Sign in to follow this  
Phins4life

Serena nabs her 4th US Open

Not sure how many people on here watch or even care about tennis, but holy shit...what a match. I haven't been through that many emotional ups and downs watching a match in a long time.

Serena opened up and dominated the first set, then she dropped the second one horribly, as if she suddenly lost her focus. She didn't even look into it, committing error after error and keeping Azarenka in it for a 3rd set (which made it the first 3-set women's final since 1994).

Final set was the most nerve-racking one, with Serena only 2 points away from losing the whole thing by 3 games, before mounting one of the greatest comebacks in recent history to win the set 7-5. She's basically the fucking queen of clutch.

I also realized that for me, tennis is one of the only sports where I often feel bad for the loser, especially after trying as hard as Azarenka did to put Williams away.

All I can say is, the men's final has a lot to live up to now.

Yea, i watched her go ham. I was getting worried after the first set though. lol.

It blew me away. Coming into that match, I was like "Yep. Straight sets. Azarenka doesn't have a prayer." All she did the whole tournament was destroy people. Then the second set happened. Still have no idea what was going on in her head.

I have no problem with Serena being successful, it's the part where every time she loses it's like someone died, both with her demeanor and the way the media portrays it. It's like we're supposed to sympathize with her for doing something that every athlete does time and again...lose.

I watched a little bit of the match. Pretty entertaining from what I saw.

I'm always confused on how Serena is never ranked #1 in these tourneys because like Phins pointed out, she destroys people throughout it including the women ranked above her lol.

Edited by Maverick

Serena is ranked lower than other players because she defeats herself often.

I'm always confused on how Serena is never ranked #1 in these tourneys because like Phins pointed out, she destroys people throughout it including the women ranked above her lol.

This x200

Maybe its just cause I don't watch the sport all that often unless I'm at college, but she never seems to be ranked #1. I thought I was the only person who thought that. lol.

Serena Williams is like a chocolate goddess ready to serve up your balls on a silver platter.

• Upvote 1

I watched a little bit of the match. Pretty entertaining from what I saw.

This x200

Maybe its just cause I don't watch the sport all that often unless I'm at college, but she never seems to be ranked #1. I thought I was the only person who thought that. lol.

I believe it mostly has to do with the number of matches/tournaments she plays in compared other people. Azarenka is on the hottest streak of her career, coming inches away from getting half the career Grand Slam in one year. She's been busy playing and getting better. More wins = higher rank, I believe. Pretty sure Serena didn't play as much since she began her comeback after her bout of self-doubt. I don't think W/L ratio factors in much. Everyone who follows the sport, even casually, knows she is the best player on the women's circuit. I think she could advance as far as the 2nd or 3rd round in the men's tourney, to be honest.

I'd hit it :yep: