Sign in to follow this  
BucMad

Darrelle Revis Absent, but Prepping!

Cornerback Darrelle Revis, who arrived via that blockbuster trade with the Jets last month, won’t participate in OTA practices. He’ll instead continue to work with Tampa Bay rehab personnel, working to get his surgically-repaired left knee back to 100 percent. Considering how heavily the Bucs are expected to lean on Revis this season, his absence during off-season practices raises questions about how seamlessly he can be integrated with his new team. Essentially, the man who is expected to be the most vital member of the defense won’t join his teammates on the field until the first day of training camp, at the earliest.

For starters, the fact that Revis has been consistently in Tampa and at One Buc Place does more than simply give the medical staff daily access to him; it also provides coaches an opportunity to work with him frequently. That work, for now, will be confined to the meeting room, but when it comes to learning the principles of the Bucs’ defense, this can be invaluable.

Revis is one of the more cerebral players in the NFL, and he’ll gain plenty from those meetings with coaches. He’ll be as prepared as one can possibly be once he finally does make his on-field debut. The other thing that mitigates Revis’ missed time this offseason is the fact the Bucs are going to tailor much of their defensive tactics to his strengths. This, theoretically, will make integrating Revis into the defense easier.

Revis will often be solely responsible for an opponent's top receiver. While that’s no easy task, it’s not particularly sophisticated. He’s going to be locked in many one-on-one battles, something you would expect from an elite, shutdown cornerback. One thing is for sure the Bucs aren’t going to rush Revis back into action because A) he’s not ready and B) they aren’t going to take unnecessary risks given the huge investment.

But as you can see, that doesn’t mean Revis won’t be up to speed when his knee is ready for action.

We all saw this coming. I was happy to hear Revis has not left Tampa since the trade and has been working with the staff since. We shouldn't rush him back either, if he is not ready for week 1 that is fine.

It may raise some eyebrows but I think it's the best decision right now. Keep Revis behind close doors until he fully recovers. Now if he isn't ready for training camp, then Bucs fans should be worried.

Everyone was expecting this. Not a big deal. No need to rush him back on the field and risk another injury.

I'm glad everyone agrees! And yeah, I think most of us all expected this. I think its a great decision as well, be smart with the rehab. Better to miss a few preseason games and get up to speed...than to rush back and possibly be knocked out for the entire season.

It may raise some eyebrows but I think it's the best decision right now. Keep Revis behind close doors until he fully recovers. Now if he isn't ready for training camp, then Bucs fans should be worried.

It shouldn't raise any eyebrows. Players coming off injuries like that almost never participate in OTAs. Too much to lose to have him have a setback during an OTA practice.

Guarantee if this was the Jets it'd be a huge story...just saying.

It's obviously not a big deal though.

From latest reports,Dominik said he believed Revis would be ready for the first day of training camp in late July....and Schiano said Revis is progressing on the schedule monitored by Bucs trainer Todd Toriscelli. But he insisted Revis' target for return will be our first regular season game against the Jets.

I would rather hold him out of TC for a bit till we know he is 100%.

I trust our training staff (Todd Toriscelli) if and when they say he is ready, no matter when that may be.

I mean they've been amazing with Bowers and others. Won several awards and is recognized as one of the best, if not the best, training staffs in the league.

Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik told Scott Hanson on NFL Total Access that he is "fully confident" that CB Darrelle Revis (torn ACL) will be ready for the start of 2013.

"We're going to keep him at our pace, but the whole point is that he'll walk out to the first day of training camp, he'll have the pads on and he'll be ready hopefully for the Jets (in) Week 1. We're expecting that," said Dominik. Revis similarly told the media on Wednesday that he's confident he'll be ready for Week 1.

Source: Pewter Report