Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Rookie QB Power Rankings

Again, I'm not saying Luck isn't good. I'm saying Wilson is doing just as well and against better teams. And before you hand me that "He has a better team around him" crap, remember that Tarvaris Jackson had this same team last year and only managed a 7-9. This year we're 6-4 at week 10 and looking at most likely a wildcard berth at the least. The only real difference between this year's team and last year's is the QB play. That's why I call the notion that Wilson isn't as good because he as a better team around him complete crap, because it's specifically the improved play from the QB position that's making the difference this year. Note that I'm not saying it doesn't help at all. i'm sure any QB would love to have an awesome run game and top defense to help him out, but to completely write the guy off because he had the fortune to be drafted to a better team than Luck is totally unfair. Wilson's play is speaking for itself. He's on their level.

He is good but he is not on their level. Has he even thrown 25 passes in a game yet ? Luck has thrown way more so more is being required for him to win. ANd he is coming through so that is why he is the one people are most excited about and thinks has the better long term future.

He is good but he is not on their level. Has he even thrown 25 passes in a game yet ? Luck has thrown way more so more is being required for him to win. ANd he is coming through so that is why he is the one people are most excited about and thinks has the better long term future.

So he's not as good because his offense doesn't require him to throw as many passes? Yeah, that's a fair assesment alright. Never mind that he's thrown more touchdowns than Luck. Has a higher completion percentage than Luck. That he single-handedly won us the game against the Patriots by putting up two last minute TD trives. Singlehandedly kept us in the game against the Lions when the defense was utterly failing. No, none of that matters because Luck has thrown more passes per game and beat a bunch of teams that ANY team should be able to beat. Clearly Luck is better.

Also, to answer your question. Wilson has 253 passing atempts over ten games which is a 25.3 attempt per game average. So yes. He has thrown at least 25 passes in MOST of his games. So your main point it totally moot. Wilson passes, and passes well. Against teams that are contenders I might add. Meanwhile what has Luck done? Light up a bunch of bottom ranked teams with no defenses. Whoopee for him. Yes it shows he knows how to pass, but I still refuse to buy into his hype because he blew out teams like the Jaguars.

Edited by Jayrus

So he's not as good because his offense doesn't require him to throw as many passes? Yeah, that's a fair assesment alright. Never mind that he's thrown more touchdowns than Luck. Has a higher completion percentage than Luck. That he single-handedly won us the game against the Patriots by putting up two last minute TD trives. Singlehandedly kept us in the game against the Lions when the defense was utterly failing. No, none of that matters because Luck has thrown more passes per game and beat a bunch of teams that ANY team should be able to beat. Clearly Luck is better.

Also, to answer your question. Wilson has 253 passing atempts over ten games which is a 25.3 attempt per game average. So yes. He has thrown at least 25 passes in MOST of his games. So your main point it totally moot. Wilson passes, and passes well. Against teams that are contenders I might add. Meanwhile what has Luck done? Light up a bunch of bottom ranked teams with no defenses. Whoopee for him. Yes it shows he knows how to pass, but I still refuse to buy into his hype because he blew out teams like the Jaguars.

That average thing does not work. He has thrown 25 passes in half of his games. Exactly half. You obviously know how averages are supposed to work so let me show you one that does. If Luck throws more passes what are the odds his Efficiency isnt as good ? What does that do to his averages.

I understand you are a seahawks fan but put down the kool aid and look at it realistically for a minute.

Or you can disagree and go on about your business then in 3 years when it is so blatantly obvious who the better QB is we can revisit this, but I am not going to sit here and debate with a homer any longer.

That average thing does not work. He has thrown 25 passes in half of his games. Exactly half. You obviously know how averages are supposed to work so let me show you one that does. If Luck throws more passes what are the odds his Efficiency isnt as good ? What does that do to his averages.

I understand you are a seahawks fan but put down the kool aid and look at it realistically for a minute.

Or you can disagree and go on about your business then in 3 years when it is so blatantly obvious who the better QB is we can revisit this, but I am not going to sit here and debate with a homer any longer.

Sounds like a plan to me. Right now we're just pissing in the wind. Everything is just sheer opinion based on ten games in a rookie season. but don't kid yourself. You're just as sold on the Luck "kool-aid" as I am on Wilson. We'll see whose right in the end.

So Wilson gets points taken off for having a good team, yet Luck and RG3 Don't get points off for the fact that they've only beaten shit teams? Sorry, but I call bullshit. Also, tell me how exactly Wilson doesn't "Lead" his offense? Sure, we're a rushing team, but the entire offense is vehemently behind Wilson. He's led several fourth quarter comebacks against very tough teams. He kept us in the game against the Lions when the defense had pretty much stopped playing. He may not have the big yardage, but he's definately the most efficient passer of the rookies, maybe second only to RG3. He's completely won over his team. they've taken the reigns off and are letting him do his thing and because of that he's put up a chain of great performances in recent weeks. Yet he doesn't "Lead" the team? Right.

So yeah. Keep sucking Luck's dick for lighting up bottom barrel teams. Keep fawning over RG3's big runs until he gets himself killed. I'll take the guy leading a legitamate contender to the playoffs, and has done it by going through and winning against some of the harshest offenses and defenses in the league.

misunderstood rant misunderstood.

Nowhere in my post did I ever once mention anything about Wilson as a leader, nowhere did I even use the word "lead" This has nothing to do with how much each guy has won over their teams. None of them would be starting at this point into the season unless if they had the trust of their coaches and teammates.

You are a rushing team first. Between your first and second string HBs they have more combined attempts then your QB throwing the ball. That's called a balanced offense, and as a QB, it becomes A LOT easier to put up efficient stats when teams have to worry about you running the ball more then they do you having to throw it. And you have a defense that your coaching staff knows will keep you in games.

You can say all you want about how great he is at leading his offense, but if the Seahawks asked Wilson to throw as much as Luck has to throw with the Colts, or if his offense's success had as much to do with his production as the Redskins with RGIII, this probably would be a whole different conversation.

And lol at that last phrase. Cause it's RGIII and Luck's fault that they don't have a top 5 defense on their teams that takes a ton of pressure off their individual offenses to score, and a 1000 yard rusher.

misunderstood rant misunderstood.

Nowhere in my post did I ever once mention anything about Wilson as a leader, nowhere did I even use the word "lead" This has nothing to do with how much each guy has won over their teams. None of them would be starting at this point into the season unless if they had the trust of their coaches and teammates.

You are a rushing team first. Between your first and second string HBs they have more combined attempts then your QB throwing the ball. That's called a balanced offense, and as a QB, it becomes A LOT easier to put up efficient stats when teams have to worry about you running the ball more then they do you having to throw it. And you have a defense that your coaching staff knows will keep you in games.

You can say all you want about how great he is at leading his offense, but if the Seahawks asked Wilson to throw as much as Luck has to throw with the Colts, or if his offense's success had as much to do with his production as the Redskins with RGIII, this probably would be a whole different conversation.

And lol at that last phrase. Cause it's RGIII and Luck's fault that they don't have a top 5 defense on their teams that takes a ton of pressure off their individual offenses to score, and a 1000 yard rusher.

I'll give you most of that, but your inital pooint is a blatant lie.

But there is two sides to that though. WIlson doesn't have to carry the amount of load of the offense that Luck and RGIII have.

It becomes a lot easier to throw the ball when you aren't asked to lead your offense, or aren't asked to carry as much load. A lot of QBs in the NFL can put up great efficiency #s when teams start stacking up the box.

The whole point of your post was that Wilson isn't a leader. As for your other point. Can you give me proof that Wilson would struggle as much as you say in Luck's position? I'll give you that his effiency would drop as would anyone's asked to throw 40-50 times a game, but there is no indication he couldn't do it if he wanted. The ONLY reason he doesn't throw that many times a game is because the offense he's in doesn't require him to. If you have a top rusher in the league you're going to use him. That shouldn't be a slight on Wilson. That's just the way the offense is built. The way he's playing there is no reason to think he couldn't handle being asked to throw as much as Luck if he needed to.

He single handedly kept you in the game against us when your defense was failing? Marshawn Lynch's 105 yards on 12 caries and 1 TD had nothing to do with it right?

Gotta love the strawman argument here. You acknoledge that Wilson's TEAM plays very good teams but decide to not talk about the garbage pass defenses he's faced. Wilson played a great game against a great team like New England. That same great team gives up an average QBR of 97, 8.1 yards per pass attempt and a 66 comp %. A Dallas defense that gives up a QBR of 90 a game, 7.5 yards per attempt, and a 62 comp %. A Minnesota defense that gives up an average of 93 QBR, 63 comp%.

He's played well, nobody doubts that. They have all played their fair share of games against sub par pass defense.

I'll give you most of that, but your inital pooint is a blatant lie.

The whole point of your post was that Wilson isn't a leader. As for your other point. Can you give me proof that Wilson would struggle as much as you say in Luck's position? I'll give you that his effiency would drop as would anyone's asked to throw 40-50 times a game, but there is no indication he couldn't do it if he wanted. The ONLY reason he doesn't throw that many times a game is because the offense he's in doesn't require him to. If you have a top rusher in the league you're going to use him. That shouldn't be a slight on Wilson. That's just the way the offense is built. The way he's playing there is no reason to think he couldn't handle being asked to throw as much as Luck if he needed to.

Ignore the "lead" thing, I failed to read my own posts...

But that was definitely not directed at his abilities as a leader.

And the same argument you are trying to pull here I can as well. What indications do you have that if RGIII had a top 5 defense, and was not required to throw the ball 25+ times a game he wouldn't be able to put up great efficient stats? Better yet, what evidence do you have that if a guy like Luck who coming out of college was known for his ability to be very efficient had a great running game, and a top 5 defense, and a OC who didn't love to throw the ball down the field every other play he wouldn't be putting up great efficient numbers?

Dmac wants to shower with RGIII.

• Upvote 1

That is just it. The Colts are contenders BECAUSE of Luck, these same bottom of the barrel teams handed the colts a 2-14 season and now they are 6-3 because of luck. That is the difference.

Thats a bad reasoning we had almost the same team last year with Tarvaris Jackson as our QB and he didn't make us contenders.

I can't wait to see what he can do against the Bears Defense because he will have to throw it the way they can stop the run.

I really don't think there going to have him throw the ball a bunch unless he has to like the Patriots game.

Edited by Sacks98

Thats a bad reasoning we had almost the same team last year with Tarvaris Jackson as our QB and he didn't make us contenders.

I can't wait to see what he can do against the Bears Defense because he will have to throw it the way they can stop the run.

No sir, you are using the bad reasoning. Ask anybody that plays or does anything competitive and they will tell you the difference between almost and are is astronomical.

All of your guys on your young defense are a year better and now you have a pass rush a component you didnt have last year. Your line is playing better making the running game go which is making your passing game go. Marshawn is less than 75 carries away from what he had last year so you know you guys are running it a bit more, in an attempt to take the pressure of wilson to make a play.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

If that first one is current, I really don't know how you can have Luck at #1. He's had some games where he's been extremely inacurrate...

What a difference a month makes. I've been watching Luck all season, and that kid can flat out throw it around. He was then and is now still the best rookie QB. It won't be long until he's one of the "elite" guys in this league. Everyone fell in love with RGIII right away, and yes, he was impressive. He's cooled off a lot though, while Luck is gaining momentum weekly.

1. Luck

2. Wilson

3. RGIII

4. Tannehill

5. Weeden-though this spot could soon be occupied by Nick Foles...

No sir, you are using the bad reasoning. Ask anybody that plays or does anything competitive and they will tell you the difference between almost and are is astronomical.

All of your guys on your young defense are a year better and now you have a pass rush a component you didnt have last year. Your line is playing better making the running game go which is making your passing game go. Marshawn is less than 75 carries away from what he had last year so you know you guys are running it a bit more, in an attempt to take the pressure of wilson to make a play.

Its pretty much the same Defense except for a few changes Irvin,Jones and Wagner at MLB the skill positions are the same on Offense and so is the Offensive Line.

Edited by Sacks98

What a difference a month makes. I've been watching Luck all season, and that kid can flat out throw it around. He was then and is now still the best rookie QB. It won't be long until he's one of the "elite" guys in this league. Everyone fell in love with RGIII right away, and yes, he was impressive. He's cooled off a lot though, while Luck is gaining momentum weekly.

1. Luck

2. Wilson

3. RGIII

4. Tannehill

5. Weeden-though this spot could soon be occupied by Nick Foles...

Even if he was the better QB early during the season, the numbers didn't reflect that. People can pull the "eye test" argument all they want, but that's subjective, and in a ranking that changes from week to week and from month to month based on production it's kinda pointless.

And as of late? I've already said Luck has surpassed RGIII but some of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

Over the three weeks RGIII's last two have been bad, and the one against the Steelers (#1 pass defense in the NFL) probably wouldn't of been as bad as it was if it wasn't for the 10 drops by his receivers.

And there is probably no correlation b/w Luck's good games as of late, and the fact he's played the 27th, 28th, and 23rd worst pass defenses back to back to back.....

This whole thing could literally changes from week to week.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Even if he was the better QB early during the season, the numbers didn't reflect that. People can pull the "eye test" argument all they want, but that's subjective, and in a ranking that changes from week to week and from month to month based on production it's kinda pointless.

It's all subjective, even when you look at numbers. There are so many factors that go into it that to try and figure out who is best is exhausting. You've got a thing for RGIII the same thing you had for Cam last year. You might like mobile QBs, I dont know. Everyone has their personal preference.

And as of late? I've already said Luck has surpassed RGIII but some of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

Over the three weeks RGIII's last two have been bad, and the one against the Steelers (#1 pass defense in the NFL) probably wouldn't of been as bad as it was if it wasn't for the 10 drops by his receivers.

And there is probably no correlation b/w Luck's good games as of late, and the fact he's played the 27th, 28th, and 23rd worst pass defenses back to back to back.....

This whole thing could literally changes from week to week.

Bad defense or not, 433 is 433. Someone has to play the Dolphins every week, and no one is putting up 400+ on them. That's just impressive. He also threw for 300 in his very first game, against the Bears who have been anointed as the best defense in history or some shit like that. The kid will be first on my list every week, barring an epic collapse. No, some of the stats aren't there, but if it were just a straight up stat based argument, we wouldn't even need this thread. We could just go on ESPN and look at passer rating to make the decision for us.

It's all subjective, even when you look at numbers. There are so many factors that go into it that to try and figure out who is best is exhausting. You've got a thing for RGIII the same thing you had for Cam last year. You might like mobile QBs, I dont know. Everyone has their personal preference.

Wait. Me saying that RGIII outproduced Luck by a pretty big margin over the majority of the first half of the season, which is why I had him #1 in a ranking based primarily on performance is me just showing how much I like him as a player.

But the ones claiming that Luck was the better QB throughout the first half of the season because he somehow "looked better" even though his numbers don't reflect that in the slightest aren't?

And I understand that everyone has their personal preferences- and opinions. But it is a forum, and it becomes kinda pointless if everyone just states their opinion and then that's that.

Bad defense or not, 433 is 433. Someone has to play the Dolphins every week, and no one is putting up 400+ on them. That's just impressive. He also threw for 300 in his very first game, against the Bears who have been anointed as the best defense in history or some shit like that. The kid will be first on my list every week, barring an epic collapse. No, some of the stats aren't there, but if it were just a straight up stat based argument, we wouldn't even need this thread. We could just go on ESPN and look at passer rating to make the decision for us.

A lot of good QBs can throw for a lot of yards against almost any team if they throw the ball 45-50 times, including the Bears, see: Tony Romo. That's not really that impressive when it doesn't produce many TDs, bad comp% + YPA.

And the game against the Dolphins was no doubt his best game of the season, but every rookie QB so far this season has had at least one of those.

But that last statement to me makes no sense at all. "I know that this QB X produced and performed better then QB Y, and has looked impressive doing it... But QB Y has looked more impressive even though the numbers don't reflect that at all outside of this one stat (yards). So in a ranking that's primarily based on how the player is producing or performing on a week to week basis, I think that QB Y has been better".

What?

I just always liked Luck better, still do. Liked him better coming out the draft, I think he's gonna be the best rookie of the class. RGIII just played a great game, they're both good. We're entitled to our opinions, you argued that I couldn't possibly of had Luck ahead at the beginning because of stats, I countered why I had him there regardless of stats, it's a back and forth like you said. Not just opinion and that's the end. Agree to disagree. :yep:

I agree with the Seahawks fans.

1. Wilson

2. Luck

3. RG3

4. Tannehill

5. Weeden

I will post a full explanation tomorrow, but I think Wilson deserves the nod at this point in the season.

Edited by Thanatos19

And I understand that everyone has their personal preferences- and opinions. But it is a forum, and it becomes kinda pointless if everyone just states their opinion and then that's that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But that last statement to me makes no sense at all. "I know that this QB X produced and performed better then QB Y, and has looked impressive doing it... But QB Y has looked more impressive even though the numbers don't reflect that at all outside of this one stat (yards). So in a ranking that's primarily based on how the player is producing or performing on a week to week basis, I think that QB Y has been better".

What?

What I mean is that it's a power ranking and not a mathematical equation. Everyone has different factors that they take into consideration, much like a power ranking of teams would not necessarily be just a list of teams from best record to worst record.

I really like Griffin as well, as do the players that face off against him week to week. He's made believers of ust about everyone who watches him play. That being said, I just like what Luck brings to the table a little more. I also love me some Russel Wilson. These three guys aren't really all that far apart in my opinion.

The reason I have Luck atop my ranking has a lot to do with the way he approaches the game. You can tell he never stops learning. He's confident enough to command the huddle among veterans—and at least one sure-fire HOFer—yet humble enough to realize his mistakes and work hard to not repeat them the next week. His mechanics are terrific already, he has a strong arm, he doesn't shrink in big moments, he just as athletic as RGIII—though not as fast—his motor never quits, etc...

That's not to say the same things aren't true about Griffin, but this is a personal preference thread. If I were drafting with the #1 pick knowing and seeing what we all have so far, I would still take Luck. I'd rather have him as the QB of the future, though it's a closer call than what I may have made it seem before. I was VERY impressed with Griffin in the Philly game. That was a damn near flawless outing, while Luck's guys got throttled by NE. I will concede that I may have jumped the gun putting Wilson over RGIII though. They're all three neck and neck as I see it, with Luck getting the nod from me.

I agree with the Seahawks fans.

1. Wilson

2. Luck

3. RG3

4. Tannehill

5. Weeden

I will post a full explanation tomorrow, but I think Wilson deserves the nod at this point in the season.

I love me some Russel Wilson too. I can't put him above the other two at this point though, especially after the way Griffin bounced back after a few lack-luster performances and then the bye week. He regrouped and kicked ass. That went very far in catapulting him over Wilson for me. We'll see how Wilson looks after his bye, but it's gonna take a lot for me to say he's clear cut above Griffin.

Therefore, my updated list looks like this:

1. Luck, for all the reasons I've already stated.

2. Griffin. I wouldn't be suprised if within 3 or 4 years these two guys are in these spots in a league-wide QB power ranking.

3. Wilson, but 2 and 3 could change from week to week

4. Tannehil, who is very impressive in his own right.

5. Weeden. He showed some flashes of potential, but he's not getting better.

Bowe, you do realize the one thing people keep talking about Wilson for is his work ethic? He studies and prepares more than anyone else on his team. He's improved week after week. He has the total loyalty of his coaches and his players. He doesn't care about the media crap either. His mantra is "Ignore the noise". Basically everything you praised Luck for in your post Wilson also has in spades. He may not be as flashy as Luck or Griffin, but that's not who he is. He plays strong, efficient, consistent football, on a weekly basis and has continually improved.

I'm not saying Luck and Griffin haven't. They have. They're both very good obviously, and as you said all three are very close. I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I find Wilson to be more impressive because I apparently value different qualities in a QB than you do. I personally tend to look down on rushing QBs because I believe a QB's job is to be a passer. We all know Griffin is a rusher, and it works well for him. Wilson is mainly a passer and uses his mobility to supliment that instead of relying on it as Griffin does. (Or at least as I percieve him to). Thought I'll admit to not watching Griffin as closely as I should so I may be wrong about that. Please do let me know.

Anyway, point being I wouldn't have swapped Griffin and Wilson while Wilson was on a bye. Typical power ranking rules, at least for me, is barring significant changes you stay put on a bye despite how others do. Moving Griffin ahead of Wilson becuase he had a good game while Wilson was on his bye just seems unfair to me. Your list is your list though, I suppose, and as you said things could change weekly. I just happen to disagree with this week's move.

Bowe, you do realize the one thing people keep talking about Wilson for is his work ethic? He studies and prepares more than anyone else on his team. He's improved week after week. He has the total loyalty of his coaches and his players. He doesn't care about the media crap either. His mantra is "Ignore the noise". Basically everything you praised Luck for in your post Wilson also has in spades. He may not be as flashy as Luck or Griffin, but that's not who he is. He plays strong, efficient, consistent football, on a weekly basis and has continually improved.

I'm not saying Luck and Griffin haven't. They have. They're both very good obviously, and as you said all three are very close. I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I find Wilson to be more impressive because I apparently value different qualities in a QB than you do. I personally tend to look down on rushing QBs because I believe a QB's job is to be a passer. We all know Griffin is a rusher, and it works well for him. Wilson is mainly a passer and uses his mobility to supliment that instead of relying on it as Griffin does. (Or at least as I percieve him to). Thought I'll admit to not watching Griffin as closely as I should so I may be wrong about that. Please do let me know.

Anyway, point being I wouldn't have swapped Griffin and Wilson while Wilson was on a bye. Typical power ranking rules, at least for me, is barring significant changes you stay put on a bye despite how others do. Moving Griffin ahead of Wilson becuase he had a good game while Wilson was on his bye just seems unfair to me. Your list is your list though, I suppose, and as you said things could change weekly. I just happen to disagree with this week's move.

I can dig it, but no, you haven't watched enough RGIII. The kid is for real, and he's not a "running QB." He's a QB who runs. I didn't move him ahead of Wilson just because of one game. I moved him ahead based on his body of work. He makes some big time, incredible clutch plays. Some of them are runs, but many of them are passes, too.

This is going to go down as one of the best QB drafts ever, me thinks. Luck has the potential to be Peyton 2.0, Griffin has the duel threat ability to be Elway-plus down the road, and Wilson us looking like an ahead of schedule Big Ben. Let's not leave Tannehil out of the great QB draft conversation. He's a fine QB in his own right.

I can dig it, but no, you haven't watched enough RGIII. The kid is for real, and he's not a "running QB." He's a QB who runs. I didn't move him ahead of Wilson just because of one game. I moved him ahead based on his body of work. He makes some big time, incredible clutch plays. Some of them are runs, but many of them are passes, too.

This is going to go down as one of the best QB drafts ever, me thinks. Luck has the potential to be Peyton 2.0, Griffin has the duel threat ability to be Elway-plus down the road, and Wilson us looking like an ahead of schedule Big Ben. Let's not leave Tannehil out of the great QB draft conversation. He's a fine QB in his own right.

After watching the Redskins play against the Cowboys today I can safely say I've come much more toward your line of thinking. RG3 is most definately not just a 'running qb' he's a dual-threat monster. If that guy had a better team around him I would be absolutely paralyzed to play against him. He loos to be headed for a great career as long as he doesn't get himself killed someday down the line on one of his runs. However with his passing ability, even if he does get hurt and can't move as well as he used to, he'll stll be able to throw which should keep him from ending up Michael Vick 2.0 instead of John Elway 2.0.

Tannehill has impressed me more than I expected, though he runs a clear second to the first three. Though that may just be because the offense he has around him is a barren wasteland of talent. If they get the kid some weapons to throw to, and continue to build around him as their man he should develop nicely.

As for Weeden... He could possibly develop into a servicable starter. Problem is by the time he does he'll be 30+ and you'd be sniffing around for his replacement. I'm not sure I see him destined to remain a starter in the NFL for very long unless he starts showing some major improvement.

Oh! I forgot we have Nick Foles to talk about now... Well he's uh... I mean he's.... Oh screw it. He sucks.

RGIII for OROTY, I'm not even kidding. Not basing it off of just one performance either. The guy places his throws where only his receiver can get them. And lol @ anyone who thinks that he's a run-first QB. This guy will eat you alive with his arm all-day, and just when you think you have his arm figured out, here comes the pain on the ground.

Luck is nice, but RGIII is a much nicer option in my opinion IMO.