Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Bills franchise Byrd

Damn :(, not shocked by this news. But I really liked him as a fit for us.

Everyone knew this was coming. Wish he would have hit the market though. One of the best safeties in the game and he's still young. Would have been a perfect fit for the Bucs.

Bills FS Jairus Byrd's franchise tag is non-exclusive.

This means other NFL clubs could try signing Byrd to an offer sheet. Buffalo has the right to match any offer, but would be awarded two first-round picks if they chose not to. The chances any team is willing to part with two first-rounders in exchange for a safety are nonexistent. Byrd will remain a Bill.

Source: buffalobills.com

The right decision for Buffalo for sure. Talented young safety, gotta keep him around.

Per Rotoworld.com:

A league source tells WGR 550 Buffalo he'd be "completely and utterly shocked" if the Bills reached a long-term agreement with unsigned franchise player FS Jairus Byrd ahead of Monday's deadline.

Per the source, there are "no talks going on," and "someone would have to seriously cave" for a deal to be reached. Another league source says Byrd is seeking somewhere between Eric Weddle (five years, $19 million guaranteed) and Dashon Goldson (five years, $22 million guaranteed) money. The second source doesn't believe Buffalo values the safety position enough to "pay at that level." The first source hints he doesn't expect Byrd to hold out. "They'll get him to play at a franchise level this year and see how he performs in the new defense." Jul 12 - 8:23 AM

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

Ridiculous....I think its one thing to not value the position of safety highly in Pettine’s defense. I personally dont think that makes a lot of sense. But, even if they dont value the position, they should value the PLAYER! Byrd is a playmaker, plain and simple. And he’s in the prime of his career. And not only did he make plays consistently, he made them on an AWFUL defense. Think about what he can do in a good defense.

I mean if they don’t value that position, then why pay $7 million this season to franchise him? Why not trade him? This seems so simple to me. Pay the man the Weddle-type contract. He deserves it and the fans deserve to have a very good player back in the fold. You cant build a Championship team when you continue to let good players leave in the prime of their careers. I can understand not overpaying for Levitre, but paying Byrd $8 million/year is not overpaying him. He’ll provide great value for that contract.

IMHO...the major problem here is a complete and total lack of foresight from the front office. They wait until the end of the contract year to extend these guys. Byrd and Levitre should have been approached last year about signing long term extensions instead of letting their contracts run out. :shrug:

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bills GM Doug Whaley issued a statement after the team was unable to sign FS Jairus Byrd ahead of Monday's franchise-tag deadline.

"We worked very hard to come to a long-term agreement with Jairus, but unfortunately, were unable to reach one before today's deadline," Whaley said. "Our attention will now be focused on a one-year agreement with him and on training camp." Byrd is a candidate to hold out well into August. Because he has not signed any contract, Byrd would not be subject to daily in-camp fines. Jul 15 - 4:31 PM

Source: Buffalo News

Coming off a great year and about to turn 27, this is the best opportunity in his career to come away with that lifetime deal. If they don't come to terms, seeing as though Byrd most likely wouldn't resign with them next year, the Bills better try and get some value from him via draft pick(s) while his stock/value is high.