Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

Falcons talking with Eagles for Asante Samuel

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Atlanta Falcons are in talks with the Philadelphia Eagles to acquire cornerback Asante Samuel.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/194773960389431296

Now if this is true and they DO acquire Samuel, you can almost take it to the bank that Brent Grimes is going to be let go. Probably via trade. Perhaps even, he could be the trade bait? Maybe the Eagles are willing to take the chance on Grimes and try to resign him to a contract in Philly?

Gonna bring in Asante and let Grimes go? Hmmm, something is wrong with this picture here. ha.

Yea, not sure why they would get rid of Grimes for Samuel. Grimes is a lot younger. I think they would keep Grimes if they acquired Samuel.

Apparently Brent Grimes has just signed his tender. This whole thing might go out the window. What I was saying was not that I wanted to see Grimes go. But I was saying that if they were doing this than the Falcons FO must have figured Grimes wasn't going to sign it so they wanted to go after Samuel.

Man, what if we had Samuel and Grimes starting, and Dunta in the nickel/safety hybrid spot in Nolans defense? Shit, that would be awesome!

Other reporters are saying the trade is already very likely to be agreed upon o_O

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes signed his franchise tender on Tuesday.

Also, the Falcons are in trade discussions to acquire cornerback Asante Samuel from the Philadelphia Eagles.

The team is set to make players available after their second day of the offseason training program and could announce the trade for Samuel at that time if the deal doesn’t fall through.

Grimes did not attend the start of the Falcons’ voluntary offseason training program on Monday. Grimes is sent to make $10.281 million this season. It is unclear if both sides will continue to negotiate toward a long-term deal.

In early March, the Falcons placed the franchise tag on Grimes, which guaranteed that he’d make the salary of the top five cornerbacks in the league.

Samuel, 31, was with the Patriots when Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff was the director of college scouting. Dimitroff has coveted him in the past, but the trade price was considered too high by the Falcons.

The Eagles asking price has reportedly dropped to a late-round draft pick, perhaps the Falcons’ (non compensatory) seventh rounder. The snag could be if the Falcons are able to renegotiate a new contract with Samuel.

Grimes and Dunta Robinson were the starting cornerbacks for much of the past two seasons. The Falcons have had trouble finding a third cornerback.

Over the last two seasons, Brian Williams, Christopher Owens, Dominique Franks and Kelvin Hayden have all played the nickel back position.

If the Falcons are able to land Samuel they would have a solid trio of cornerbacks.

Falcons coach Mike Smith has noted that the nickel back is considered a starter because the team plays more downs in their nickel package than they do in their base defense.

Samuel is set to make $9.9 million in base salary this year and is set to make $11.4 next season.

Samuel, 5-foot-10 and 185 pounds, was drafted by the Patriots in the fourth-round (120th overall) of the 2003 draft out of Central Florida.

He played for the Patriots (2003-07) before playing for the Eagles (2008-11). He has been selected to four Pro Bowls and was named an All-Pro after the 2007 season.

Samuel is noted for his ball-hawking skills. He has 45 career interceptions. He led the league with 10 interceptions in 2006 and with nine in 2009.

If I see a trade involving Brent Grimes whatsoever..I will flip shit. Asante is 31...and Grimes is just entering his prime. If I were Dimitroff...I'd be looking to give up a 4th rounder by trading down if there's really nobody that fits us at our 55th pick. It's been a long time waiting for our defense to head in the right direction. If this trio works out with Asante, Grimes and Dunta, you will see a very diverse style of defense from Mike Nolan.

Asante Samuel (DB) - Philadelphia Eagles (Tue, Apr 24 -5:19pm ET)

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the hang-up to a potential Asante Samuel trade to the Falcons is the cornerback's contract, not compensation for the Eagles. The Falcons' interest apparently hasn't waned after Brent Grimes signed his franchise tender. The two sides are believed to have settled on a late-round draft pick as compensation. Samuel is willing to restructure his contract, but he's balking at a significant paycut for the 2012 season. The Eagles want Samuel moved before the draft begins Thursday evening; the negotiating is now going through Samuel's player rep. Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Seems lije the deal is more than likely already agreed upon, all that its happening now is TD making cap space. Hope it gets done!

If this deal gets done before the draft..I'll be very interested to see what we do with out first pick...

Helmet to helmet, Helmet to helmet everywhere.

I'm surprised it's for a late round pick. The Eagles are pretty tough negotiators, but I guess they really feel they need to get rid of him since he isn't technically needed and has missed some games the last couple seasons.

I'm surprised it's for a late round pick. The Eagles are pretty tough negotiators, but I guess they really feel they need to get rid of him since he isn't technically needed and has missed some games the last couple seasons.

I think it's more along the lines of the facts he's 31 years old, and he's due about 10Mil each of his two years (I THINK). They've got Asomugha and DRC sitting there on the roster as well so they are probably thinking they can get away with it. It would free up some cap space for them as well.

Eagles said they were willing to take a 5th or 6th for him.

I wonder how the Falcons are going to pay for Samuel though. I believe they have very little cap space...

Probably going to restructure a couple guys. Sam Baker could be restructured (Or released please!)

They have 1.7Mil available right now. Realistically they probably need about 1.5Mil more to land Samuel. He's willing to renegotiate. So I think it can get done. Especially with the dead weight we could either restructure or get rid of on our team right now.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the Falcons have agreed to terms with CB Asante Samuel on a three-year, $18.5 million contract. The trade is all but complete. Samuel's old deal had $21.3 million over two years remaining in base salary alone, so he's accepting a sizable pay cut from that contract. The Falcons are expected to throw a late-round pick Philly's way. Related: Falcons

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter Apr 25 - 1:29 PM

God damned. Good job of making a run for him, Dom.

:facepalm: Worst thing is he went to a division rival.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Whooo whoo.

This should give us the coverage we need to help Abe, Edwards and company to get to the quarterback.