Sign in to follow this  
Shotgun

Buccaneers on the clock: No Claiborne or Richardson?

Nearly all the mock drafts have the Bucs taking either Claiborne or Richardson. On all the Bucs boards people are debating on who's the better player and which one they'll end up with.

However at #5, the Bucs could be dealing with a very real scenario of both Claiborne and Richardson being off the board to both the Vikings and Browns respectively. This could potentially set-up the #5 spot as the most interesting situation in the draft.

They could trade down, but it would likely only be with a team wanting Kalil or Tannehill, and I just don't see a team giving up the picks required to move up to the #5 spot for a Tackle or a 2nd-round talent QB. We could go BPA and grab Kalil ourselves, but with the amount of money we have wrapped up into Penn, Nicks, and Joseph, it doesn't make much sense to me. I see us most likely looking for a bargain upgrade at the RT position. Blackmon is an option, but I find it unlikely after signing V-Jax to a big contract to be our #1, and Mike Williams will likely be a good #2 WR.

All things considered, I think this scenario would lead to the Bucs grabbing the best player that fits a need in Luke Keuchly.

My question to you is, what do you think the Bucs will do once their number is called?

My understanding is that most of Donald Penn's guaranteed money has already been paid, and he's below average anyway. If Claiborne and Richardson are off the board, get Freeman a franchise left tackle. Or trade down if you can find a good offer.

Trade down with the Bills and grab Kuechly at #10. If they don't want to trade and we can't find anyone else, then take Kalil.

Try to trade down to take Keuchly. I think Miami or Buffalo would be willing to trade up for Tannehill or Kalil respectively.

Trade down a couple spots. I'd take just a 2nd and 4th to move with someone still in the top 10. Then take Kuechly I guess.