Vin

Chargers @ Bucs

With a rookie sensation at running back and a fourth-year quarterback who's finally coming into his own, the surprising Tampa Bay Buccaneers are starting to look like a playoff team.

The San Diego Chargers have the same record and are also just outside the playoff picture, but they haven't looked much like a contender lately.

The surging Buccaneers try to win for the fourth time in five games Sunday when they host the underachieving Chargers.

All but counted out after a 1-3 start, Tampa Bay (4-4) has turned things around the past four weeks behind the explosive play of Doug Martin and Josh Freeman to close within one-half game of a playoff spot.

Martin rushed for a franchise-record 251 yards and four touchdowns in last Sunday's 42-32 win at Oakland. The 2012 first-round pick out of Boise State finished 45 yards shy of tying Adrian Peterson's single game record, and became the first back since at least 1940 to score on three TD runs of at least 45 yards in one game.

"It's surreal right now," said Martin, who ranks second in the NFL with 99.3 run yards per game and has amassed 608 scrimmage yards and seven TDs in the last three weeks. "I'm just doing my job out there. I'm honored."

He'll be facing a San Diego team that ranks fourth against the run at 87.4 yards per game, but has allowed an average of 123.0 in its last two contests.

"The way Doug is breaking tackles and having that top-end speed to make people miss and outrun people to the end zone, it's exceptional," Freeman said. "It's all about preparation with him."

Freeman, who threw for 247 yards and two TDs against Oakland, has also played a major role in Tampa Bay's surge, averaging 314.3 yards with 11 touchdowns and one interception in his last four games. As a team, the Bucs are averaging 36.0 points and 476.8 yards in those contests.

"They've become a very explosive offense," San Diego coach Norv Turner said. "They have big-play players at all positions."

Vincent Jackson, who spent his first seven seasons with the Chargers before signing with Tampa Bay in March, has given Freeman a go-to target in the passing game, and ranks third in the NFC with 88.8 yards per game.

"We have a lot of different weapons," Jackson said. "The coaches do a great job of just giving teams different looks, spreading the ball around. ... It's fun to play in an offense like this that can be very explosive."

The Chargers (4-4) haven't been nearly as impressive offensively lately, except for when they're facing one-win Kansas City.

San Diego hasn't played since last Thursday's 31-13 win over the Chiefs, snapping a three-game skid. The Chargers' only two victories in their last six games have come over Kansas City, and they're averaging 14.3 points in those defeats.

Despite their struggles, the Chargers are one-game out of a wild-card spot, and are hoping to pull together to make the playoffs and keep Turner off the hot seat.

"We want to win for him every week," Philip Rivers said. "You play for a lot of things, but we play for our coach. I think that has been evident over the years when we have struggled."

Rivers has 12 touchdowns to 10 interceptions, but is coming off one of his best performances of the season. He completed 18 of 20 passes for 220 yards with two touchdowns and one pick against Kansas City. It was the sixth time in NFL history a quarterback had completed 90 percent or more of his passes.

The Chargers have won eight of their last 10 games in which Rivers has thrown fewer than two interceptions. If he can avoid throwing picks, Rivers has a chance to put up some big numbers Sunday. While the Buccaneers are third in the NFL with 13 interceptions, they're also allowing a league-high 321.1 passing yards per game.

Tampa Bay has enjoyed far greater success against the run, allowing an average of 77.3 yards per game - best in the NFL. San Diego's Ryan Mathews has averaged 78.7 rushing yards with no touchdowns in his last three starts.

The Chargers are 8-1 all-time against the Buccaneers, including a 5-0 mark in Tampa. In the last meeting in 2008, Rivers threw for 287 yards and four touchdowns in leading San Diego to a 41-24 victory.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

Our offense has been the best in the NFL since our bye week in week 5. We have finally unleashed Freeman and let him air it out and it has worked awesome. It has also forced teams to play safeties back because we are a threat to throw it deep which is why you have seen Doug Martin emerging into a great back the past few weeks. I think we are going to be able to score a lot against the Chargers.

However, our secondary blows so Rivers should have a huge day. Our Corners literally can't cover anyone, Carson Palmer threw for over 400 last week.

So, I see a high scoring game. I personally think we'll win because we've been really well lately and to be honest, I haven't been too impressed from what I've seen out of SD.

Edited by MuscleHamster22

Vincent Jackson can't wait. Will they try to force him the ball? Still think the Bucs will win.

:Chargers: 20

:Bucs: 23

Think the Bucs will win but going with the Chargers. Have a feeling I might regret it though...

:Chargers: 24

:Bucs: 17

El Phillipe has a career day, leading the Chargers to glorious victory in a high-scoring slugfest.

:Chargers: 38

:Bucs: 33

Edited by ATL

Bucs declared WR Arrelious Benn (shoulder) inactive for Sunday's Week 10 game against the Chargers.

WR Chris Owusu is active for the first time in his career. He'll help out with receiver depth and on special teams. Otherwise, the Bucs are extremely healthy.

The rest of their inactives: RB Michael Smith, S Cody Grimm, CB Danny Gorrer, LB Jacob Cutrera, LB Najee Goode and G Roger Allen.

Robert Meachem (hamstring) is active for Sunday's Week 10 game against the Bucs.

Meachem returns and is expected to rotate with Danario Alexander. Both players are "hands off" in fantasy circles. The Chargers will also be without starting LT Jared Gaither (groin) once again. He'll be replaced by Mike Harris. Kick returner Chris Carr (quad) is inactive, leaving Antoine Cason or Marcus Gilchrist as replacements.

The rest of the Chargers' inactives: WR Seyi Ajirotutu, S Brandon Taylor, LB Jonas Mouton, TE Ladarius Green and LB Antwan Barnes.

Danario Alexander with a 80 yard TD..Bucs secondary needs to wake up asap..

It won't wake up anytime soon. Our secondary blows. Just awful tackling there.

Luckily our offense comes right back and drives us down the field for a TD. I've never felt this good about a Bucs offense.

7-7

Chargers receivers are running around our secondary wide open. This isn't completely a lack of talent. It's bad coaching too.

14-7 Chargers

Fun game. :popcorn:

:Bucs: 34

:Chargers: 21

Damn, I was close.

:Bucs: 5-4 baby! ATL, prepare you anus!