Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Jags release Lee Evans

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jaguars released WR Lee Evans.

The Jags will eat a $250,000 signing bonus paid to Evans in April. They're off the hook for the remainder of his one-year, $1.5 million deal. Evans was a somewhat surprising scratch for Jacksonville's Friday night preseason opener, and it was because he was deemed no longer useful enough to carry through training camp. Evans may have reached the end of the line in his NFL career. The 31-year-old would have made the Jaguars if he could still play. Aug 12 - 3:06 PM

Unfortunate. Was hoping we were going to some decent production out of him. At least this means that all the other WRs are stepping up.

I cant believe how far he's fallen off. I wouldn't mind if the Bills brought him back for a try.

Coach Mike Mularkey explained that the Jaguars released Lee Evans Sunday because he can't play like he used to.

"He's not the same player obviously and that's normally the case when you're nine years out of it," Mularkey said, adding that he wouldn't be surprised if Evans retired. "He's just struggling getting in and out of breaks and I think he felt the same way." Father Time appears to have caught up with Evans at age 31.

Source: Florida Times Union

He was always pretty average. Maybe he catches on in Miami now that Johnson is gone.

For a while he was one of the best deep threat wrs in the league. He was just stuck with JP Losman and Trent Edwards for too long.

For a while he was one of the best deep threat wrs in the league. He was just stuck with JP Losman and Trent Edwards for too long.

Yeah but I think JP Losman complemented his game pretty well because one thing Losman was good at was throwing the deep ball and Evans could stretch the field. The problem was he was supposed to be the #1 guy once Moulds left and it just never quite worked and now it seems if he can't even make the Jags roster it's pretty much the end of the line for him.

Losman helped in that he had a strong arm, but most of his deep throws to him weren't very accurate. They were just in Evans' general vicinity and he made a great catch.

Losman helped in that he had a strong arm, but most of his deep throws to him weren't very accurate. They were just in Evans' general vicinity and he made a great catch.

Yeah I never said Losman was accurate but he could gun it deep and when it comes to deep throws a good receiver has enough time to adjust to the throw as long as it's in the semi-area. Evans was great at that, at least in the beginning.

I just wonder how he's fallen off so much that he went from the #1 receiver on the Bills roster (albeit a little bit forced into the spot) to being unable to make the Jacksonville Jaguars roster in a span of two years.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

I'd say its a combination of Trent Edwards and injuries. Though statistically, his last season with the bills, he was really the number 2 receiver and Stevie the number 1.

I cant believe how far he's fallen off. I wouldn't mind if the Bills brought him back for a try.

If he can't make the Jaguars, would he really make it with the Bills?

Not like the Bills have a great receiving core.

I guess he would fit right in.

I heard something about he couldn't hang on to the ball in the endzone anymore.

• Upvote 1

About as good as Tony Romo is at holding onto field goal snaps.

* insert stevie johnson joke here*

Not like the Bills have a great receiving core.

I think the talent the Bills have is good for where they are. Their just is no one who'd be like hey that's a future #1 guy. But they are good 3, 4, 5 guys. There's a cluster of decent receivers who can make this team I don't think Evans really fits in.

Heard he is more likely to retire now but who knows. At least now have some certainty as to who will be our receivers