Tridentdawgpound

Top 50 Albums of the 21st Century

10. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave (2008)

Genre: Folk

Length: 30:30

the-tallest-man-on-earth-shallow-grave.jpg

Your thought process right now is probably something along the lines of "Is this another of Trident's folk mancrushes?" Well, the answer is a resounding "yes". Swedish native (a recurring theme) Kristian Mattson has produced some of the best folk music ever under the pseudonym The Tallest Man on Earth. His debut album features him playing his beautiful music on both the guitar and the banjo and began the career of one of my favorite artists of all time.

Edited by Tridentdawgpound

I'm going out of town on Friday and I want to have this done by then so I'm about to start turning these out pretty rapidly.

9. Fair to Midland - Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True (2007)

Genre: Progressive Metal

Run Time: 47:41

220px-Fables_from_a_Mayfly_What_I_Tell_You_Three_Times_Is_True.jpg

Fair to Midland cracks the list for the second time with prog metal masterpiece Fables From A Mayfly. The band, known for its incredible lyrics and masterful choruses, put out this gem in 2007. From start to finish, you should be absolutely enthralled with what you're hearing and play it over and over and over again.

Only number 9? This album is amazing, you should be ashamed. :yep:

Only number 9? This album is amazing, you should be ashamed. :yep:

It IS amazing, and so is everything else that comes after it.

OH TAKE A GANDER, THE BIGGER THEY ARE THE HARDER THEY FALL

8. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin (2007)

Genre: Indie Rock/Alt Country

Run Time: 34:45

3551.jpg

Band of Horses cracks the list for the second time with their masterpiece Cease to Begin, released in 2007. The album best showcases the band's country leaning indie rock that has made them prominent since their debut. "Is There a Ghost" has gotten airtime in multiple movies, and "The General Specific" on the TV show "Chuck".

7. Andrew Jackson Jihad - Can't Maintain (2009)

Genre: Folk Punk

Run Time: 28:24

Cant+Maintain+CANTFUCKINGMAINTAIN.png

The name of the band made me want to try this band out. The music kept me coming back. Andrew Jackson Jihad is the quintessential Folk Punk band of the day. The lyrics have meaning once you really start to listen and their use of acoustic instruments makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

6. Wolfmother - Wolfmother (2005)

Genre: Classic Rock Throwback

Run Time: 51:17

Wolfmother.png

Simply put, one of the best albums in existence, period. Wolfmother's debut album is HEAVILY influenced by the rockers of the 60's and 70's and is as close to a throwback to those days as you will get. Iconic songs such as "Woman" and "Joker and the Thief" have received countless radio time, while the rest of the album also doesn't disappoint. Wolfmother has since only released one lackluster album, but their debut is simply a classic for all to behold.

I really like Wolfmother, but, gotta be honest...I'm surprised to see them this high.

I like the lesser knowns on Wolfmother.

"Witchcraft" "Dimension" to name a couple.

Top 5 now...serious all-time music.

5. The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now (2012)

Genre: Folk

Run Time: 39:03

89e1e91e.jpg

Two albums in the top ten? That's how amazing this guy is. His most recent release is the only album from 2012 to crack the list. This seems to be the album that put this man on the map, and that's a great thing because he's so awesome. Seriously, listen to this album if you have a soul.

I think Kristian Matsson suffers from the same thing Bob Dylan has all these years--some people aren't going to like him because they can't handle his voice. I don't mind him at all, and enjoy his music to an extent, but as a listener I often need a great voice, or at least a vocalist who has figured out how to compensate for his or her shortcomings. Compensation can come from many sources: the vocals themselves, in the arrangements (imagine Matsson if his guitar work was more interesting). 1904 is pretty interesting, but it's just moments that capture my ears. Aside from that, the fast strumming of chords that all sound similar gets lost in the recording because all of the sounds produced are too similar.

I understand your affinity for his music, and I don't even question whether or not he deserves these rankings, but this just proves how subjective music really is. Props to you, Trident, for producing such an expansive list. I'm considering something similar in order to show variation in style, and to me it looks like it's been fun. Would you say it's been worth it? We'd cross paths in some areas, as I guarantee you Leviathan would be on my list.

Edited by BwareDWare94

4. Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)

Genre: Progressive/Death Metal

Run Time: 1:07:13

blackwaterpark.jpg

Quintessential metal album period. Opeth took more of a turn from a death metal band to a prog metal band with their 5th album Blackwater Park in 2001. Not since in the decade has an album been so influential or critically acclaimed in the metal genre. The album is a beautiful showcase of pure progressive metal artistry, while retaining the typical progressive metal setup of long songs and hour plus albums. But you won't mind this time: Every waking second is incredible to listen to.

3. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (2008)

Genre: Art/Indie Rock

Run Time: 55:12

Evil+Urges+urges.png

Y'know, sometimes you hear an album that makes you think "I must listen to this album every few days for the rest of forever". There are three albums in the 21st Century that fit that label for me, and they are the top three on this list. My Morning Jacket is pretty damn great. However, their 2008 album Evil Urges, is beyond belief. One listen to this album got me hooked forever. Hopefully you would feel the same.

Would you say it's been worth it?

Oh, I've had a blast with it. I'd love to see other people show their own lists and see where we match and where we differ.

As for what the #1 album is...I'm not sure. I have two albums to decide between (duh). I'll give them each a listen tonight and make my final decision.

2. System of a Down - Toxicity (2001)

Genre: Alternative Metal

Run Time: 44:11

Toxicity++HQ+PNG.png

Welp, last night I decided to put Toxicity at #2, but that is to take NOTHING AT ALL away from its glory. In 2001, System of a Down put an album the likes of which no one had ever heard before. While its heavy background music and high, sometimes screaming vocals would suggest otherwise, the album portrays a serious message of ending government corruption and police brutality and improving human rights. It reached #1 on the Billboard charts on September 4, 2001, and stayed there, despite its anti-government message, through 9/11. Not very many albums become an instant classic upon release. Toxicity did just that.

• Upvote 1

Shimmy Shimmy through the break of dawn!

Edited by Bay

It reached #1 on the Billboard charts on September 4, 2001, and stayed there, despite its anti-government message, through 9/11.

That's a great point. This one deserves its high ranking, for sure.

Curious to see what's number one... :think:

I'm one to commemorate even the most obvious of correct predictions:

Tridentdawgp... : (27 December 2012 - 03:53 PM) Any guesses?

Zack_of_Steel+ : (27 December 2012 - 04:02 PM) Something by The Mountain Goats

1. The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee (2002)

Genre: Folk/Indie Folk

Run Time: 46:18

Tallahassee+Picture+2.png

Well, here it is. My favorite album of the 21st Century. My favorite album by my favorite artist ever. I vividly remember when I first heard this album. It was the Summer of 2009, I was on the official forums of RockBand.com (yes, the game), and asked for suggestions in the music forum. Somewhere in the middle of a list of about 8-9 artists was "The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee". I heeded this man's advice, and it's one of the better decisions I've ever made.

This album has been the soundtrack of my life from that point on. I've spent many a late night alone in my room with Tallahassee on constant repeat. Whenever I listen to the album, it takes me back to every moment when I've been truly happy. Certain songs on the record (No Children, Old College Try) still give me goosebumps, despite me having listened to them at least 250 times apiece. Tallahassee tops my list because of my emotional connection with it and the moments I associate with it, and that is what good music is all about.

• Upvote 1

Final list:

50. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (2002)

49. Baroness - Red Album (2007)

48. Kylesa - Static Tensions (2009)

47. Flogging Molly - Druken Lullabies (2002)

46. Early Man - Closing In (2005)

45. Evile - Enter the Grave (2007)

44. Deerhunter - Microcastle (2008)

43. The Black Keys - Brothers (2010)

42. The Killers - Sam's Town (2006)

41. The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers (2006)

40. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins (2008)

39. Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying (2007)

38. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace (2007)

37. The Strokes - Room On Fire (2003)

36. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet (2001)

35. Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (2006)

34. Band of Horses - Infinite Arms (2010)

33. The White Stripes - Elephant (2003)

32. The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America (2006)

31. The Sword - Age Of Winters (2006)

30. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism (2003)

29. Scale the Summit - Carving Desert Canyons (2009)

28. Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt (2004)

27. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor (2010)

26. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains of Being Pure At Heart (2009)

25. Aesop Rock - Labor Days (2001)

24. Weezer - The Green Album (2001)

23. Fair to Midland - Arrows and Anchors (2011)

22. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)

21. The National - High Violet (2010)

20. Teenage Bottlerocket - Total (2005)

19. My Morning Jacket - Z (2005)

18. System of a Down - Hypnotize (2005)

17. Between the Buried and Me - Colors (2007)

16. The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree (2005)

15. The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious (2000)

14. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)

13. Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)

12. Miike Snow - Miike Snow (2009)

11. Cold War Kids - Robbers and Cowards (2006)

10. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave (2008)

9. Fair to Midland - Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True (2007)

8. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin (2007)

7. Andrew Jackson Jihad - Can't Maintain (2009)

6. Wolfmother - Wolfmother (2005)

5. The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now (2012)

4. Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)

3. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (2008)

2. System of a Down - Toxicity (2001)

1. The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee (2002)

• Upvote 1

:bow:

Nice work on the list, Trident. Soon I'll have to take the time to start listening to the bands on here that I haven't listened to before.