Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Nicks not protesting his contract

Per Rotoworld.com:

Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole reports Hakeem Nicks is unhappy with his contract, which is why he didn't show up to OTAs on Wednesday.

The Giants now have a double dose of financially unhappy receivers in Nicks and restricted free agent Victor Cruz. Coach Tom Coughlin was noticeably irritated that Nicks was a no-show for "voluntary" OTAs, saying that the receiver "should be here." With Cruz seeking $8-10 million annually on a long-term deal, Cole expects Nicks to seek "closer to the range" of $10 million per year and possibly more. Nicks is expected to show up to the facility sometime this week, and we really wouldn't expect a long-term contract worked out before training camp. May 22 - 9:12 PM

Source: Yahoo! Sports

Edited by BLUE

Ruh Roh. Is Nicks just playing this out leverage wise knowing the Giants don't want to pay Cruz? Love me some Hakeem, and this puts the Giants in a tough spot negotiation wise.

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo 5h

This is a correction to my report about Hakeem Nicks on Wed. I misunderstood my source. I apologize for the error: http://tinyurl.com/pl8euuw

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/25/4365878/nfc-east-notes-giants-wrs-in-revolt

NFC East notes: Giants WRs in revolt

The Giants are holding their OTAs without either of their starting WRs, who have both skipped practice looking for new contracts.

The typical quiet New York Giants have been experiencing a bit of drama this week as both their starting WRs have opted to skip the team's OTAs. The reason for both is the same... money.

That Victor Cruz is not present is no surprise given that he's currently not under contract. Cruz, who has played on a bargain basement undrafted rookie contract is a restricted free agent this year and was given a one year tender offer by the Giants valued at under $3 million a year. For a guy that's been an All Pro and Pro Bowler in his young career playing for peanuts, that's obviously a joke but it's a standard tender amount.

Reports are the that the team has a real offer on the table worth upwards of $7 million a year. The two sides have been talking, but despite reports that a deal was close nothing has happened.

More: Big Blue View reacts to Nicks, Cruz absences

One of the reasons some Giants fans have been talking themselves into being ok with the possibility that Cruz could be gone this year or next is the fact that team was also going to have to pay Hakeem Nicks next year. Suddenly, next year is right now.

Nicks was also a no show at the team's OTAs and is also looking for a new deal. However, unlike Cruz, he is under contract for this season. Despite that fact that Cruz has been the healthier and more productive player over the last two years, Nicks is expected to get the bigger deal.

For the Eagles, this will be very relevant next season when Jeremy Maclin is up for an extension. Maclin & Nicks were both first round picks in the same year and while at this point I think most would agree that Nicks is the overall more talented WR, the fact that he's been injury prone has really kept him from outproducing Maclin. Maclin actually has more career receptions, while Nicks has just one more career TD. Their numbers are remarkably similar. If Nicks is able to strong arm a contract out of the Giants this offseason, you can be sure Jeremy Maclin's agents will be looking for something similar.

If the Giants pay both their WRs this year, that will certainly set the market for a guy like Maclin next year.

As for the Giants, I would guess that they aren't going to pay both of these guys. They did recently spend a 2nd round pick on Rueben Randle, so they could very decide to rely on him and pay only one of Nicks or Cruz.

The Giants, who are already near the cap thanks in large part to enormous money they pay Eli Manning, will also have to pay Jason Pierre-Paul at some point in the next 2 seasons. So there's certainly some long term planning to take into account here. This is sort of the curse for being so good at drafting over that span. Eventually, all those good players want megabucks and in this flat cap NFL that gets tough.

Personally, if I were Victor Cruz, I'd take the deal the Giants have on the table now. He won't have Nnamdi Asomugha around to rack up such gaudy stats against twice a season anymore...

pMvXnim.gif

• Upvote 1

Well, Nicks needs to get through this season healthy to get his pay-day. When he is healthy, he is a damn good receiver, we all know that. But I would be hesitant to give $10 million per year to a guy that has durability concerns.

And he does need to be there if he wants to get paid top-dollar.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty confident in our front office taking care of business. Nicks' agent has also said his absence isn't contract-related.

Of course I'm biased, though. >_>

Being a Giants fan, this is very worrying. Hopefully both will be there for training camp

Hakeem Nicks arrives at New York Giants minicamp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210756/article/hakeem-nicks-arrives-at-new-york-giants-minicamp

The New York Giants now have one of their two top wide receivers in-house.

Hakeem Nicks reported Tuesday for the start of the team's mandatory three-day minicamp. Nicks had been in communication via text message with Eli Manning, who said Monday that he expected Nicks at minicamp. Nicks has yet to reveal why he chose to sit out organized team activities, though it's been reported that the wideout is looking for a new contract to replace his rookie deal, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.

Nicks said Tuesday he saw no reason why he wouldn't be at Giants training camp when it opens in late July, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reported.

Nicks' absence hasn't gone over well with Giants coach Tom Coughlin, who expected to have his wideout at voluntary workouts. Coughlin told reporters that Nicks gave no reason for missing workouts. Nicks' agent denied his client's absence is contract-related.

No, Nicks and Victor Cruz did not ride in on matching white horses. Cruz has yet to sign his franchise tender, so he is not contractually bound to attend the three-day minicamp.

Had Nicks remained absent, it would have cost him $66,150.

Giants fans can breathe now.