housemd

NBA 2012 Regular Season Thread

I was/am pissed at him for repeatedly saying he wanted to keep the group together and whatnot, but then leaves for a paltry $4.5 million. He can fuck himself as far as I'm concerned.

it was really 26 million though.

• Upvote 1

it was really 26 million though.

lol. No, he gave up $4.5 million. The Thunder's best offer was $55.5 million/4 years with the max being $60 million/4 years. Quit trying to skew the situation because he got $80 million/5 years. He wanted the max and the Thunder were $4.5 million under the max and he said no.

If he wanted money, whatever, but the fact that he kept saying shit like this and then left because the Thunder couldn't give him an extra $4.5 million that he wanted really pisses me off.

James Harden Believes a ‘Dynasty’ is Being Built in OKC

by Marcel Mutoni / @marcel_mutoni

The pain of losing the NBA Finals to the Miami Heat remains raw for the OKC Thunder’s young stars, but they’re already looking forward to what the future holds for them.

And according to James Harden, who struggled mightily in the championship round, the Thunder can expect to be the ones hoisting up championship trophies going forward.

Harden says he wants to sign a long-term deal in OKC — and might take a bit less money to make that happen — in order to help the franchise dominate the NBA for years to come.

From the Oklahoman:

Serge Ibaka and Eric Maynor join Harden as Thunder players who will be eligible to begin negotiating extensions to their rookie contracts starting July 1. But with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook already signed to max contracts, it’s anyone’s guess how the Thunder will be able to afford all five players. “I’m just leaving it up to my agent and Sam (Presti),” Harden said. “They’ll do a pretty good job of working it out. I’m focused on several other things right now. But when the time is (right), they’ll figure it out and it’ll be done.” Harden is widely considered to be a top five shooting guard and potentially a third maximum-allowable contract level player. But he said Saturday that team success is more important to him than money and potentially making more elsewhere.

“This is something special here,” Harden said. “A dynasty is being built here. So we’re winning we’re having fun and we’re brothers. The other stuff, you can’t buy it.” Harden said his close friendships with his teammates is an extremely important factor in his decision as well. “This team is like a family,” Harden said. “Like, we’re really brothers. We hang out most of the time every single day. You won’t find any other team like this. I love it here.”

James Harden isn’t alone in his stated willingness to forego dollars in order to remain in OKC. Eric Maynor also stressed the importance of sacrificing a little for the current team to remain intact.

Talk of a dynasty may be wildly premature, but one thing is certain: should the OKC Thunder somehow find a way to keep this group together, they will be serious NBA championship contenders for years to come.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/06/james-harden-believes-a-dynasty-is-being-built-in-okc/

I was pretty bitter about it when it happened because he was one of my favorite players and because I thought it would put a significant damper on OKC's title hopes. But Kevin Martin has honestly filled the 6th man role better than Harden because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to score and I think that's one of the reasons OKC's offense is scoring at a historic pace this year. So as of now...I'm kinda glad it happened.

Houston's offense is REALLY good but that team doesn't have the size nor the athleticism to be a great defensive team imo. Barring an influx of big talent I just kinda see them as a middle of the road fringe playoff team.

I'm a little confused by your comment about Houston's size being a detriment. Asik is 7'0. Morris, Patterson, and Parsons are all 6'9, and Greg Smith is 6'10 and gigantic.

Are you referring to Morris and Patterson not being monstrous 4s, or what?

I know why Houston struggles on defense. Lin and Harden don't try. It's as simple as that. If they decide to play defense, Houston starts playing much better than they already are.

And people wanna talk about Westbrook being a terrible decision maker at times, and low BBall IQ. At least he's massively talented.

You ain't seen nothin till you seen that their Brandon Knight.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

And people wanna talk about Westbrook being a terrible decision maker at times, and low BBall IQ. At least he's massively talented.

You ain't seen nothin till you seen that their Brandon Knight.

I can't believe there are nights like tonight when Andre only gets twenty minutes. :shrug:

It's like Frank can't even see he has a special player at his disposal. What other big man is this combination of huge, freakishly athletic, and above average as a ball handler? It's so rare.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm a little confused by your comment about Houston's size being a detriment. Asik is 7'0. Morris, Patterson, and Parsons are all 6'9, and Greg Smith is 6'10 and gigantic.

Are you referring to Morris and Patterson not being monstrous 4s, or what?

I know why Houston struggles on defense. Lin and Harden don't try. It's as simple as that. If they decide to play defense, Houston starts playing much better than they already are.

By size I meant Lin and Harden, and by athleticism I meant Asik. Even with big guys clogging the lane or blocking shots, if your perimeter guys are shitty defenders it's all for naught.

I can't believe there are nights like tonight when Andre only gets twenty minutes. :shrug:

It's like Frank can't even see he has a special player at his disposal. What other big man is this combination of huge, freakishly athletic, and above average as a ball handler? It's so rare.

I honestly don't know anymore. lol. Frank's just being a hard head. Everyone has been crying for Drummond to get the nod but Frank won't do it.

At first we thought it was cause Andre was outa shape but against ATL he played almost the entire second half and OT and was fine.

Guest Phailadelphia

I honestly don't know anymore. lol. Frank's just being a hard head. Everyone has been crying for Drummond to get the nod but Frank won't do it.

At first we thought it was cause Andre was outa shape but against ATL he played almost the entire second half and OT and was fine.

His hesitance to play Drummond (if not Detroit's record) is going to get him fired.

By size I meant Lin and Harden, and by athleticism I meant Asik. Even with big guys clogging the lane or blocking shots, if your perimeter guys are shitty defenders it's all for naught.

I can agree with you on that. Are Lin and Harden that small, though? I guess they aren't huge with Lin at 6'3, so that makes Harden's 6'5 seem even smaller.

The only way this Houston team ever morphs into a serious contender is for Lin and Harden to start giving a shit on both ends of the floor. I don't care how brilliant Daryl Morey looks right now, I think these "championship aspirations" are going to bite him in the ass if all 15 players don't buy into the defensive system implemented by Kelvin Sampson.

I feel truly horrible for what happened to Kevin McHale, but Houston has a better in-game head coach at an assistant spot and, since McHale isn't here for the long run, I hope he eventually steps down and hands the reigns over to Sampson.

lol. No, he gave up $4.5 million. The Thunder's best offer was $55.5 million/4 years with the max being $60 million/4 years. Quit trying to skew the situation because he got $80 million/5 years. He wanted the max and the Thunder were $4.5 million under the max and he said no.

except if he did know about the rockets offer then he knew that he was worth 5/80 instead of 4/54.

Rockets are owning the Hawks, a team who has a really good defense.

Toney D is pretty cool too, Delfino has made some nice shots.

Edited by Bay

Amare Stoudemire (knee) will come off the bench in his season debut Tuesday.

Following left knee surgery, Stoudemire missed the first 30 games of the season. The Knicks proceeded to go 21-9 without him. He'll be on a minutes restriction tonight as he gets eased back in and it wouldn't be a shock if he sticks to a bench role for the foreseeable future. It would be a surprise if Stoudemire sees anything more than 25 minutes against the Blazers Tuesday.

A league source tells Yahoo's Marc Spears that the Bobcats could "make a run" at trading for DeMarcus Cousins.

Spears buried this nugget at the bottom of his weekly power rankings column, so it doesn't seem like he's even buying it. It's could just be a case of connecting the dots as the Bobcats are desperate for a superstar and can offer young players/picks to Sacramento. Of course, the Kings have steadfastly denied that Cousins is even available, with GM Geoff Petrie claiming Monday that the petulant talent is "not going anywhere." For now, we'd expect most Cousins rumors to have little substance. The NBA's trading deadline is February 21.

Amire 0-5 lol

Knicks down a decent amount to Portland @ half

Austin Daye is starting to look like a really really really really poor mans version of KD. Another game winning 3 pointer. Feels good to win a couple of games in a row.

Nikola Vucevic had 29 rebounds against the Heat last night. Very underrated pickup in the Dwight deal.

Thunder opened up the game looking like shit, then battled back from a 23 point deficit to tie the game, then shat on themselves and had couple questionable calls against them at the end, including one that lead to Durant being ejected for the first time in his career with under 2 minutes left.

Rockets beat the Hornets!

Oh wait, it's the Hornets.

• Upvote 1

^ Your D freakin owned tonight.

Rockets bench was nice vs. Milwaukee

Can y'all believe that Kevin Garnett was ejected tonight? That is one of the weakest ejections I've ever seen. He came down going for the ball. It was incidental at it's finest.

Can y'all believe that Kevin Garnett was ejected tonight? That is one of the weakest ejections I've ever seen. He came down going for the ball. It was incidental at it's finest.

You love to engage in hyperbole don't you? Everything is the most "insert something here" thing you've ever seen.

• Downvote 1

You love to engage in hyperbole don't you? Everything is the most "insert something here" thing you've ever seen.

Yeah,you can see a lot of those coming from him but he's right on this one,that was really a ridiculous ejection.