Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Falcons release Ray Edwards

Jay GlazerVerified ‏@JayGlazer Falcons are making a surprise move and releasing DE Ray Edwards, a big free agent pickup couple of years ago

Always thought this guy was overrated because he played on such a good Vikings d-line. Numbers were inflated because he got good matchups and barely any attention. Falcons gave him the big bucks, and he didn't produce.

Edited by MuscleHamster22

lolRayEdwards

Where does he sign?

Good move. We have a lot of guys hitting FA this coming off season, and this should free up about $5M. I had a feeling we over payed for him big time, so I'm kind of glad to see him go. There were also reports that he never really "fit in" with the other defensive lineman in the locker room.

He'll find work somewhere, just not for 27.5 million like he did in Atlanta. Charles Johnson was a FA the same time as Edwards, and I was really hoping we would have got him instead. I would have been perfectly fine giving him 27M.

When this guy was a viking he was quoted saying "I will beat Michael Strahan's sack record". LOL, I don't even think he ever got 2 digit sacks in a season.

According to FOX's Jay Glazer, the Falcons dumped DE Ray Edwards because he refused to join a team gathering following the Week 10 loss to the Saints.

Coach Mike Smith called the players together only to see Edwards ignore his request three separate times, refusing to join in with teammates. Owner Arthur Blank and GM Thomas Dimitroff were in the room at the time, which certainly helped grease the skids for his removal despite forking over $1 million in termination pay.

Source: NFL.com