the team.

#22 Penske Racing, Joey Logano is rumored to take over this team if sponsorship is not found for a 4th JGR car. Sam Hornish, Jr. could get this ride otherwise. Trevor Bayne has been rumored as well, but he is expected to run a full time Nationwide Series schedule with Roush-Fenway and stay with Wood Brothers part time in Cup.

#26 Front Row Motorsports, Josh Wise is driving the car this year but there is no word if Wise or the team will return for 2013. They have mostly start and parked this year.

#31 Richard Childress Racing, Jeff Burton is under contract for 2013 and expected to return but his performance is down and there are rumors of possible replacement. Kurt Busch has been linked to the car but Childress has denied the rumors.

#32 FAS Lane Racing, the team has used a variety of drivers in 2012 and will probably do the same in 2013 if they are still around.

#33 Joe Falk Racing/Richard Childress Racing, Stephen Leicht has been driving the car this year with a few exceptions. There is no word if the team or Leicht returns in 2013, but RCR is expected to run Austin Dillon in select races with the car.

#34 Front Row Motorsports, David Ragan has driven in 2012 but there is no official word if he is returning. Most indications are that he will.

#36 Tommy Baldwin Racing, Dave Blaney has driven in 2012 but there is no official word that he will return for 2013. There is also no word on if the team will continue to run a 2nd car once the #10 becomes a full time Stewart-Haas team with Danica Patrick in 2013.

#38 Front Row Motorsports, David Gilliland has driven in 2012 but there is no official word if he is returning. Most indications are that he will.

#39 Stewart-Haas Racing, Ryan Newman has driven in 2012 but his contract is up following the season. He is expected to re-sign but other rumors have popped up.

#43 Richard Petty Motorsports, Aric Almirola has driven in 2012 but his contract is up following the season. RPM has stated they want to re-sign him, but sponsorship may be holding things up.

#47 JTG Daugherty Racing, Bobby Labonte has driven in 2012 but his future is unknown. David Reutimann has been linked to the team in possibly a 2nd car or replacing Labonte.

#51 Phoenix Racing, Kurt Busch has driven in 2012 but his future is unknown. He has been linked to RCR and a 2nd Furniture Row team as well as a possible Andretti Autosport Cup entry. But the future for Busch and Phoenix Racing is cloudy for now.

#83 BK Racing, Landon Cassill has driven in 2012 but the team's plans for 2013 are unknown.

#93 BK Racing, Travis Kvapil has driven in 2012 but the team's plans for 2013 are unknown.

one race left and Busch, Gordon, Ambrose, Newman, and Logano can all make the Chase with a win, Richmond is going to be awesome, and I'm going to be there :towel:

unfortunately, after the breakdown last night Edwards is all but done, he's 26 points behind Busch and doesn't have a win, meaning even if he won he'd have to make up those 26 points in order to get the second wild card, he'd also have to gain 14 on Gordon, it's possible, but very unlikely

• Upvote 1

Richmond is definitely on the list of tracks I have to see a race at eventually.

Edited by Sarge

Crazy how Carl Edwards can lose the championship on a tiebreaker one season then fail to make the Chase the next.