Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

I'm not saying the movie will suck, but what if the lightened up version is actually worse? The problem I have is that the big wigs up top calling the shots have no clear vision with this, they just want to cash in on the superhero boom. This isn't DC hate, so if you're a DC fan don't jump on. If anything, this is Warner Bros. hate, the people running that movie studio are a bunch of dunces. Their reaction to BvS getting poor critical reaction and declining box office numbers is to change the tone of their next film, which while takes place in the same universe isn't really connected to BvS too much plot wise and is mostly unrelated. When it should be fixing the problems with the characters from that film that connect to the bigger picture. Replacing Zack Snyder and lightning up the tone of Superman should be the first thing they do, not lighten up the tone of Suicide Squad. But that's just me. It may sound like I hate DC and love Marvel all the way, but at the end of the day I have more faith in Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios making a good product than I do with Warner Bros. It's not an indictment on DC at all because they don't have their own movie studio like Marvel does, the same bozo Hollywood executives responsible for the over saturation of unnecessary sequels and reboots and lack of creativity in American cinema are the bozos making the decisions on what happens with the DC movies. Not the people at DC Comics. I'm sure they get an input, but at the end of the day the corporate fat cats are making the call. Whereas Disney for the most part lets the people who know what they are doing do their jobs and make them money. Not just with Marvel too, but now with Lucasfilm as well.

/rant

• Upvote 1

The problem I have is that the big wigs up top calling the shots have no clear vision with this, they just want to cash in on the superhero boom.

Hence my mixed reaction, I think this needs to be a ligh-ish movie, but the fact that they needed reshoots to change the tone makes me think they have no clue what they're doing

So I am off next week from work my plan is to do the following because I'm pretty behind at the moment with Marvel TV shows/Comics. I will be watching in this order:

Captain America 2

Aka Jessica Jones Season 1

DareDevil Season 2

I am also hyped for Luke Cage's series to start on Netflix this year and Iron Fist after that. I have heard good things about DD S2 though and from what I have seen of Jessica Jones it is good also.

Well, you're getting a Cloak and Dagger series, F4E, not sure if it's what you wanted though.

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marvel-cloak-and-dagger-freeform-series-1201747907/

Freeform is venturing into the Marvel universe.

The younger-skewing ABC-owned network has greenlit “Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger” with a straight-to-series order, Variety has exclusively learned.

Described as a superhero love story, “Cloak and Dagger” is based on the titular comic book duo (also known as Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson) who have appeared in Marvel Comics classics, including “Spiderman” and “X-Men” stories.

The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

No writer has been attached to the series, but the search is currently under way. Marvel Studios and ABC Signature Studios will co-produce.

The characters’ story is targeted toward young adults, making “Cloak and Dagger” a seamless fit for Freeform (previously ABC Family) whose target audience is “Becomers,” the 14-34 demo.

Marking the network’s first-ever Marvel series, Freeform is following in the footsteps of big sister net ABC, which has a slew of Marvel properties on its slate including “Agents of SHIELD” and “Agent Carter,” plus Mockingbird spinoff “Marvel’s Most Wanted” and a top-secret Marvel project from John Ridley in development. Getting Freeform into the Marvel game is a smart move for Disney-ABC, as the cable network is held to lower ratings standards than a big broadcast network. (ABC has struggled with ratings for “Agent Carter,” which remains on the bubble in the wake of critical praise.)

Superhero fare is a new genre for Freeform, which recently pushed into fantasy fare with “Shadowhunters.” That drama was just renewed for a second season, and “Cloak and Dagger” will pair nicely with the saga series, broadening the net’s programming.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

There's gonna be a superhero show on every network now, huh....

Well, you're getting a Cloak and Dagger series, F4E, not sure if it's what you wanted though.

I really wanted a Cloak and Dagger series, but I kinda wanted Netflix to do it :laugh: I will hope for the best though, never heard of Freeform until now, so they can have the benefit of the doubt. However, I am not overly optimistic.

I really wanted a Cloak and Dagger series, but I kinda wanted Netflix to do it :laugh: I will hope for the best though, never heard of Freeform until now, so they can have the benefit of the doubt. However, I am not overly optimistic.

Freeform is ABC Family. :mjlaugh: They just renamed themselves for some reason. Edited by Sparty

Ha. Let me reiterate that I am not overly optimistic. I haven't seen any of their shows since rebranding though, so just maybeeeeeee. Nah.

The quality of other shows on Freeform does not concern me. If this is a Marvel Studios project, I have faith in it until I see a reason not to.

The quality of other shows on Freeform does not concern me. If this is a Marvel Studios project, I have faith in it until I see a reason not to.

How about the fact it's sounding more like they're going to focus A LOT more on the romantic stuff?

How about the fact it's sounding more like they're going to focus A LOT more on the romantic stuff?

To be fair, that's a pretty big part of their story. Not only are they in love, but they feed off one another, need each other... They don't really exist separately. Ty is consumed by darkness and feeds of Tandy's light, while she willingly feeds him to ensure she doesn't blow a gasket and risk overcharging. It's very much a Yin and Yang feel.

It's going to be an angle that they need to be VERY careful with. Even though it's a huge part of the story, it doesn't need to be a soap opera.

I've read Flashpoint Paradox several times, but saw the actual movie for the first time because I hated the way the characters were drawn in the movie. But I finally got around to watching it. Real good stuff if you haven't seen it.

It's looking like BvS is going to be beaten by The Boss this weekend, yikes.

PS those rumors about the re-shoot to make it light were all BS.

no source?

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/719439142925373440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I did find it odd that there were implications (if it wasn't outright stated) that the last trailer they put out had a much different tone than the movie as a whole

Just talking heads that I listen to....they are close to people on the project and have so a lot of the footage. Said that the rumors was BS and the best moments weren't even shown in the trailers.

Then this new trailer drops which backs that up. The re-shoots were scheduled from day one and they were just retouching some actions scenes. Nothing out of the normal for any film.

Edited by butta54

PCSqVzW.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nygma is so amazing. YES!

Also, it is official. Batman V Superman is dethroned at the box office by Melissa McCarthy by roughly $200k according to box office mojo.

BvS about to cross $800 million worldwide.

Deflating in the U.S. but still very strong around the world. Still think it ends up right under a billion.

Just talking heads that I listen to....they are close to people on the project and have so a lot of the footage. Said that the rumors was BS and the best moments weren't even shown in the trailers.

Then this new trailer drops which backs that up. The re-shoots were scheduled from day one and they were just retouching some actions scenes. Nothing out of the normal for any film.

The same talking heads that told Butta BVS was the best movie in the world and that Fantatstic Four was gonna make big bank.

.....Oh wait those were just his delusions, nevermind. :smug:

Edited by Sparty

Spider-Man Homecoming is officially the name of next year's new Spidey reboot.