Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

NFL Closer To 18 Game Season?

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many games should we have in a season?

• Same pre-season, but more regular season games
    • Less pre-season, and more regular season games
    • 16 games is perfect, but pre-season needs to be changed
    • It's fine the way it is

http://espn.go.com/n...d-roger-goodell

Cutting two games off the preseason -- either by expanding the playoffs or moving to an 18-game schedule -- is still being discussed, commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL's spring owners meetings in Boston.

He said all "[options] are on the table."

"As I have said before, I think the structure of the season is something that we consistently reevaluate," he said. "I have been quite open about [indicating that] we have to address the quality of the preseason.

"I hear from fans consistently that they want to make every NFL event more valuable. They see the preseason as being less valuable to them because they don't see the best players and the games do not count," he said. "We have to address that, whether we are looking at 18 [regular-season games] and two [preseason games] or 16-and-two and expanded playoffs."

When asked about playoff expansion, Goodell said the NFL has asked the competition committee "to look at it." He said there was "a lot of discussion" on the topic and the league had a brief report at the March owners meetings, but talks on the topic didn't happen Tuesday.

"We are going to continue to have more dialogue with the players' association, which is a big part of that discussion, and the second is with broadcast partners," he said.

If the league expands the playoff field or moves to an 18-game regular season, the date of the Super Bowl might have to be shifted back.

Perhaps with that in mind, Goodell said the league is "holding multiple dates" for Super L, which was awarded Tuesday to San Francisco, and Super Bowl LI, awarded to Houston, in response to a question about what the anticipated dates were for those title games.

Edited by RANGA

Leave well enough alone, Roger. :shifty:

• Upvote 1

It's fine the way it is but I am afraid the cash cow known as the NFL will tinker with it. :yep:

I wouldn't change anything.

I want it to stay how it is now, but I'm not gonna say I'd complain if we got two more meaningful games. Durability becomes a concern then, but oh well I guess.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'd be happy about being able to watch more meaningful games, but I don't know how players would hold up on an 18 game schedule and then play in the playoffs for the teams that make it as well

• Upvote 2

Yes, leave everything as is...But Please NO MORE GAMES IN LONDON! ROGER! With the travel time, jet lag, and how it can possibly effect both teams for that game! This is why I'm not a fan of it. Lets just keep the NFL in the States where it belongs! :clap:

Edited by OakBlack
  • Upvote 1

I want it to stay how it is now, but I'm not gonna say I'd complain if we got two more meaningful games. Durability becomes a concern then, but oh well I guess.

Yeah, I'd be happy about being able to watch more meaningful games, but I don't know how players would hold up on an 18 game schedule and then play in the playoffs for the teams that make it as well

Yes, leave everything as is...But Please NO MORE GAMES IN LONDON! ROGER! With the travel time, jet lag, and how it can possibly effect both teams for that game! This is why I'm not a fan of it. Lets just keep the NFL in the States where they belong!

These 3 posts pretty much sum up my thoughts. :yep:

Epicness ^. And I am glad people actually know what this is about -- the money. I am surprised Roger hasn't come out and said adding more regular season games in the best interests of the players and their safety.

I definitely do NOT want 18 regular season games. The very best teams, if they run away with their seeds, will end up coasting for 2 or 3 games. Throw in a bye week and their sharpness in the postseason is going to be awful. And teams are going to be spent and tired. Those last games will end up featuring less good players and more scrubs. Driven by injury -- whether actual or potential. I certainly don't want to watch 2 'preseason type' games that actually count in the standings.

It's funny, that Goddell always says that fans don't want to watch meaningless games. But it's always framed around just adding 2 regular season games. It's as if he knows that fans just don't want 4 preseason games. Drop the home dates to 9 a year.

The playoffs already feature enough 8-8 talent. No need to go there (and yes, I admit the contradiction that Seattle made it at 7-9 -- but we did win the division). Honestly though, with an extra weekend (assuming 4 byes for all division winners) then you're going to see a bunch of 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 teams slogging it out in a 'who sucks the least' contest.

In addition, one of those division winners will not be hosting a playoff game. It assumes the top seeds play the w/c winners, and the 3rd/4th seed play each other. That's a lousy scenario.

The simple fact is, 18 games OR expanded playoffs means less meaningful games. The only REAL issue is fans don't want to pay full price for the 2 preseason home games. That's it.

Charge half price for the preseason and be done with it. Don't ruin the real product in order to cling desperately to your preseason profits.

ZTjNTS7.gif

Edited by dutchff7

I definitely do NOT want 18 regular season games. The very best teams, if they run away with their seeds, will end up coasting for 2 or 3 games. Throw in a bye week and their sharpness in the postseason is going to be awful. And teams are going to be spent and tired. Those last games will end up featuring less good players and more scrubs. Driven by injury -- whether actual or potential. I certainly don't want to watch 2 'preseason type' games that actually count in the standings.

It's funny, that Goddell always says that fans don't want to watch meaningless games. But it's always framed around just adding 2 regular season games. It's as if he knows that fans just don't want 4 preseason games. Drop the home dates to 9 a year.

The playoffs already feature enough 8-8 talent. No need to go there (and yes, I admit the contradiction that Seattle made it at 7-9 -- but we did win the division). Honestly though, with an extra weekend (assuming 4 byes for all division winners) then you're going to see a bunch of 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 teams slogging it out in a 'who sucks the least' contest.

In addition, one of those division winners will not be hosting a playoff game. It assumes the top seeds play the w/c winners, and the 3rd/4th seed play each other. That's a lousy scenario.

The simple fact is, 18 games OR expanded playoffs means less meaningful games. The only REAL issue is fans don't want to pay full price for the 2 preseason home games. That's it.

Charge half price for the preseason and be done with it. Don't ruin the real product in order to cling desperately to your preseason profits.

Well said! :clap: LEAVE. IT. ALONE. GOODELL.

Hawk's quickly already one of my favorite posters. Knowledgeable, logic driven guy. 100% agreed. Also I'll give a rare nod to NY Diehard. Who first brought up the point about the playoffs — more regular season games could dilute the quality of postseason play.