Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Offensive Rookie of the Year

Offensive Rookie of the Year  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the offensive rookie of the year?

• Andrew Luck
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Russell Wilson
    • Alfred Morris
    • Doug Martin
    • Other

As predictable as most of these things usually are. Last season, everyone knew that barring a colossal collapse, A-Rod was going to win the MVP by week 5. Brees closed the gap, but the hype train was already full speed ahead. This RG3/Russel Wilson situation is eerily similar to that one. Wilson made his case in the home stretch, but RG3 had already won in the court of public opinion. He flashes that classic Griffin smile, sells some shoes, and is genuinely talented. Still, Wilson was just as good and all three led previously bad teams to the playoffs, so that point is moot. I'm not saying that Griffin didn't deserve the award. I'm just saying that the gap should have been much smaller with Luck taking a much more distant third. Wilson should have gotten serious consideration.

As predictable as most of these things usually are. Last season, everyone knew that barring a colossal collapse, A-Rod was going to win the MVP by week 5. Brees closed the gap, but the hype train was already full speed ahead. This RG3/Russel Wilson situation is eerily similar to that one. Wilson made his case in the home stretch, but RG3 had already won in the court of public opinion. He flashes that classic Griffin smile, sells some shoes, and is genuinely talented. Still, Wilson was just as good and all three led previously bad teams to the playoffs, so that point is moot. I'm not saying that Griffin didn't deserve the award. I'm just saying that the gap should have been much smaller with Luck taking a much more distant third. Wilson should have gotten serious consideration.

Here is how I see the way it ended up:

1) Robert Griffin III was immediately effective and his impact on the Redskins offense was instantly visible (306 yds passing in his NFL debut). He was easily as deadly in the pocket with his pinpoint accuracy as he was when flushed from the pocket. Besides, his QB ROOKIE rating of 102 and TD:INT ratio was damn near legendary at 5:1, along with his 66% completions.

2) Andrew Luck did much more with much, much less talent around him. He also threw the ball a fuck-ton more than either Griffin III or Wilson, so his numbers were inflated a bit. He also didn't take care of the football nearly as well as the other two QB's. The 7 game-winning drives certainly didn't hurt him at all.

3) Russell Wilson had a fantastic season, but wasn't all that effective until the Seahawks tranistioned into a 'pitsol' offense just like the Redskins had been running all season. At the same time, he was only really at his best when moving outside of the pocket. If teams had been able to contain him within the pocket, he would have been less effective due to his lack of ideal height.

Here is how I see the way it ended up:

1) Robert Griffin III was immediately effective and his impact on the Redskins offense was instantly visible (306 yds passing in his NFL debut). He was easily as deadly in the pocket with his pinpoint accuracy as he was when flushed from the pocket. Besides, his QB ROOKIE rating of 102 and TD:INT ratio was damn near legendary at 5:1, along with his 66% completions.

2) Andrew Luck did much more with much, much less talent around him. He also threw the ball a fuck-ton more than either Griffin III or Wilson, so his numbers were inflated a bit. He also didn't take care of the football nearly as well as the other two QB's. The 7 game-winning drives certainly didn't hurt him at all.

3) Russell Wilson had a fantastic season, but wasn't all that effective until the Seahawks tranistioned into a 'pitsol' offense just like the Redskins had been running all season. At the same time, he was only really at his best when moving outside of the pocket. If teams had been able to contain him within the pocket, he would have been less effective due to his lack of ideal height.

So from what I can gather from this post is that you view both Griffin and Wilson as pretty much the same guy, but you're giving the nod to Griffin because his coaches got the ball rolling on this collegiate-type scheme first while also sighting Griffin's efficiency as a major factor, yet you still managed to squeeze Luck in between them. Griffin is only 2-3 inches taller than Wilson, he plays in the same system as you said, and both kids limit their TOs which is key in successful QBing. How exactly does Luck jump Wilson? Is it just the fact that he had to come back so many times?

Also, Are the Colts really MUCH worse than the other two teams? I'd say that the Seahawks are probably the best team of the three, with the Skins and Colts very close. I'd give the edge to the Skins simply because they actually have a running game to compliment Griffin, but Seattle would probably beat them both more often than not.

So from what I can gather from this post is that you view both Griffin and Wilson as pretty much the same guy, but you're giving the nod to Griffin because his coaches got the ball rolling on this collegiate-type scheme first while also sighting Griffin's efficiency as a major factor, yet you still managed to squeeze Luck in between them. Griffin is only 2-3 inches taller than Wilson, he plays in the same system as you said, and both kids limit their TOs which is key in successful QBing. How exactly does Luck jump Wilson? Is it just the fact that he had to come back so many times?

Also, Are the Colts really MUCH worse than the other two teams? I'd say that the Seahawks are probably the best team of the three, with the Skins and Colts very close. I'd give the edge to the Skins simply because they actually have a running game to compliment Griffin, but Seattle would probably beat them both more often than not.

Yes. Luck got the jump (only slightly) over Wilson because of the comebacks. Two or three inches is a pretty big difference in height, especially in sports.

As for the teams, coming into the season, the Colts were easily one of the worst teams in the league, the Redskins were not all that much better and the Seahawks were certainly the best of the three.

Yes. Luck got the jump (only slightly) over Wilson because of the comebacks. Two or three inches is a pretty big difference in height, especially in sports.

As for the teams, coming into the season, the Colts were easily one of the worst teams in the league, the Redskins were not all that much better and the Seahawks were certainly the best of the three.

Ok. just wanted to know your thought process behind your ranking. It's worth noting that Wilson had 6 game winning fourth quarter drives if you count the Falcons game—I do, even though they didn't win. He was also part of a 3 game stretch in which his team scored 150 points during which he played no small role in the point piling. I couldn't penalize him for playing for a more finished product of a team, but I can wrap my head around your reasoning I suppose. Still, only one less comeback win than Luck is something that you may not have realized. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

I bet Russell Wilson would have a shitload of comebacks, too, if he tried to lose like Luck did so many times. Luck has the arm, but really needs to work on his reads and decision making this off season. 1st QB taken, 3rd best at best.

I hate this come back stat that everyone keeps throwing out there. He was one of the main reasons they had to fight back. INTs...

• Upvote 1

Ok. just wanted to know your thought process behind your ranking. It's worth noting that Wilson had 6 game winning fourth quarter drives if you count the Falcons game—I do, even though they didn't win. He was also part of a 3 game stretch in which his team scored 150 points during which he played no small role in the point piling. I couldn't penalize him for playing for a more finished product of a team, but I can wrap my head around your reasoning I suppose. Still, only one less comeback win than Luck is something that you may not have realized. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

I honestly did not realize that he had that many comebacks. In that case, I would likely place him right next to Luck, if not a very tiny bit ahead of him since he took better care of the football.

I would honestly put Morris over RGIII, and I love RGIII. Morris is just as important, if not more important than RGIII. Without the threat of Morris plowing over your line, RGIII would have been much easier to contain. besides, who honestly thought that the RB who was #3 on the depth chart coming into the season would wind up being #2 in the entire NFL in rushing?

Look up running backs under mike shanahan to know why rg3 was better than Wilson.

I hate this come back stat that everyone keeps throwing out there. He was one of the main reasons they had to fight back. INTs...

This is pretty true, and not many people stop and take a second to look at that point. However, I think the comeback stat is still pretty amazing even with the fact that he may have been the reason they needed it in the first place. He goes out and throws an interception or two at a critical point, then he wins the game for them. That tells me the kid has a lot of composure.

Has to be Wilson, hands down. From watching as much of these guys as humanly possible I believe Wilson is the best leader, decision maker and elevates the level of play of his teammates more than the other gifted young QBs.

RG3 has the most impressive physical tools and a good mind for the position. But he has his buts, I don't need to point them out. He had a great season but is #3 on my list. Hope he gets healthy.

Luck gets my #2 for doing more with less. Say what you will but if you stack up the Colts with the other teams its hard pressed not to rank them 3rd in most categories.

Wilson wins for being the Offensive rookie of the year. Flashy play gets more attention is what I tell myself, not slighting RG3s stats, just watched nearly every game and week by week and Wilson seemed way ahead, even early on. Usurping (in some eyes) the spot and then playing a very conservative playbook for 6 weeks and still tying Peytons rookie TD record, but with considerably less INTs and considerably more on the line. And he was unshakable, consistent to the point of inspiring coonfidence all around him. He is a special player and IMO most likely to be here to stay. If you're into weird stats look up his seconds til throw, seconds until he runs, seconds after scramble and distance from scrimmage per pass... very interesting. Oh and he's got a great arm, can make every throw look easy, handles pressure like a diamond and he can run... remember that block where he ran PAST Lynch in full stride? In my world for a QB that trumps a big run.

Why was there more on the line for the Seahawks that the Skins or the Colts? All of them made the playoffs, all of them had plenty on the line. Wilson also easily had the best overall team of the 3.

Not saying you're wrong, but it was pretty damn close. And no way is Luck ahead of RG3, he was #3 of the 3.

Why was there more on the line for the Seahawks that the Skins or the Colts? All of them made the playoffs, all of them had plenty on the line. Wilson also easily had the best overall team of the 3.

Not saying you're wrong, but it was pretty damn close. And no way is Luck ahead of RG3, he was #3 of the 3.

I think he was saying that he had more on the line than Peyton did his rookie year and still had as many TDs with less picks.

I think he was saying that he had more on the line than Peyton did his rookie year and still had as many TDs with less picks.

Ah, yes, that is probably what he meant.

And to confirm I did mean Peyton. And confidence typo was not a slur... just a phone related typo.

But it will all be about next year. I feel with a year of film on each guy Wilson will distance himself from the pack. How do you defend a guy who smashed our perception of seconds until scramble and throw? He's like a video game QB. Escapes the pocket and kills 4.5 seconds allowing everybody to get open. Unheard of... his QBR should be bottom 10 once you're around that 3 second mark. To put it into consideration he holds the ball about 30% longer than Roethlisberger... He scrambles, buys time and looks comfortable doing it. I realize Griffin had a remarkable season and most years should have won the trophy. But this year was about popularity.

Imagine this... Wilson is 4" taller clocking in at 6'3" nobody gives a crap about Lucks heralded 172 efficiency rating and learns Wilson had a 192 (best ever... tmk) Wilson goes #1 has the same season and this discussion never happens. He wins the award with ease.