Sign in to follow this  
Broncoman

What about Drew?

We all enjoyed watching Drew Brees break records last season. So now what? The Saints and Brees are not agreeing on contract deals. Drew's salary is $15,760,000 a year, being underpayed.

Drew hasn't attended camp and now isn't attending practice. So what will happen? Will Brees go sign with another team, or will the Saints sign Brees for more money? Either way, Drew Brees is still one of the best QBs in the NFL.

With everybody focusing attention on the bounty scandal or Manning being a Bronco, so nobody is really focusing attention on it except Saints fans and real NFL fans such as me and you. I think we all hope Brees goes somewhere.

Well first off, I believe Brees franchise number is actually up to over 16.5 million a year or somewhere around there.

Last I heard he and the Saints were about 2 million apart on a long term deal.

And he can't sign with anyone else this year because we gave him the exclusive rights franchise tag. All he can do is work out a longterm deal,sign his franchise tender, or sit out the season.

Well first off, I believe Brees franchise number is actually up to over 16.5 million a year or somewhere around there.

Last I heard he and the Saints were about 2 million apart on a long term deal.

And he can't sign with anyone else this year because we gave him the exclusive rights franchise tag. All he can do is work out a longterm deal,sign his franchise tender, or sit out the season.

or convince the Saints to trade him, but that's got about as much chance of happening as me taking over for him as QB of the Saints, Brees will be playing for the Saints one way or another, my guess is the Saints eventually cave and give him what he wants, but even if that doesn't happen I'd be shocked if Brees sat for the season

Brees' camp and the Saints are $2 Million apart per year, at least the last we all heard anything about it.

With that said, he can't sign with another team because he is franchised. He either signs a new contract, signs the franchise tag, or doesn't play this year. The Saints and Brees have until July 16th to complete a deal. At that point, he will have two options: 1) Sit out for the season or 2) Sign the franchise tag.

All signs look like they are pointing to Drew Brees not having any contemplations about sitting out if he hasn't got a long term deal locked up. And I think that's what he needs to do. No one could ever deny the fact that Brees IS the Saints offense. That offense wouldn't be half as good without him. Anyone that thinks otherwise is absolutely crazy. He deserves to get paid, and get paid big.

Brees' camp and the Saints are $2 Million apart per year, at least the last we all heard anything about it.

With that said, he can't sign with another team because he is franchised. He either signs a new contract, signs the franchise tag, or doesn't play this year. The Saints and Brees have until July 16th to complete a deal. At that point, he will have two options: 1) Sit out for the season or 2) Sign the franchise tag.

All signs look like they are pointing to Drew Brees not having any contemplations about sitting out if he hasn't got a long term deal locked up. And I think that's what he needs to do. No one could ever deny the fact that Brees IS the Saints offense. That offense wouldn't be half as good without him. Anyone that thinks otherwise is absolutely crazy. He deserves to get paid, and get paid big.

No chance he sits out a year, nor would it make sense for him to do so. Even with the off chance he gets hurt and misses a year, he'll command high dollar contract from nearly any team in the NFL. Peyton missed a whole year with a NECK injury, and he's coming off of his third neck surgery. He still got 20 million per year for five years at his age—and he got paid in 2011.

If they don't come to terms before the deadline, Brees plays under the franchise tag for 16+ and still gets crazy paid next season, with the option of getting paid from whatever team he wants. With the way the Saints are handling this situation, I'm guessing there's a strong chance it won't be in the Big Easy.

Considering he's already said numerous times he will NOT sign a franchise tender, it's a pretty good possibility. You have to understand his reasoning isn't because of an injury where he has to sit out a year, rather one that ends his career. He isn't taking the chance.

Even still, if he sat out one year he would still get a HUGE contract from another team. If he was injured, that would SURELY be smaller no matter what type of injury it was.

Bottom line is, the Saints are going to give him what he wants eventually. Joe Vitt said "What's he (Brees) going to do? He can't sing or dance." Well, maybe Brees needs to come out and say "What are the Saints going to do? Chase Daniels isn't going to lead them to a Superbowl."

Brees will play this year...Saints are literally nothing without him...and even if he does play they are in for a rough year. Brees wants his money...and the Saints FO are being douches..but I still believe if Brees really loved the team he played for considering the circumstances they're in right now...that he'd happily sign a franchise tender.