Sign in to follow this  
ramsftw3

What are your predictions the playoffs this year?

The current seeding in the AFC: 1. Houston Texans (10-1)-Their defensive line did slip a little bit against the Jaguars and against the Lions, but is there any reason to believe that they aren't the best team? In my opinion, the hard fought wins were signs of the Houston Texans developing even further this season. They can clinch a playoff spot with a win over the Titans in Tennessee next week.

2. Baltimore Ravens (8-2)-They were demolished by the Houston Texans, but they've proven that they can take a loss. A win over the disappointing Chargers keep in the race for the top AFC Seed.

3. The New England Patriots (8-3)-The loss of Gronkowski is huge, and both games against the Dolphins could be huge for them.

4. The Denver Broncos (7-3)-They really aren't an elite team, but at least Peyton Manning has been amazing by keeping them in games. He's proven that anything is possible.

5. Indianapolis Colts (6-4)-The 59-24 loss against the Patriots really did show that they have weakness on defense. Andrew Luck had a mediocre game as well, and a loss against the Buffalo Bills could put them in a lot of danger.

6. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-4)-Their defensive line is the only positive thing for the Steelers nowadays, and don't be surprised if the Cleveland Browns pull an upset here with Ben Roethlisberger and Marcus Gilbert gone for a while.

Other teams who are in the AFC playoff race:

7. The Cincinnati Bengals (5-5)-Despite ups and downs (the four game losing streak with their defensive line being shredded by Brandon Weeden as a down with them shutting down Eli Manning as an up), they are still in the race for a wildcard spot. Games against the Raiders (3-7), Chargers (4-6), Cowboys (5-6) and the Eagles (3-7) should put them at 9-5 or 8-6 before they face the tough two game stretch against the Steelers without Ben Roethlisberger and the Ravens, but Andy Dalton would have to remain consistent again.

8. The San Diego Chargers (4-6)-This team is one huge dysfunctional mess that fools us with a huge win in one week and then they go back to sucking. They have yet to beat a team with a winning record as well and the Ravens will probably put them out of the playoff race this weekend. I keep saying this every year, but good luck to the Chargers next year.

9. The Tennessee Titans (4-6)-All they have to do is beat up the hapless Jaguars tomorrow to stay alive in the AFC Wildcard race for another week. I seriously don't know what to say about this team, and the so-called legendary 'Jake Locker' certainly has yet to impress me. If you ask me, Matt Hasselbeck should be the starter since he can at least play without relying on anybody else. Chris Johnson is on par to run for over 1,400 yards as well so maybe things will get interesting with him having a chance to rest.

10. The Buffalo Bills (4-6)-An upset win over the Indianapolis Colts with Ryan Fitzpatrick actually playing well again will be enough to keep them alive for another week. The good thing however with them being more than likely to miss the playoffs is that we won't have to watch their defensive line suck like it has been (up until they played the Dolphins that is).

11. The Miami Dolphins (4-6)-Watching them try to stop Marshawn Lynch tomorrow should be interesting for the Dolphins fans, but I think that it's fair to say that the Dolphins aren't going to make the playoffs due to a tough schedule.

The current seeding in the AFC: 1. Houston Texans (10-1)-Their defensive line did slip a little bit against the Jaguars and against the Lions, but is there any reason to believe that they aren't the best team? In my opinion, the hard fought wins were signs of the Houston Texans developing even further this season. They can clinch a playoff spot with a win over the Titans in Tennessee next week.

2. Baltimore Ravens (8-2)-They were demolished by the Houston Texans, but they've proven that they can take a loss. A win over the disappointing Chargers keep in the race for the top AFC Seed.

3. The New England Patriots (8-3)-The loss of Gronkowski is huge, and both games against the Dolphins could be huge for them.

4. The Denver Broncos (7-3)-They really aren't an elite team, but at least Peyton Manning has been amazing by keeping them in games. He's proven that anything is possible.

5. Indianapolis Colts (6-4)-The 59-24 loss against the Patriots really did show that they have weakness on defense. Andrew Luck had a mediocre game as well, and a loss against the Buffalo Bills could put them in a lot of danger.

6. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-4)-Their defensive line is the only positive thing for the Steelers nowadays, and don't be surprised if the Cleveland Browns pull an upset here with Ben Roethlisberger and Marcus Gilbert gone for a while.

Other teams who are in the AFC playoff race:

7. The Cincinnati Bengals (5-5)-Despite ups and downs (the four game losing streak with their defensive line being shredded by Brandon Weeden as a down with them shutting down Eli Manning as an up), they are still in the race for a wildcard spot. Games against the Raiders (3-7), Chargers (4-6), Cowboys (5-6) and the Eagles (3-7) should put them at 9-5 or 8-6 before they face the tough two game stretch against the Steelers without Ben Roethlisberger and the Ravens, but Andy Dalton would have to remain consistent again.

8. The San Diego Chargers (4-6)-This team is one huge dysfunctional mess that fools us with a huge win in one week and then they go back to sucking. They have yet to beat a team with a winning record as well and the Ravens will probably put them out of the playoff race this weekend. I keep saying this every year, but good luck to the Chargers next year.

9. The Tennessee Titans (4-6)-All they have to do is beat up the hapless Jaguars tomorrow to stay alive in the AFC Wildcard race for another week. I seriously don't know what to say about this team, and the so-called legendary 'Jake Locker' certainly has yet to impress me. If you ask me, Matt Hasselbeck should be the starter since he can at least play without relying on anybody else. Chris Johnson is on par to run for over 1,400 yards as well so maybe things will get interesting with him having a chance to rest.

10. The Buffalo Bills (4-6)-An upset win over the Indianapolis Colts with Ryan Fitzpatrick actually playing well again will be enough to keep them alive for another week. The good thing however with them being more than likely to miss the playoffs is that we won't have to watch their defensive line suck like it has been (up until they played the Dolphins that is).

11. The Miami Dolphins (4-6)-Watching them try to stop Marshawn Lynch tomorrow should be interesting for the Dolphins fans, but I think that it's fair to say that the Dolphins aren't going to make the playoffs due to a tough schedule.

The NFC current playoff seeding: 1. The Atlanta Falcons (9-1)-They really seem to enjoy playing down to the level of the competition which is a huge concern in the playoffs when they are playing some stronger opponents, but at least Matt Ryan has been finding ways for them to win.

2. The San Francisco 49ers (7-2-1)-They've proven that they can play without Alex Smith. In fact, I believe that Kaepernick might even be a stronger quarterback than Alex Smith is. Anyways, they hold the tiebreakers over most of their competition (besides the Atlanta Falcons and the New York Giants that is) and could they keep up with the Atlanta Falcons by beating up the Saints?

3. The Green Bay Packers (7-3)-Beating up the New York Giants in Metlife Stadium will be critical if they want any chance at going for a decent playoff spot.

4. The New York Giants (6-4)-The fact that they've lost two straight may suggest that they have a lot to worry about on defense, but is there really a team in their division who is playing better?

5. The Chicago Bears (7-3)-Are they seriously this bad without Jay Cutler? They need to quit relying on him to do everything for the Bears, and two straight losses against certainly isn't proving that they can win without Jay Cutler.

6. The Seattle Seahawks (6-4)-They have a weak passing game, but at least they have a strong running game with Marshawn Lynch. Do the Seahawks finally have another chance to go for a superbowl with their superior defensive line?

In the NFC Wildcard playoff race:

7. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-4)-This is the Josh Freeman that we've been waiting to see, and could he possibly guide them to a win over the Atlanta Falcons for five straight wins? Doug Martin has been impressive as well.

8. The Minnesota Vikings (6-4)-They've handled their business against the Lions, but they still have the look and the feeling of an average team that's in rebuilding mode. They desperately need to hope that Adrian Peterson continues to run faster than a motorcycle in order for them to beat the Bears tomorrow.

9. The New Orleans Saints (5-5)-Despite the fact that they've gone from 0-4 to 5-5, they really are overrated. I will give them credit if they can manage to beat the next four teams who have winning record (Drew Brees is quite good though).

10. The Dallas Cowboys (5-6)-The defensive line certainly shown that there is room for improvement against the Washington Redskins, but Tony Romo is still interesting to watch and they can possibly win the NFC East if the Giants collapse.

11. Washington Redskins (5-6)-Their defensive line may be inconsistent, but Robert Griffin 3 sure shown up against the Cowboys.

12. The Arizona Cardinals (4-6)-They aren't out of it just yet, but that will probably end tomorrow against the Rams.

Edited by ramsftw3

Pats offense is fine without Gronk. They're not as dynamic without him, but they're still very well capable of dropping 30+ sans Gronk.

And why are you specifically pointing out the games against the Dolphins? Every remaining game is ''huge'' as far as playoff seeding goes.

I can guarantee you that, even if the Giants collapse, there is no way that the Cowboys can win the AFC East. Trust me on that one.

• Upvote 1

The NFC East is pretty bad this year. Usually they get the SEC treatment of, "the best division in football." Not so much this year.

Tampa is the dark horse to watch in the playoff race and especially if they make the playoffs. Their pass defense is very questionable, but their offense has transformed and is really clicking now that Freeman has a guy like Doug Martin to keep defenses on their heels. Vincent Jackson was absolutely worth the money. I've always liked Mike Williams, and I'm glad my boy Tiquan Underwood (drafted by the Jags in 7th round and spent this past offseason with Cecil Shorts and Larry Fitzgerald learning from Jerry Sullivan, Jags WR coach) is finally carving out a spot on a team.

My prediction is Patriots/Niners in the Super Bowl. But I'm iffy on the Niners in comparison, I'm pretty dang sure of the Patriots. They've hit their stride, and their rookies on defense are really impressive. Not to mention Talib was a good pickup they desperately needed. Although I can see a team like Denver upsetting them with their pass rush ability, the only way you can stop Tom Brady and that offense. I say Pats would beat the Texans if they met. Texans have sort of been exposed when you spread them out like Green Bay, Jacksonville and Detroit showed us.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

AFC

1. Texans

2. Patriots

3. Broncos

4. Ravens

5. Steelers

6. Colts

NFC

1. Falcons

2. 49ers

3. Packers

4. Redskins

5. Bears

6. Seahawks

I can guarantee you that, even if the Giants collapse, there is no way that the Cowboys can win the AFC East. Trust me on that one.

If the Cowboys went 16-0 they could not win the AFC East lol. :p

Now to what you were saying I think the cowboys have a shot, not a good shot but a shot. The Giants though always do the midseason slump and then tear it up and December, so that makes the chances even less likely and the fact that they would have to win out and have a number of teams still lose does not make it likely. Just possible.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

I don't think the Falcons and Texans slide out of playoff spots, they are both too far ahead, and have enough easy games to not worry about losing out and just barely missing. Texans actually have clinching scenarios this week, they just need 5 teams to lose, the Titans (to the Jags) the Dolphins (to the Seahawks), the Jets (already did), the Bengals (to the Raiders) and either the Steelers or Chargers (Browns and Ravens respectively). Not impossible.

The Ravens have a tricky schedule to deal with, and they are not as good as their record implies. They have a bunch of games they could lose, but most they should win. The Chargers, Steelers, Redskins, Broncos, Giants and Bengals. The worst team of that bunch is 2 games under .500, but can keep a game close if need be. 2 losses there, especially one to the competing Broncos could knock them down in the playoff pecking order. I still think 2 wins will be enough to secure a playoff spot, and they'll get at least 3.

The Patriots are well on their way. The division is locked up essentially, unless the Dolphins get on fire and win out (would entail beating the Pats twice). The Texans, Jags and 49ers round out their schedule, and while there should be an auto win in that bunch, those other two games will determine how close the Patriots are to a super bowl berth. I think they go 4-1 in this stretch, just barely losing to the 49ers.

The Broncos have their division basically on lockdown as well. They've choked away a 3 game division lead before but they didn't have the tiebreaker then. They also have a pretty easy schedule, the Ravens and Bucs will be tough games, but winnable, and the Browns, Raiders, and Chiefs twice, which would be embarrassing to lose. I think they go 5-1 in this stretch, losing to the Bucs or Ravens, but not both.

Current wildcards in the AFC are the Steelers and Colts. 10 wins will guarantee a spot, I'm not sure if either gets to 10 here. The Colts play their division rival Texans twice. Two wins there would go a long way, but they aren't nearly prepared enough to beat the Texans. Important games these next weeks against competitors in the Bills, Titans and Lions. I think two wins would be a respectable amount, but I think they only get one. They'll lose to the Texans the week after, and be 7-7 in the last two weeks. Two wins against the Chiefs and the Texans who may be resting starters is not impossible, but 9-7 might not be enough to keep a playoff spot, especially with poor H2H tiebreakers against the Jets, Bills and/or Titans.

The Steelers are still reeling from losing Big Ben, and the schedule isn't exactly easy, but they can beat the Browns twice. From there, if they eke out two wins against the following 4 teams, they'll be fine. The Chargers, Ravens, Cowboys, and Bengals. I think they'll be fine, provided they get Ben back soon. 10-6 is a pretty reasonable record, and it could be even greater.

The Bengals have to prove themselves against their division in the final 2 weeks, and could easily run the table prior to those games. The Raiders, Chargers and Eagles are reeling, and the Cowboys are inconsistent as all hell, so it depends if you get them when they're good or not. So best case scenario, they're at 9-5 staring down the beasts in the division who are somewhere in the 9-11 win range. One win there would guarantee a spot over the Colts, two wins could potentially yield the division... but that'd be asking the Bengals to win out. I'll say 9-7 conservatively.

The Chargers play 3 contenders in a row, and more than one loss in that stretch is a death sentence. I hope they die. Next the Titans. They have the Jags twice which are should wins, the Texans and Packers are difficult games I don't expect wins out of, and the Colts and Jets are not the worst opponents to beat. Knowing the Titans year though, they might lose both of those as well. Conservatively, I'll say 7-9. Next, the Dolphins. I think I outlined it before, but they basically need to win out. Against the Patriots twice, the 49ers and Seahawks, I don't see that happening. The Jags and Bills might be wins, but you never know. They're out too.

The Jets have an easy schedule, but they don't look like a team who will win against weak teams consistently like the Texans and Pats etc. One loss will bury them, but they have the Cards, Jags, Titans, Chargers and Bills. They will lose at least one in that stretch.

Lastly the Bills, who might have the best shot of all the 4-6 teams. The game against the Colts is the big decider though, they lose there and they are in a really big hole when they play the Jags, Rams, Seahawks, Dolphins and Jets to close out, and they have to win all 5. Not an impossible feat, but this is the Bills, a team known for coming up just short. Does a 8-8 record sound familiar? The only other team that even has a fringe shot is the Raiders who would have to win out against the Bengals, Browns, Panthers, Broncos, Chiefs and Chargers. Not happening, but they could play spoiler to one of the competitors.

In short:

1. Texans 13-3

2. Patriots 12-4

3. Broncos 12-4

4. Ravens 11-5

5. Steelers 11-5

6. Colts 9-7

---

7. Bengals 9-7

8. Bills 8-8 (If they did go to 9-7, they'd probably have tiebreaker on the Bengals and Colts)

9. Chargers 8-8 (9-7 would probably put them over the Bengals and Colts.)

NFC is a bit different, because there are divisional spots that are up for grabs in more than one division. Only the NFC South is really locked up, with the Falcons sitting pretty at 9-1. The bucs and Saints are nipping at their heels and the 6th playoff spot, and play the Falcons in consecutive weeks. two straight wins will seal the division and a playoff spot, and I think they can meet that demand. Panthers, Giants, Lions and Bucs to close out the regular season, and they can win two of those comfortably, and will probably take three. I say 13-3 comfortably, could be 14-2.

The 49ers don't exactly have a brutal schedule, but divisional games make their road harder, as well as playing the Pats. I say they have at least two wins against the Cards and Dolphins, and they'll split the remaining 4 against the Pats, Saints, Seahawks, and Rams. 11-4-1 should be a playoff berth.

Packers are currently the third seed, but have to face the brunt of their divisional games as well as the Giants and Titans. Still, I think they're for real, and take 5 of 6, maybe losing one to the Vikings or Bears. 12-4, enough to surpass the 49ers.

Giants have an unforgiving schedule heading into december. The Packers, Redskins, Saints, Falcons, Ravens, and Eagles are all tough matches, though the Eagles might be the only win they can chalk up. I think they manage to win two or three of those other 5 matches and go 3-3 or 4-2 in that stretch, finishing with a record of 9-7. It may be enough to take the NFC East.

The Bears don't have it any easier, the Vikings, Seahawks, Vikings again, Packers, and Cards and Lions to close out doesn't give any easy matches. If they're for real, they'll win four of six, but if they play with Jason Campbell, they might only win one of six. They're probably the biggest cog in this playoff race, I'll give them 3 wins, but I honestly have no idea who they'd be against. 10-6 should yield a wild card spot.

The Seahawks face the Dolphins and Bills in the AFC, and should win those games, provided they are who we think they are. The Bears and 49ers will be challenges, and the Cardinals and Rams are division rivals, no easy games there. I will say tentatively that they go 4-2 down the stretch with two losses. Again, 10-6 should yield a wild card.

The Bucs have a tough road, facing the Falcons twice, the Saints, Broncos, Eagles and Rams. Winning 3 of those would be impressive, but it wouldn't be enough to get into the playoffs. They might luck out, beat the Saints, Broncos, Eagles and Rams, and then face the Falcons resting starters, but that is by no means an easy trek. I think 4 is the max for the Bucs here, provided the Falcons rest starters in week 17. I'll say they fluke out and go 10-6. More competition right?

The Vikings are one of the other teams nipping at the heels, but their schedule is brutal upcoming. Bears twice, Packers twice, Texans and Rams. No easy game there, 2 wins would be good for the future, 3 impressive, 4 or more insane. They aren't getting more than 3. Vikings will close out 8-8 or 9-7, maybe stealing one from the Pack.

The Saints are one game back but they're hot right now and could sneak in by proving themselves against the competitors in the division. 49ers, Falcons, Giants, Bucs, Cowboys and Panthers is by no means an easy stretch, but if they pull 3 wins in the first 4, they are laughing their way to a 10-6 record. And I say I'm all for a 10-6 clusterfuck in the wild card.

The Cowboys and Redskins aren't really in the wild card hunt even if they are only 1.5 games back, their best bet is the division where they're also 1.5 games back because getting past one team with a tough schedule is far easier than 4-6 teams with slightly better schedules. The Redskins have their key game against the Giants next week, and then the Ravens, Browns, Eagles and Cowboys to close out. I think they can win 3 of the last 4, but the Giants game is the one that matters. However, it'll be December when that game comes... The Cowboys... I'm not the slightest bit optimistic for. The Eagles, Steelers, Bengals, Saints and Skins to close out... I'd consider them lucky to win more than one down that stretch. I've basically written the Lions off and any team with 6 or more losses, so the Cardinals are the only remaining fringe team and they'd have to win out. Don't see that happening.

So all in all:

1. Falcons (13-3)

2. Packers (12-4)

3. 49ers (11-4-1)

4. Giants (10-6) or Redskins (9-7) depending on the Giants/Skins game

5. Saints (10-6) (I guess they'd have the tiebreakers in this situation... dear god)

6. Bears (10-6) (Neat.)

---

7. Bucs (10-6) (That's rough.)

8. Seahawks (10-6)

9. Vikings (9-7)

10. Giants (9-7) or Redskins (8-8)

If the Cowboys went 16-0 they could not win the AFC East lol. :p

Now to what you were saying I think the cowboys have a shot, not a good shot but a shot. The Giants though always do the midseason slump and then tear it up and December, so that makes the chances even less likely and the fact that they would have to win out and have a number of teams still lose does not make it likely. Just possible.

I was intentionally saying AFC East because that's what he originally posted.

I was intentionally saying AFC East because that's what he originally posted.

I was agreeing lol. Sarcasm is a mofo on forums lol.

Last night was maybe the first time in the Mike McCarthy era that I could actually tell that we didn't want it. We got man handled in every phase of the game and we looked absolutely out of it mentally. We aren't going ANYWHERE with that approach. It was almost lazy... It really disgusted me as a fan. Lose to the Giants? No problem. Look that lethargic and uninterested? Return your game check immediately.

This is a huge week for us... We will either return better than ever and learn from our mistakes, or take the loss to heart and look mediocre to awful the rest of the year.

As a team, the Packers really haven't dealt with a loss like this in almost a decade... How they respond will be critical.

The AFC: 1. The Houston Texans (10-1)-They are definitely the top team in the AFC, and they can prove that by beating the Patriots in two weeks.

2. The Baltimore Ravens (9-2)-They escaped with a win in San Diego, but could Joe Flacco make his first superbowl appearance this year?

3. The New England Patriots (8-3)

4. The Denver Broncos (8-3)-The lackluster 17-9 win over the Chiefs was certainly ugly and it did show weaknesses on offense still, a huge concern for when they are playing top teams in the playoffs.

5. The Indianapolis Colts (7-4)-The Indianapolis Colts are a decent team with Andrew Luck, but they aren't an elite team.

6. The Pittsburgh Steelers (6-5)-It's been shown that the Steelers have little depth on offense without Ben Roethlisberger (despite Mike Wallace) and they are in danger of falling to 6-6 after they play the Ravens.

Still in the race:

7. The Cincinnati Bengals (6-5)-Winning four of their next five games will give them a playoff spot as long as one of the wins happens to be over the Steelers. They did demolish the Raiders last week, but they have the look and the feeling of an average team still.

8. The Miami Dolphins (5-6)-They are still in it, but the Patriots and the 49ers will probably end their playoff chances within the next two weeks. Ryan Tannehill did play alright yesterday though.

The NFC:

1. The Atlanta Falcons (10-1)-Matt Ryan put up some big number against the Buccaneers yesterday, but they were still seconds away from losing.

2. The San Francisco 49ers (8-2-1)-They made Drew Brees look like an awful quarterback yesterday, and Drew Brees is one of the top quarterbacks.

3. The Chicago Bears (8-3)-Jay Cutler has another test next week against the Seahawks. Do you think that he can do it?

4. The New York Giants (7-4)-When was the last time that a game between the Giants and the Redskins actually meant something?

5. The Green Bay Packers (7-4)-They aren't an elite team, but they still are extremely good.

6. The Seattle Seahawks (6-5)-Losing the Dolphins may not mean much, but it sure made me wonder if Ryan Tannehill was just better than we all thought he was or if the Seahawks defense choked. They fortunately haven't lost any ground for a wildcard spot though.

In the race:

7. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-5)-Josh Freeman deserves more credit, which is why it's unfortunate that he plays in the same division as Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. Doug Martin deserves more credit, which is why it's unfortunate that he's in the same conference as Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch.

8. The Minnesota Vikings (6-5)-They really are just an average team in rebuilding mode still, but wouldn't it be amazing if Christian Ponder was to guide the Vikings into the playoffs?

9. The Dallas Cowboys (5-6)-They need to beat the hapless Eagles and they need the Redskins to upset the Giants in order for the NFC East to become a race again.

10. The Washington Redskins (5-6)-See the comment for the New York Giants up above.

11. The New Orleans Saints (5-6)-Does anybody else see the similarities between this years Saints and the 2007 New Orleans Saints? It's as if they went back in time again.

Edited by ramsftw3

As a team, the Packers really haven't dealt with a loss like this in almost a decade... How they respond will be critical.

Not even that 35-7 loss to chicago in 07? :ninja: Lol yes I went back to look, you said decade :grinno:

Not even that 35-7 loss to chicago in 07? :ninja: Lol yes I went back to look, you said decade :grinno:

How about the 51-29 loss to the Saints as well? Drew Brees really destroyed that defensive line.

Edited by ramsftw3