AllYouNeedIsLovie

Jamarcus Russell: Comeback?

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jamarcus Russell get another shot?

No.

Why invite the circus. You don't want your 3rd string project QB to be a negative impact on the team. There is a cost to even having him on the club.

No.

Why invite the circus. You don't want your 3rd string project QB to be a negative impact on the team. There is a cost to even having him on the club.

What circus? This is Jamarcus Russell not Tim Tebow. Sure the media would keep an eye on him but there would be no push to start him. I admit I treated this 'comeback' like a joke at first, but he really does seem determined to turn his life around so I say more power to him. He probably wont see a starting job anywhere but there would be no harm in taking flyer on him as a backup on a one year deal or something.Tthat way if he backslides into his old habits or proves to be a distraction in the locker room you could just cut him. No muss no fuss.

This isn't a player who was thrown out for violating any NFL rules or getting arrested. He just got fat and lazy. Yeah he's been a joke and constantly near the top of all time draft bust lists ever since he washed out, but honestly I can think of alot of players still in the league that deserve to be there less than he does. So I say if he's willing to work for it then let him have his shot.

Edited by Jayrus

This isn't a player who was thrown out for violating any NFL rules or getting arrested.

Didn't he get arrested for DUI...purple drank?

I don't know why people think him slimming down to 265 means anything. During his stint with the Raiders, his accuracy and anticipation were horrible. At no point did he show signs of becoming a good NFL quarterback. Does him losing 50 pounds all the sudden make him a capable QB from the neck up? Absolutely not. He's a locomotive with nobody behind the wheel.

I don't know why people think him slimming down to 265 means anything. During his stint with the Raiders, his accuracy and anticipation were horrible. At no point did he show signs of becoming a good NFL quarterback. Does him losing 50 pounds all the sudden make him a capable QB from the neck up? Absolutely not. He's a locomotive with nobody behind the wheel.

That's why he got drafted #1 overall right? Because he never showed he had potential as an NFL Quarterback? Russell has the ability. His failure with the Raiders was laziness and apathy. Nobody is saying he's going to be a starting QB anywhere, but if he cares enough to get himself back in to shape, and he still has anything of what made him a #1 overall draft pick left in him, then he could be at least a decent backup for someone.

The losing the 50 pounds says more about his dedication to improve his life and his game, something he didn't have when he first came into the league. Unfortunately, he had to crash and burn and hit rock bottom before he realized that he couldn't keep going the way he was going and succeed.

The losing the 50 pounds says more about his dedication to improve his life and his game, something he didn't have when he first came into the league. Unfortunately, he had to crash and burn and hit rock bottom before he realized that he couldn't keep going the way he was going and succeed.

While that does show his determination, that still doesn't mean he will get the mental aspect of being a QB down pact.

To be fair the Raiders deserve some blame. The end of the Al Davis era produced countless disappointments. A players first few years in the NFL, like infancy, have an exponential impact on a players career. Imagine the environment 10 years into one of the worst developmental program eras the NFL... proffessional sports have ever seen?

Picture someone sleeping in Belichicks meetings... or Tomlins.... or Harbaughs... or Harbaughs... you get it. As an immature young man he tested his boundaries and in a lot of ways the organization failed him.

If it were just him, and not one of 20+ other players under 26 to only play for OAK and then be run out of town elsewhere, I wouldn't blame OAK, I should add I grew up in the bay area. Tough being a Lions fan there. :) but the organization deserves some blame.

• Upvote 1

This isn't true, I saw several games that he played against denver where he looked very good

While that does show his determination, that still doesn't mean he will get the mental aspect of being a QB down pact.

It means he will at least put effort into learning them though, something he's likely never done in his life.

Should he get another shot? yes, will he? proably as a practice squad or 2nd 3rd stringer MAYBE.... it'd be deffinatly a great story but don't think it'll be an all time great happy ending, but again it'd be one hell of a story to see a young man go from First rounder to laughing stock to a starter in the NFL. And as theLionsfan said there has to be some blame on Oakland, theres a reason they haven't had a winning season since 2002... Managment, RIP Al Davis but what happend to Just win baby win???

Should he get another shot? yes, will he? proably as a practice squad or 2nd 3rd stringer MAYBE.... it'd be deffinatly a great story but don't think it'll be an all time great happy ending, but again it'd be one hell of a story to see a young man go from First rounder to laughing stock to a starter in the NFL. And as theLionsfan said there has to be some blame on Oakland, theres a reason they haven't had a winning season since 2002... Managment, RIP Al Davis but what happend to Just win baby win???

He would have to be on the roster, I believe he's been active too many games to be put on the practice squad.

He would have to be on the roster, I believe he's been active too many games to be put on the practice squad.

Aww didn't know there was a thing about that but alright, no practice squad? then it'll be alittle tougher to impress coaches for an organization but he could do it with a hell of alot of work.

Aww didn't know there was a thing about that but alright, no practice squad? then it'll be alittle tougher to impress coaches for an organization but he could do it with a hell of alot of work.

I'm surprised a team with a strong FO/coaching with a set, elite QB haven't brought him in like the saints, pats or Denver and then a team that needs so much help at QB like jax or the jets.

Pats should sign him to a practice squad/janitor deal. :smug:

Bears giving him a tryout...

Someone is finally willing to give JaMarcus Russell a chance.

According to Michael Wright of ESPNChicago.com, the Bears are going to give Russell a tryout Friday, bringing him in along with three other quarterbacks.

The report mentioned many other players were coming in, which makes it sound like the normal offseason emergency list-updating cattle call that many teams have.

But Russell’s place as one of the biggest busts in draft history will make this one unique.

There have been vague rumors of interest, but nothing prior to this to suggest anyone took his comeback seriously enough to buy him a plane ticket.

Bears coach Marc Trestman has enough of an outside-the-box approach that it shouldn’t come as a total surprise. Russell’s talent was unmistakable, but it wasn’t his football ability that kept him out of the league this long.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/bears-scheduled-to-work-out-jamarcus-russell/

Cutler shook.

In my estimation, the probability of Jawalrus getting on a NFL roster this upcoming season is slightly higher than that of Tim Tebow doing the same.

Free agent JaMarcus Russell weighed 267 pounds at his Bears workout Friday.

For points of reference, Russell measured 6-foot-5 1/2, 265 at the 2007 NFL Scouting Combine. He was supposedly 311 pounds when his comeback began. While ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Russell will not be signed by the Bears, the weigh-in at least confirms Russell is serious about his comeback attempt. Russell's trainer, Jeff Garcia, says JaMarcus is willing to take his talents to Canada if no NFL teams want to sign the 27-year-old.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Reports said he looked solid, but had rust with his timing and accuracy. Which is nothing new considering he has not played since 2010 and was working with a new group of wide outs. If we do sign him it probably wont be till training camp.

The Raiders have settled a grievance with free agent JaMarcus Russell over his rookie contract, reportedly agreeing to pay out $3 million.

The Raiders alleged after Russell's May 2010 release that he owed the team $9.55 million as part of a prior restructuring, but Russell quickly struck back with a counter-grievance, saying he was owed an additional $9 million. The sides had been set to go to court. Russell's "comeback" has been treading water after he worked out for the Bears early last month.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman saw free agent QB JaMarcus Russell at a hotel near LSU Saturday morning and said Russell "looked like an offensive tackle."

Russell has always been a big guy, but this suggests his attempt at a comeback is over. The 28-year-old trained hard last offseason in hopes of getting another chance in the NFL. A knee injury and constant weight issues quickly derailed that. The odds we see Russell play in the NFL again are as long as they get.

Disappointing. Hopefully he can get himself healthy and in shape and try it again next season.