Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Reid Sticking With Vick For Now

Michael Vick is the Philadelphia Eagles' starting quarterback "right now" and will be evaluated as the season continues, coach Andy Reid said Monday.

Reid was asked Monday when he would consider a change at quarterback after the Eagles' 27-6 loss to the Cardinals in which Vick was sacked five times and fumbled twice, one that was returned 93 yards for an Arizona touchdown on the final play of the first half.

"Right now we're with Michael (Vick), and that's what we're doing. We'll evaluate as we go," Reid said.

Sunday's loss was Philadelphia's first of the season, but Vick has struggled early this season with six interceptions through three games and just three touchdown passes and one touchdown run. He has been sacked nine times.

The Eagles have 12 turnovers this season, their most through three games since 1977, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

When asked whether he has considered giving backup quarterback Nick Foles more snaps in practice, Reid said, "No, not right now."

Interesting. Pretty unfair of Reid though considering the fact that him and Marty decided to continually drop Vick back and expose him to the Cardinals relentless pressure yesterday. Yeah Vick has had trouble picking up blitzes but it's not like the protection gave him much of a chance anyway.

If we're going to play Foles though I think we should wait until after the Pittsburgh game. We all know what they do to rookie QB's. He looked good against them in the pre-season but the regular season is going to be much, much different against a team like Pittsburgh.

Edited by seanbrock

It's hard for me to be objective when it comes to the Philadelphia Eagles, but I think benching Vick would be a huge mistake.

It seems like Vick ends up on the ground on every play, and the stats show that he doesn't throw well against the blitz. I feel like a competent head coach/offensive coordinator would have made some sort of adjustment a long time ago...

It seems like Vick ends up on the ground on every play, and the stats show that he doesn't throw well against the blitz. I feel like a competent head coach/offensive coordinator would have made some sort of adjustment a long time ago...

No QB is going to play well when they get hit 20 times. Vick has been awful at reading blitzes and he routinely holds onto the ball too long, but I have to agree with you. Our coaching staff should be making sure the ball is out of his hands and hey, here's a crazy idea, maybe we could take some pressure off Vick by handing the ball to our best offensive player from time to time.

Even if Andy insists on throwing the ball, he needs to draw up more short routes that get the ball out of Vick's hands quickly. Instead he stubbornly runs intermediate/deep routes that take too long to develop, and by the time the receiver breaks open, Vick is running for his life.

Edited by SteVo

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it's a great column on the incompetence of the Eagles' coaching/gameplanning. I'll post some of the better quotes from it. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/171079971.html

The streak of fool's gold victories finally ended at six on Sunday when the Arizona Cardinals, of all teams, and Kevin Kolb, of all opposing quarterbacks, decided they weren't going to be anybody's fool. Or, at least, not the Eagles' fool.

It was quite a stretch, beginning with the final four games of the 2011 season when the Eagles beat quarterbacks Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, Stephen McGee and Rex Grossman and declared themselves healed and ready for a new beginning.

For the purpose of this exercise, let's just say it was foolish to come out of the Baltimore game and not address the turnovers and the team's increasing tendency to become one-dimensional on both sides of the ball. Instead, apparently, the Eagles, from the top down, were pretty pleased with themselves and what they accomplished and didn't change a thing.

They didn't change their quick-strike, pass-happy approach on offense despite being without their most reliable deep receiving threat, and despite having a center getting his first NFL start and despite having a backup to a backup at left tackle. They didn't change their coverages on defense, even when it became apparent that Kolb was going to get rid of the ball before their sack-oriented pressure schemes got to him, and that, unlike other quarterbacks, Kolb could identify which receivers were double-covered and which were not.

"We thought we had some opportunities down the field in the throwing game," Reid said Monday when asked about the pass-run ratio in the first half. "We went in thinking we would probably protect a little better than we did and be able to exploit some things we felt were our strengths and that we matched up best against, and it didn't happen."

Aside from the fact that Arizona was without five-time Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson, it's hard to understand what in the world he was talking about. Without Jeremy Maclin, the Eagles still didn't have a matchup advantage downfield. They had a rushing game advantage with LeSean McCoy. They had a quarterback who had been pummeled in the first two games. And there was no earthly reason to believe that patched together line would be able to protect him at all.

Foles showed some promise in the pre-season.. Granted he was going up against defensive 2nd and 3rd teams but nonetheless. However, I'd still stick with Vick at this point.

Foles showed some promise in the pre-season.. Granted he was going up against defensive 2nd and 3rd teams but nonetheless. However, I'd still stick with Vick at this point.

Hath R8R returneth?

Its not going to matter who plays QB if the line doesnt give them time. Peters is missed right now.