Sign in to follow this  
Smell My Face

Vikings rookie WR Childs out for year

Report: Vikings rookie WR Childs out for year

Aug 5 - 1:03 AM

Two sources tell ESPN 1500 Twin Cities that Vikings rookie WR Greg Childs is "almost surely" done for the year after suffering a "significant" injury to both knees during Saturday's camp practice.

The Vikings fear Childs tore both patellar tendons. It's a devastating, career-threatening blow for a player who labored through a patellar tendon tear as a senior in college and fell at least two rounds in the draft because of it. The Vikings were hoping Childs would secure the first-team split end job in suspended starter Jerome Simpson's three-game absence, but they'll have to turn elsewhere now. They may explore the free agent or trade market at receiver. The organization has soured on Michael Jenkins, and remains desperate for a wideout capable of stretching the field.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/237228/report-vikings-rookie-wr-childs-out-for-year

No player has ever come back from a double knee injury like this before.... Ever.

It's likely his career is over. And even if he does come back, he won't be the same player the Vikings drafted.

So sad.

They waived him so his career probably is over.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Vikings are operating under the assumption WR Greg Childs (torn patellar tendons) "may never play a meaningful down in the NFL."

Childs tore both tendons in brutal fashion last camp. The injury came after he tore his right patellar tendon in 2010. Coach Leslie Frazier said in February that it would be a "monumental surprise if Greg Childs somehow, some way came back and was a factor." Childs is off the radar in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

They knew this going into it, so I feel no remorse for the Vikings. Tough break for Childs, but man his college teammate looks like he has some skills to flash.

Vikings WR Greg Childs (torn patellar tendons) has resumed sprinting and cutting.

"All the necessary things I need to be doing, I'm doing now," Childs said. "I still do my cuts and my runs full speed. There is no change in the way I run or the way I play. My routes are still the same." Despite the progress, Childs admits he's not close to 100 percent. The Vikings are operating under the assumption Childs "may never play a meaningful down in the NFL." So should fantasy owners.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

Guest Phailadelphia

Damn, this is awful. He was so much fun to watch in Arkansas when he was healthy. He was a GREAT receiver. Made tons of huge plays.

Really hoping he can make a career turnaround. :(