Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Alex Smith to KC rumors... >:O

I suppose the question now becomes what happens to Matt Cassel now that Smith is going to KC? Is there any team out there QB hungry enough to trade for him? I know I'd have to be extremely desperate to go after a guy knowing his current team just traded for his replacement. Then again Cassel was seeing success for a little while, so maybe someone will give him a shot.

Edited by Jayrus

Matt Cassell to Arizona....you heard it here first. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Flynn got traded.

Matt Cassell to Arizona....you heard it here first. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Flynn got traded.

I could see it. Arizona knows we'd never trade Flynn to a division rival so they have no shot at him unless they offer us something massive, and the Jets are keeping Sanchez around to fight for his job. With the lackluster talent in the draft at QB this year Arizona's options are draft a guy later on and groom him, or trade for Cassel and I could very well see them bringing in Cassel and having him compete with Kolb for the starting spot. I don't know how much of an upgrade over Kolb he'd be but it's a better competition than Kolb Vs Skelton.

Edited by Jayrus

I could see it. Arizona knows we'd never trade Flynn to a division rival so they have no shot at him unless they offer us something massive, and the Jets are keeping Sanchez around to fight for his job. With the lackluster talent in the draft at QB this year Arizona's options are draft a guy later on and groom him, or trade for Cassel and I could very well see them bringing in Cassel and having him compete with Kolb for the starting spot. I don't know how much of an upgrade over Kolb he'd be but it's a better competition than Kolb Vs Skelton.

With the way Kolb and Cassell struggle with injuries. Maybe the Cards could get 6 full games from each behind that turable offensive line and then ride out the season with Skelton :p

A Kolb/Cassel QB competition would surely bring the LULZ.

It's a must now that the Chiefs keep Bowe. I see them picking Luke 1st overall to help fortify Smith. This move has potential and I'm curious to see how it plays out. Just surround Smith with a couple more weapons like an athletic TE in one of the later rounds to help SMith.

If they could trade down in the 1st, that would be ideal. Even if they don't get proper compensation.. If they could even recoup their 2nd round pick, I think that would be a huge win -- depending on how far down they are moving.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid confirmed Wednesday Alex Smith won't have to compete with new signee Chase Daniel in training camp.

"Alex Smith is the starting quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs," Reid said unambiguously. Daniel drew hype as a potential starter in free agency before signing a three-year, $10 million contract that includes $5 million guaranteed. That's a lot for a No. 2, but Smith won't lose his job barring a season-ending injury.

Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Eh, he'll just get concussed and then Daniel will play well for a game and suddenly he's the starter.

• Upvote 1

Chase Daniel's three-year, $10 million deal with the Chiefs will void if he throws for more than 2,000 yards and 12 touchdowns in any given season.

In other words, if he becomes a starter, he'll be able to get paid like a starter the following offseason. Barring injury to Alex Smith, Daniel shouldn't get the chance in 2013, but it's a creative clause on the part of his agent.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

After trying (and failing) to trade Matt Cassel, the Chiefs have released their failure of a QB.

Chiefs QBs coach Matt Nagy praised Alex Smith, saying "he's been everything that we thought he was."

"He's a true professional," said Nagy. "He's in his (playbook) every day. He's always asking questions, trying to get better. He's being a leader for the other (quarterbacks) as well." Of course, Smith hasn't practiced with pads on yet, but this news certainly bodes well for Smith's 2013 fantasy prospects. He's a dark horse QB2 candidate in Andy Reid's West Coast offense.

Source: The Wichita Eagle

I'll believe what I see from September on.

Can't believe some of what I've read in this thread...

Oh well, can't wait til September.

Gotta invite the discussion... Let's see what you got. lol.

Gotta invite the discussion... Let's see what you got. lol.

Haha, nope. I'll let Alex Smith do the talking, I am quite confident he will shut a lot of people up this year lol. We'll see I guess, maybe i'm higher on him than some others...?

(Main reason why I'm going to pass on giving my take is i'd be saying a lot of the same things as Favre4ever. I agree with him 100% on about every single one of his posts).

Edited by Chiefer
  • Upvote 1

A new highly intelligent poster. I like you Chiefer. ;)

• Upvote 1

A new highly intelligent poster. I like you Chiefer. ;)

lol...good to hear.

Is it really so unbelievable that people aren't sold on a guy who's career has an eery similarity to that of Matt Cassel? He's had less than two full seasons of productive football for a coach who got the most out of him and still didn't want him anymore. I'm not as upset about him as I was before, and hell, it's probably going to be much better than Cassel was for the team.

That being said, I'm not nearly as all in on this guy as you seem to be. I'm all in on the Chiefs, and I know him playing well is going to be essential to the revival of the Chiefs. I'm pretty sure he can do enough to not lose games for them. I'd like to see more than that though, and I'm not so sure he has more than that.

Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles called Alex Smith Super Bowl-caliber quarterback.

"I think he is. He's got a great arm," Charles told NFL.com's Around The League. "He's been winning most all of his career. I think he wants to prove people wrong: That he is a good quarterback, that he can stay consistent." While Charles may be using a bit of hyperbole here, we do like Smith's fit in Andy Reid's offense and wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he finishes the season as a QB2.

Source: NFL.com

Yeah, I saw that. I watched the interviews he did on NFL A.M. and Total Access. He's pretty much just kissing the ground that Smith walks on. I don't blame him either. He's finally seeing another NFL QB outside of Matt Cassel. Hopefully he knows what he's looking at accurately enough to correctly diagnose the guy's skill level. After all: He only knows Matt Cassel as his every day QB.

All that said, I'm really pumped for this season, and Charles' words are loading my enthusiasm. Bowe too, really. It seems that everyone from the Chiefs who does any kind of interview can't say enough about how much they love Reid, this new offense, Smith and the rest of what's going on in KC. Go Chiefs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3119/alex-smith

The Chiefs haven't attempted a single running play in teams drills through two days of training camp.Andy Reid has always been an ardent believer in slinging the ball around the yard. While we've yet to see any football games, early camp indications suggest Reid won't change his offensive philosophy to fit his talent in Kansas City. Jamaal Charles is the best player on the roster, and new QB Alex Smith has never had success in a high-volume pass game. In 2011 with the 49ers, Smith attempted the fewest passes of any 16-game starter. In 2012, Smith was on pace for even fewer attempts before getting benched for Colin Kaepernick. Jul 24 - 5:26 PM

This is bad news for Alex Smith and the Chiefs offense. Seems like they're straying away from the low volume, high % throwing formula that Smith was able to find success in. The main reason I've thought all along that Smith and the Andy Reid led Chiefs are doomed is because Reid likes high volume, low %. That's the sort of thing that has led to Smith turning the ball over like crazy in his career to date.

And the other side of the coin is the potential under-use of the Chiefs' best player on offense. Charles might be getting the Lesean McCoy treatment.

You would have thought though that Andy would have known that going into this project after going so hard for Alex Smith.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid told NFL Network that his offense will ask Alex Smith to "pull the trigger" in 2013.

It's a quietly fascinating situation because Smith has only had success in run-dominated offenses with elite defensive play, making life much easier on the quarterback with favorable down-and-distances and very little comeback mode. Reid has always been a pass-first coach, and apparently has no designs on changing that in K.C. We're not optimistic this ends well for Smith.

You would have thought though that Andy would have known that going into this project after going so hard for Alex Smith.

You would think. Maybe he knows something we don't. Or maybe it's just the typical hubris we see from NFL head coaches all the time. But regardless, Reid can't argue with what has happened on the football field- and so far in his career Smith has only been successful as a low volume, high % game manager who can lean on a fantastic running game and defense.

Smith's record when opponents scores 24 or more points: 2-25-1