butta54

The affect winning has on prestige

I talked about this a little bit in another topic, but with the Top 100 player list and all this talk of underrated and overrated players I begin to see a small pattern in all the discussion. It seems a lot of players that were "underrated" last year and made a huge jump in the NFL ranks were on teams that had a lot of success during the season. Even newcomers (49er's NoVarro Bowman)you have to think would probably not get as much attention if they were on bad teams. SO the question I'm asking is how much does winning affect your "prestige" in the league? And can you truly stay an ELITE player at your position if you are losing games?

Edited by butta55
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His name is NaVorro goddammit.

• Downvote 1

I agree with you that players like NaVorro Bowman may get a lot of recognition just because they're on winning teams.

But it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it. It's just, there are some guys out there who aren't really on winning teams who also deserve lots of praise and rarely get it- London Fletcher, for example.

(The first part is just for you, Bay.)

Post has been edited, lord forbid I misspelled one of the almighty 49er's names. :ghey:

Post has been edited, lord forbid I misspelled one of the almighty 49er's names. :ghey:

I dunno if its just about winning. I also think we are a bit too reactionary to one nice or sub par season for a player.

Navarro/Navorro... Asante/ Asaunte who gives a shit?

I'm not disagreeing that some of the breakout players don't deserve their credit. I'm just asking if winning is necessary for to achieve the title of "elite" or deserved respect.

NaVorro is just a good example...if the 49ers were the same old middle of the road team does he get an All-Pro vote? Does he rank as high as he does on the Top 100 list? I mean players watch games and highlights just like we do...winners are televised and in the spotlight so its easier to recognize them.

I always thought and believed that your work as a player spoke for itself. But recently I'm starting to believe no matter your level of production I think you have to have "winner" on your resume these days to reach the the top of the food chain in the NFL

Oh It matters. Annoying seeing it spelled incorrectly. :nonono:

Affect: To influence, sway, or alter

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/affect?s=t

You posted the definition of the word you incorrectly used. High five. "Affect" is a verb. "Effect" is a noun. Your title needs a noun otherwise it would be like saying "The to influence winning has on prestige."

I agree with GA. People are touting Stafford as one of the league's best QBs all of the sudden due to one good season. It takes a larger body of work than that to determine an elite player.

• Upvote 1

Are people really just going to complain about a misspelling and not even contribute to the topic? Come on.

For the topic, I think winning means a lot in a player's prestige. For example, if Jarius Byrd was on a playoff team instead of the Bills, I can almost guarantee you he would have been on this list. There's many other examples out there of players who are underrated because they are on teams that don't have much success.

Are people really just going to complain about a misspelling and not even contribute to the topic? Come on.

For the topic, I think winning means a lot in a player's prestige. For example, if Jarius Byrd was on a playoff team instead of the Bills, I can almost guarantee you he would have been on this list. There's many other examples out there of players who are underrated because they are on teams that don't have much success.

I'd rather see people educating others on the correct spelling of a few players' names than see people post either some retarded meme or .gif or "lol___fail" and nothing more.

I don't think it's entirely based on playing for a winner. I think some players just get hyped and others don't. Nobody ever mentions Trent Cole except for us educated fans, but someone else mentioned that London Fletcher gets a ton of recognition despite the fact that the Redskins usually suck. Nnamdi Asomugha was touted as the league's best CB and he played for a crappy Raiders team for a long time.

I think draft stock attributes more to prestige and recognition than winning does.

-It was one letter in his name which I switched after I was corrected...get over it.

-Thank you I am corrected on which word to use. Didn't mean to get into a big deal over it and I can admit when I'm wrong so thanks Zack.

Now back to football I would have to say it's about 20% of your prestige. Of course you have to account that different positions are graded differently. Such as QB I think it's safe to say that more than 20% of your prestige is attributed to winning. Especially to be "Elite" you have to win as a QB. But for the most part I think it's not a deal breaker, but a tipping point

Sorry, I can't help it. Speaking of Bowman, I think we need to calm down and let the kid have another great year.