Favre4Ever

A Football Life: Barry Sanders

In case anyone missed it...

Man, I loved this. I wish the Lions front office and team in general weren't such a shitshow through his time there. You don't lose your passion or motivation for the game in your prime because you are a great team. If the Lions weren't committed to rebuilding in the prime of his career, we might be talkign about Barry holding dominating leads in every rushing category in NFL history, much like Jerry does with receiving.

The Lions have since got what they deserved, however. Hopefully there are many more years like it to come.

I never knew that stuff about Barry's dad though. Such an enigmatic, loving yet challenging individual to have in your life. I wasn't keen to watching HoF speeches and stuff back when he was inducted so when I heard his dad get up on that podium and give a shoutout to Jim Brown, "the best RB in NFL history", I was kind of floored. Then he follows that up by saying, "It is now my privilege to introduce the 3rd best RB in NFL History... Barry Sanders".

Just wow.

Anyway, EPIC stuff. Love me some Barry Sanders... And this just makes me hate the Lions more. Going from having Barry Sanders as the face of your franchise. The definition of class, greatness, and dignity to where they are now... A shitshow and the face of foul and dirty play... What a 180.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 2

Barry Sanders:

Averaged 5.0 yards per carry, 99.8 yards per game, just about 10 rushing TD's a year and over 18,000 yards from scrimmage. Beast.

Wonder how long he could have played in his 30's.

If he were to play a few more years he'd most likely be the NFL's all-purpose yards leader.

http://www.pro-footb..._yds_career.htm

Edited by BayAreaBomber

Watching Sanders play was amazing. IMO, only Jim Brown was of the same caliber of RB as Sanders was.

Ya... I have always called Jim Brown the GOAT, and while I won't be changing that opinion... I mean, can we really say one is greater than the other? It's a 1a and 1b kind of thing, and both played the game so differently that it makes it even harder to truly compare the two.

Oh.. and I do love it, because Emmitt seems really miffed that he got outshined by Barry throughout his career. Smith might have the numbers, records, and championships -- But Barry Sanders is the true champion of the two.

Such an anomaly for an athlete so great to be so humble and to not seek the spot light. What a great player. Oh and I'm also glad they didn't portray him as having a lack of love for the game. It was BECAUSE he loved the game that he had to leave.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 2

Props man, not sure if I DVR'd this or not. I wanted to see it, so you just gave me a plan B if they didn't work out.

Watching Sanders growing up was jaw dropping.

Sanders was the greatest ever imo. All that really needs to be said.

• Upvote 1

Ya... I have always called Jim Brown the GOAT, and while I won't be changing that opinion... I mean, can we really say one is greater than the other? It's a 1a and 1b kind of thing, and both played the game so differently that it makes it even harder to truly compare the two.

Oh.. and I do love it, because Emmitt seems really miffed that he got outshined by Barry throughout his career. Smith might have the numbers, records, and championships -- But Barry Sanders is the true champion of the two.

+1

Barry Sanders is the greatest RB to ever grace the football field. I think Curtis Martin said it best:

(Jim Brown)" At one time, he was one of the biggest guys on the field and think he would be different in today's game... Barry Sanders is a guy that no matter what year, 1920 or 2012, he would still be the best RB in the Nfl any given time."

We had a thread like this I believe during the preseason (when I was a little more active) and Curtis Martin couldn't have said it better. I have all the respect for Jim Brown and he completely dominated in the era that he played the game in but I don't know if he would have the same success in today's game. Jim Brown was head and shoulders above his competition and was a complete Giant compared to the rest of the league. There's always the argument that the game was nastier and grittier back then but that was mainly due to the fact that the game itself was dirty and had less rules to protect the players. Horse collars, clips, etc; cheapshots. Today's game and primarily defenders has evolved. While Goodell is turning the league into flag football, but the players in today's are super athletes compared to the players back in the day. There is no denying that players have evolved and the pool of talent is way greater as a whole. The athletes are much better, faster, jump higher etc etc. We've seen several positions evolve on all sides of the ball. The game is different. Less gritty but more talented.

Barry is the type of player that could be successful in all eras of football imo. Barry was the most exciting player to play this game imo. Such a great talent and you knew he was going to give you a highlight. I was introduced to football watching Barry Sanders and the ride was amazing. You couldn't as more of him as a football player AND a person. So humble on one of the worst teams in the league and he still shined. There is NO doubt in my mind that Barry would have eclipsed everyone and own those rushing records if he didn't cut his career short. It sucks that the Lions sucked the life out of him but I'm not mad; I'm grateful that I got to watch the best RB to ever play this game.

PS: As far as Emmitt Smith, great talent in all but as far as him being one of the greatest, he had one of the greatest teams / supporting cast around him. HoF QB, HoF WR, HoF Offensive Lineman, etc etc. Barry had himself, his Dad, and his God given talent.

#Barry Sanders the best RB of all time.