Smell My Face

Wright Highlights What's Wrong With Minnesota's Receivers

Wright Highlights What's Wrong With Minnesota's Receivers

By Christopher Gates on Nov 27, 8:43a

Jarius Wright (representing The Daily Norseman) has already made a significant impact on the Minnesota Vikings, despite only being active for two games so far in the 2012 NFL season.

In the two games he's been active, Wright has caught 10 passes for 114 yards and a touchdown. It's definitely enough to make one wonder why he couldn't get onto the field any sooner than he did, particularly when compared to some of the Vikings' other wide receivers.

Here's the sad comparison:

Jarius Wright (2 games) - 10 catches, 114 yards, 1 TD

Jerome Simpson (7 games) - 12 catches, 138 yards, 0 TD

Devin Aromashodu (10 games) - 11 catches, 182 yards, 0 TD

Stephen Burton (9 games) - 2 catches, 13 yards, 1 TD

Yes, in just two games, Wright has almost as many catches as our big free agent acquisition for this season, almost as many as a guy that's been on the team for the last two seasons, and five times as many as another guy that's been on the team for the last two seasons. (He also has as many TD catches as those three players combined, and none of the other three guys have found the end zone since Week 2.) Not to mention that he also already has twice as many receptions as tight end John Carlson.

Christian Ponder has taken a lot of heat for not getting the ball to the wide receivers. Well, he doesn't seem to be having any trouble getting the ball to Jarius Wright, from all appearances. Jarius Wright appears to have the ability to actually get open on occasion. The other three guys I listed? Not so much, no.

The Minnesota Vikings currently have six wide receivers on the 53-man roster. . .Percy Harvin, Michael Jenkins, Jarius Wright, Devin Aromashodu, Jerome Simpson, and Stephen Burton. As I've said before, I don't expect any of those guys not named Harvin or Wright to be on this team next season.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/11/27/3696892/wright-highlights-whats-wrong-with-minnesotas-receivers

Found this interesting and depressing at the same time.

Curious what Michael Jenkins's stats are.

Curious what Michael Jenkins's stats are.

Without even really knowing I'm guessing very very pedestrian.

I'm keeping track so I can tell you. Jenkins has 28 catches for 307 yards and 1 TD. (that's before the Chicago game though.) Also he's been targeted 46 times, has 101 YAC, has 2 drops, and Ponder has thrown 2 INT's when going his way.

During the bears game I noticed the WRS not getting open except for Rudolph and Wright. Jeromse Simpsons had a lot of drops in the game.

I will say this as it relates to Ponder and these receivers, and this is probably the same thing I'll be preaching til he proves me otherwise consistnetly.

I can understand the thinking that some don't want to judge him based on what he has to work with at the WR, it makes sense.

But holding off on assessing his play and whether or not he is the answer until he gets a talent level around him that's never likely going to get without a huge offseason splash in the first place is worse. Which is why what should be assessed is Ponder's mechanics and what he's doing in a game not taking into account WR play. And thus far, it's been pretty underwhelming considering he had a full offseason to work with.