housemd

NBA 2012 Regular Season Thread

Why am I agreeing with you lately? :p

Let me let you in on a little secret: Basketball is my true passion when it comes to sports. I love football, but with basketball I can see everything much easier. It's out in the open. I understand schemes and can spot talent. I called Lowry's rise before it really happened, and the same goes for Parsons. Watch out for Marcus Morris in the next year or two when he gets his chance.

I'm also really impressed by Alexey Shved in Minnesota, and I wonder if he should start at the two or three sometime soon.

Guest Phailadelphia

Also, as if Russell Westbrook isn't smart enough to realize that he is not in Kevin Durant's echelon as a player. Is Russ a great player? Yes. An elite point guard? Potentially, if not already, but I don't find him to be a moron, and only a moron could wear the #0 jersey in OKC and think he's even comparable to Kevin Durant. I'm sorry, but Durant is the second best player in the league, easily, and Russ might not even crack the top 10. What hope could Kobe have possibly had about a feud starting between them?

On another note, this is why I love Kobe Bryant, and why I think he'll be the only other shooting guard that'll be in the discussion for greatest player ever alongside Jordan.

Haha, what? Westbrook is easily a top 10 player and arguably the best PG in the game this year. What other PG is averaging 22/9/5?

He basically said Westbrook is a very good player, but smart enough to know he isn't as good as Durant. Thats a compliment.

Incidentally, I gotta admit I'm looking dumb about the Harden trade. I think it still hurts the Thunder long term but I definitely didn't think Durant would improve as much as he has this year.

Guest Phailadelphia

8 in a row. And Westbrook blocked 7'3" Roy Hibbert at the rim tonight. That was fun.

Question: Is Sefolosha technically the Thunder's starting shooting guard?

Haha, what? Westbrook is easily a top 10 player and arguably the best PG in the game this year. What other PG is averaging 22/9/5?

Very arguably. He is a terrific player, and one of the best PGs, but still... so much maturing to do.

Yes, 22ppg is great for a PG, but he has also taken 366 FGA which is WAY more than the other elite PGs such as Tony Parker, Chris Paul etc.

He is also leading PGs in turnovers.

Great talent, but not the best PG, yet. Durant needs to be shooting the ball more. Not a criticism of Russell, but Durant is one of the best scorers I have ever witnessed - he needs way more touches.

Edited by The Admiral

Incidentally, I gotta admit I'm looking dumb about the Harden trade. I think it still hurts the Thunder long term but I definitely didn't think Durant would improve as much as he has this year.

Kevin Martin is the perfect type of player for the Thunder to have traded for. He is an off-ball guy and his skills don't overlap with Westbrook's the way Harden's did. I was pissed when it happened, but the Thunder have looked awesome with Martin leading the second unit.

I think the long term effects remain to be seen, as Lamb could turn into an awesome guard and the Thunder also have two additional 1sts and a 2nd.

8 in a row. And Westbrook blocked 7'3" Roy Hibbert at the rim tonight. That was fun.

That was awesome. And then Ibaka rejected George's dunk and my penis got hard.

Question: Is Sefolosha technically the Thunder's starting shooting guard?

Yes. He's averaging 28 mpg.

Very arguably. He is a terrific player, and one of the best PGs, but still... so much maturing to do.

Imagine how great Westbrook will be once he is finished. I'm excited to see what he'll do when he cuts down on the turnovers and fixes his sometimes woeful shot selection.

I think the long term effects remain to be seen, as Lamb could turn into an awesome guard and the Thunder also have two additional 1sts and a 2nd. .

eh I'm hesitant on Lamb. He just got sent to the D-League. I know it's still possible that he'll become good but it's not looking like it. Also, aren't those first round picks protected?

Guest Phailadelphia

I don't understand why being sent to the d-league automatically means they're bad players or lack potential or won't make it in the NBA. Where else is Lamb or PJ3 going to get playing time on a roster as stacked as OKC's? They actually use their d-league affiliate to groom players, not just as a place to hide players they don't need.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

eh I'm hesitant on Lamb. He just got sent to the D-League. I know it's still possible that he'll become good but it's not looking like it. Also, aren't those first round picks protected?

The Thunder don't play their rookies unless they've got the game in the bag by a large margin, so sending them down to the D-League to get playing time and experience isn't a sign of them not being good.

Draft picks:

2013 first round draft pick from Dallas

Dallas' own 2013 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City via the L.A. Lakers and Houston ( top 20 protected in 2013, top 20 protected in 2014, top 20 protected in 2015, top 20 protected in 2016, top 20 protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft). [Dallas - L.A. Lakers, 12/11/2011 and then Houston-L.A. Lakers, 3/15/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

2013 first round draft pick from Toronto

Toronto's own 2013 1st round pick to Oklahoma City via Houston (Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft. [Houston-Toronto, 7/11/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

2013 second round draft pick from Charlotte

Charlotte's own 2013 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City via Oklahoma City, Boston and Houston. [Charlotte - Oklahoma City, 12/19/2011 and then Boston-Oklahoma City, 6/26/2012 and then Boston-Houston-Portland, 7/20/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

Guest Phailadelphia

3 first-round picks, 2 second-round picks, 3 trade bait players in Eric Maynor, Jermey Lamb, and PJ3, and an expiring KMart contract. They could trade for damn near anyone not named Lebron James with those kinds of assets. The future is bright in OKC. :)

Ah. That Toronto pick is looking like it has a good chance at being #4. No way do the Thunder trade Martin though. I can't imagine anyone sending them something of a long term value that would make up for Harden. I can't actually think of any unhappy stars right now that want a trade. There aren't any good expiring contracts on a bad team (other than Dwight Howard) so I think the Thunder will just let Martin go and try to move on with the rest.

Imagine how great Westbrook will be once he is finished. I'm excited to see what he'll do when he cuts down on the turnovers and fixes his sometimes woeful shot selection.

That is going to be a major adjustment for him, but if he pulls it off he will be dominant.

Wish it was playoffs already. I haven't gotten to watch Tony or Tim play in a 4th quarter in forever.

Stern should fine the Spurs for that.

Guest Phailadelphia

Ah. That Toronto pick is looking like it has a good chance at being #4. No way do the Thunder trade Martin though. I can't imagine anyone sending them something of a long term value that would make up for Harden. I can't actually think of any unhappy stars right now that want a trade. There aren't any good expiring contracts on a bad team (other than Dwight Howard) so I think the Thunder will just let Martin go and try to move on with the rest.

As stoked as KMart was to finally join a contender, I'd like to believe (but could be totally wrong) that he would re-sign in OKC at a less than market price. He's played on enough bad teams that I don't think he'll want to go back to that.

I really want OKC to trade for a guy like Varejao. Could you imagine Westbrook-Martin-Durant-Ibaka-Varejao on the floor together? Good god that's a lot of scoring and rebounding.

As stoked as KMart was to finally join a contender, I'd like to believe (but could be totally wrong) that he would re-sign in OKC at a less than market price. He's played on enough bad teams that I don't think he'll want to go back to that.

I really want OKC to trade for a guy like Varejao. Could you imagine Westbrook-Martin-Durant-Ibaka-Varejao on the floor together? Good god that's a lot of scoring and rebounding.

Or Dwight, though that probably won't happen/wouldn't work out.

Guest Phailadelphia

Or Dwight, though that probably won't happen/wouldn't work out.

I don't want that headcase or any other moron that could disrupt team chemistry. Or that can't hit their free throws. I'm glad Presti didn't take the Harden + Ibaka deal for Dwight last year.

I don't want that headcase or any other moron that could disrupt team chemistry. Or that can't hit their free throws. I'm glad Presti didn't take the Harden + Ibaka deal for Dwight last year.

You were pimping the Dwight trade previously. :shrug:

Guest Phailadelphia

Before he showed us all what a shit head he was, yep. Not anymore. :)

Jeremy Lin went "linsanity" on my Spurs tonight - well, offensively at least. He is one of the worst PGs I have ever seen at playing straight up defense.

Tony Parker absolutely abused him. Not to mention all the times he gets lost on defensive switches/rotations. Goodness...

Jeremy Lin went "linsanity" on my Spurs tonight - well, offensively at least. He is one of the worst PGs I have ever seen at playing straight up defense.

Tony Parker absolutely abused him. Not to mention all the times he gets lost on defensive switches/rotations. Goodness...

I cringed every time Gary Neal found himself open tonight. Yikes. By the way, I prefer him to Danny Green. By far. I find him a better overall player and not just a spot up shooter.

Manu still scored twenty-something, but he's definitely declined too, hasn't he? Parker is the only Spurs stud still in his prime.