Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Whisenhunt emerging as favorite for Bills job

According to the Buffalo News, Bills CEO Russ Brandon is "fond" of ex-Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and "would like the opportunity to land him as Chan Gailey's replacement."

Scheduled to be interviewed along with Cardinals DC Ray Horton on Wednesday, Whiz is emerging as the early favorite in Buffalo. He has another fan in the Bills front office, as GM-in-waiting Doug Whaley spent six years with Whisenhunt in Pittsburgh. Per the Buffalo News, ex-Bears coach Lovie Smith "feels very good" about his fit with the Bills, though it's not clear if the feeling is mutual. The Bills have also set up interviews with Cardinals assistant head coach/OL Russ Grimm, Broncos OC Mike McCoy and Syracuse's Doug Marrone. They're said to be interested in Bengals assistant Hue Jackson and Oregon coach Chip Kelly as well.

Hate hate hate hate hate

• Upvote 1

GET SMITH.

Nothing against Whisenhunt, I just feel that Smith would be a better choice.

Wisenhunt is one of those guys I just don't know about. Dude is an offensive minded coach who fielded the worst offense in the league. Best draft pick the Cardinals had on that side of the ball was probably Andre Roberts? His line generally sucked. His RBs were pretty awful. And the 15 QBs he tried out all failed. The most successful (other than Kurt) was Kevin Kolb. Wow.

Also... Buffalo doesn't have a great QB in place for him. Is he walking into the same situation he did in Arizona? And who is going to be his Ray Horton?

I just don't know about him...

• Upvote 1

Wisenhunt is one of those guys I just don't know about. Dude is an offensive minded coach who fielded the worst offense in the league. Best draft pick the Cardinals had on that side of the ball was probably Andre Roberts? His line generally sucked. His RBs were pretty awful. And the 15 QBs he tried out all failed. The most successful (other than Kurt) was Kevin Kolb. Wow.

Also... Buffalo doesn't have a great QB in place for him. Is he walking into the same situation he did in Arizona? And who is going to be his Ray Horton?

I just don't know about him...

How much of that can be blamed on Wisenhunt and how much blamed on management? I don't think he is an amazing coach or anything, but he's already shown he can do big things with a good QB. The Cardinals have just had arguably the worst season any team has ever had at the QB position. I think the Bills could do way worse.

How much of that can be blamed on Wisenhunt and how much blamed on management? I don't think he is an amazing coach or anything, but he's already shown he can do big things with a good QB. The Cardinals have just had arguably the worst season any team has ever had at the QB position. I think the Bills could do way worse.

Oh ya, it's a great question. And one we will probably never know. I would be led to believe he had some kind of input on the players he fielded though. If he didn't have that much input and just was dealt a bad hand by some bad offensive evaluations from the personnel department, does that really help his case though? If you have to add a well to do and very successful scouting group to make him successful... Eh.

Now, I realize,normally, you want a nice happy medium. You don't want terrible scouts, but you also don't want a coach who can't get the best out of the talent you have.

I also know, from listening to ESPN, that generally that he is well regarded as a good coach around the league. Not 100% sure I know what that means, but it counts for something, I guess.

You just have to wonder if a lot of good things came together for him in Zona in order to have the success he had (Kurt Warner / Larry Fitz namely, Horton put together a very nice defense). And obviously some bad things came together as well (no offense whatsoever after his HoF QB left).

Do the teams looking to hire him have the foundation and the resources to makes him a successful head coach though? Is he a coach that can make the best of very little? Is he a coach you want to rely on to build your team from the bottom up... Or is he a guy you maybe want on an established team to be a leader of men type of thing?