Sign in to follow this  
War Eagle714

USFL Poised to become NFL Minor League?

I've been following the re-incarnation for the United States Football League for over a year and some may not be aware that 2013 marks it's return. The short-lived NFL competitor of the 80's is on a path to revival and according to a number of sources, the USFL will comeback as "a true NFL minor league". Now I'm not sure if the NFL is ready to acknowledge this but alas, an 8-team, Spring 2013 schedule is in the works.

EndZone Sports Management currently owns the rights to all USFL team names and logos but host cities are still being explored and it's unknown which 8 teams will be fielded, although it's conclusive that cities far from NFL teams will be the target. Portland, Oregon, Akron, Ohio, and Birmingham, Alabama are just a few of the cities I've read about as rumored locations.

The USFL currently has a Board of Advisors in place which includes former Browns executive Jim Bailey and former NFL players: Jeff Garcia, Marshall Faulk, Chris Doleman, and Lincoln Kennedy.

I'm a big proponent that a smaller, more minor-NFL type of league can work but a number of things need to happen:

- First off, the game cannot be played differently than what we are used to. People didn't like the on-field camera angles of the XFL, the Arena game novelty wore off quick, and I know most of us cannot stand the lime green yard markers and pylons of the USFL. If you want to attract the least bit of NFL fans, then keep the game as close to College Football as possible.

- The second point is television contract. The United Football League didn't secure a decent television deal until the recent announcement of a deal with the CBS Sports Network but it's already too late. We've seen how bad it is and we'd all rather watch a High School game. At least those kids have youth to blame for any short-comings.

- The most import point, (and I say this because it will lead to the second), is talent. The USFL needs a budget so they can actually put some talent on the field. Nobody cares to watch NFL-reject JP Losman hand the ball off to Avon Coburn but would people be interested in turning into say...a Tim Tebow-lead team, playing out of Orlando? If the USFL is smart, they will put teams into big college towns and make every attempt to fill the rosters with former college studs from the area. A team in Birmingham with Greg McElroy leading the offense and Courtney Upshaw leading the defense will sell tickets here, trust me. Now I'm speculating player names, actually anticipating who may or may not be on an NFL by then but you guys get my drift. How about an Akron team loaded with former Ohio State Buckeyes? A team in Portland with Masoli, Dixon, or Darron Thomas leading the way.

- The final point, (which ties into point #3), is simply cater to the College Football fan. People like us Alabamians live and die for our schools but because there's no NFL team within the state, we aren't as diehard as the people in Green Bay or Buffalo. We all like our NFL teams but CFB trumps all. No way in hell will that ever change but people like us are more inclined to check out a minor league-type of team playing out of Birmingham...whereas the diehard Dallas Cowboy fan is more than likely to turn an arrogant cheek. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I think a major reason every attempt at another "professional" football league has failed is because the diehard NFL fan just doesn't have it in him/her to pledge allegiance to anybody else.

What do guys think?

Stay updated on the USFL: http://www.theusfl.net/

I think you make some good points. I think an equally important issue to the talent on the field is the talent on the sidelines. If it is to be a type of minor league, then the idea should be to develop these guys further and ready them for the next level as soon as possible. Best way to do that is make sure they are being coached by people who have a half decent resume that includes time on an NFL sideline. Nothing worse than being prepared for something that the person teaching you has never even experienced first hand.

You make some solid points, that's without a doubt. However, I don't think any "secondary" football league will ever make it permanently. They are all short term. The reason a "Minor league" won't work in the NFL - at least for me - comes to the point that, players just don't have as long in the NFL as they may have once had. You're talking about some guys coming out of college at around 21 - 23 years old, what happens when you stick in the "minor league" for a year or two? Your chance of making it to the NFL becomes so small that it's almost not even imaginable. NFL teams are always looking for the young guns.

Another reason is the players themselves may not want to try it. Money is a huge issue here. You play in a minor league, and you're risking injury. The money definitely isn't going to be there to make this thing a full time career. Players that aren't going to make it in the NFL are much more likely to take their college degrees that they earned, and go work somewhere that will pay them the money they need to provide for families and loved ones. It's not like the NFL, where even the little guys can live off a seasons pay (if managed correctly).

I think there are just too many "what if" questions with these smaller football leagues. I would love to see a smaller league, but I just don't think they will ever work in the long term. You're basically talking about people wanting to watch NFL 3rd and 4th stringers battle it out, it's just no good.

Yeah jeez, if Masoli and these guys can't start in the CFL, why bother putting them in a minor league, they just aren't going to stand out. And if they do play well, they'll get their chance.

Yeah jeez, if Masoli and these guys can't start in the CFL, why bother putting them in a minor league, they just aren't going to stand out. And if they do play well, they'll get their chance.

The CFL is a slightly differently game, no doubt these guys are out of their element being way the hell up in Saskatchewan...and I would also argue there's a motivation problem. These guys end up in the CFL and they know it's pretty much over; no more hopes and dreams for NFL stardom. In an NFL minor league...much different scenario.

You say the biggest issue is talent. Which, I have to agree, is a big part of it. But if those guys have any talent to begin with, an NFL team will have them on a roster or on a PS. Why would a Tim Tebow who was a 1st round draft pick skip off to the USFL?

Let's say a guy with lots of potential misses out on the NFL, or you start seeing a guy really SHINE after falling through the cracks. The NFL is gonna come buy and scoop them up as soon as possible.

Until you have players with legit talent willing to turn their backs on the NFL for the USFL, no serious threat will be posed.

You say the biggest issue is talent. Which, I have to agree, is a big part of it. But if those guys have any talent to begin with, an NFL team will have them on a roster or on a PS. Why would a Tim Tebow who was a 1st round draft pick skip off to the USFL?

Let's say a guy with lots of potential misses out on the NFL, or you start seeing a guy really SHINE after falling through the cracks. The NFL is gonna come buy and scoop them up as soon as possible.

Until you have players with legit talent willing to turn their backs on the NFL for the USFL, no serious threat will be posed.

Let's assume for a second that the USFL is an NFL recognized minor league. Wouldn't it be wise, if he's to remain a quarterback, for Tebow to be sent to the USFL in order to get starts and develop? It would certainly be a better option than standing on the Jets sideline and waiting for those half-a-dozen wildcat or QB draw plays per game.

There's plenty of talent who fall out of favor with the NFL or just don't make the cut because of a bad camp or perhaps they're unprepared. Shit, a lot of guys just don't mesh well with the pro game and others end up in bad situations for their first few seasons.

You think Plax, T.O., and Chad would rather stay at home right now? What if they could be on the field, playing Friday night football, for a league that is under direct eye of the NFL?

Right... but if TO or Plax or anybody shows a sign of something left, the NFL is going to sign them ON THE SPOT. And if they suck, they are just a big name... Not the talent the league needs.

Right... but if TO or Plax or anybody shows a sign of something left, the NFL is going to sign them ON THE SPOT. And if they suck, they are just a big name... Not the talent the league needs.

Yeah, that's the point of a minor league.

Yeah, that's the point of a minor league.

Your point was they need talent. They aren't going to have talent when the NFL is taking anyone worth having... I hope you like watching JP Losman.

Your point was they need talent. They aren't going to have talent when the NFL is taking anyone worth having... I hope you like watching JP Losman.

There's plenty of talented young guys NFL teams would prefer to take starting reps in games for a season or 2, as opposed to riding the pine. That coupled with the veterans who find themselves out of favor and the college stars who may never see the NFL game b/c they are best suited for the style of play...and I think you've got enough talent.

There's plenty of talented young guys NFL teams would prefer to take starting reps in games for a season or 2, as opposed to riding the pine. That coupled with the veterans who find themselves out of favor and the college stars who may never see the NFL game b/c they are best suited for the style of play...and I think you've got enough talent.

The names you were throwing around, like Tebow and Upshaw are never going to see the field in the USFL. Not willingly, anyway. It'd be a tough thing to orchestrate.

The names you were throwing around, like Tebow and Upshaw are never going to see the field in the USFL. Not willingly, anyway. It'd be a tough thing to orchestrate.

Okay, well clearly you're the one person in this thread who is over-analyzing. I'm sorry you cannot grasp the concept of what I feel would make an NFL minor league work....but it's not even worth arguing because the leagues hasn't kicked off yet, it's NOT an official NFL minor league, and yes, all the points I made were on behalf of a hypothetical situation.

Okay, well clearly you're the one person in this thread who is over-analyzing. I'm sorry you cannot grasp the concept of what I feel would make an NFL minor league work....but it's not even worth arguing because the leagues hasn't kicked off yet, it's NOT an official NFL minor league, and yes, all the points I made were on behalf of a hypothetical situation.

You sound upset that I tore your post a part bro. No need to get emotional on us.

You want talent in the USFL... All you get is some NFL Europa, practice squad level talent. I like the idea, I've been pining for such a league for a while. But what you want is a pipe dream, and isn't even logical.

You sound upset that I tore your post a part bro. No need to get emotional on us.

You want talent in the USFL... All you get is some NFL Europa, practice squad level talent. I like the idea, I've been pining for such a league for a while. But what you want is a pipe dream, and isn't even logical.

You tore my post apart about as much as Cutler tore the Green Bay secondary apart the other night. You just have to be "that guy" who won't stop with the "Yeah but..."