DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

NBA Offseason thread

You kidding me? The Nets just got played for suckers. THREE first-rounders? Next year is going to be a very deep draft. If the Celtics suck enough they could even get Andrew Wiggins, who is probably the best pro prospect since KD. And they traded these future picks for guys who have MAYBE a couple of years left in the tank. This -might- pay out in the short term (lol not really unless Bron breaks a knee) but they've fucked themselves longterm.

This X infinity. The Nets got screwed, hardcore. Paul Pierce sucks now. KG can't play too many minutes a game or gets wore down. Jason Terry doesn't play defense and is useless unless his shot is falling. Brooks was at least a young asset. Keith Bogans is more than serviceable as a backup and spot starter. Ditching Humphries' and Wallace's contracts was excellent, but three first rounders for a small forward long past his prime and a PF who can't perform if he gets too many minutes? You kidding me?

The Nets just fucked themselves over, hardcore. Their team might be better for one season, but one season doesn't justify losing all those picks. It's not like they'll contend. They won't touch Miami or Indiana, and if Chicago gets healthy, they won't touch them, either.

Awful trade for the Nets.

Draft picks are meaningless to contending teams. The 2018 pick the Nets are giving could hurt, but other than that they gave up very little to improve now.

• Upvote 1

Draft picks are meaningless to contending teams. The 2018 pick the Nets are giving could hurt, but other than that they gave up very little to improve now.

That 2016 first could be a good one. They will have like 3 players under contract that year and a few of them will probably be worn down.

I'm not positive that they improved. There will still be 3 other teams that will be better than Brooklyn, maybe 4 if NYK can figure a thing or two out.

Brooklyn bench is looking bad right now, they still have the whole FA to improve it. But if I ranked the Eastern conference right now it would be

Heat, Pacers, Bulls, Nets and Knicks are pretty close at the moment.

Guest Phailadelphia

OKC and San Antonio would beg to differ. I understand they're small market teams and have no choice but to work the draft and do it well, but unless Mikhail Prokorov is willing to dish out the insane luxury tax multipliers that begin kicking in this year for every year that he owns this team, I don't see how the Nets are building any kind of sustainable financial model here. And if Prokorov wants to dish out that kind of $$ the more power to him. The dude apparently makes like $50 mil a day. Not even the Lakers, who have a billion dollar TV deal, are willing to dip into the luxury tax.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Considering it was a 2nd round pick, I do like what I've seen from Murray State PG Isaiah Canaan. I was hoping the Rockets could somehow trade Thomas Robinson so they could free up more cap space to go after Dwight...

Edited by FartWaffles

Prokorov has made it pretty clear that he wants to win a ship as soon as possible. Pushing the financial stuff aside (because it's clear he doesn't care about that either), the Nets definitely have a starting lineup that could challenge any in the East.

They can save KG and his health for the most part of the season because that's not where he's going to come in handy but even last year, the Celtics were significantly better on defense with KG on it, best in the league almost.

You throw in another guy who can space the floor and actually attract a defender out to him, something Wallace couldn't do. Gives more space, and Garnet can set screens with the best of them, and also set space with his jumper.

Not better then the Heat by any means, especially with the bench, but the offense didn't get any worse- possibly better, and the defense definitely gets better depending on how much KG has to offer left.

I don't fault Prokorov for only caring about winning right now because nothing is promised, and there's a long track record of teams that can attest to teams getting the better players on two sides of the deal usually winning the deal short term wise.

This X infinity. The Nets got screwed, hardcore. Paul Pierce sucks now. KG can't play too many minutes a game or gets wore down. Jason Terry doesn't play defense and is useless unless his shot is falling. Brooks was at least a young asset. Keith Bogans is more than serviceable as a backup and spot starter. Ditching Humphries' and Wallace's contracts was excellent, but three first rounders for a small forward long past his prime and a PF who can't perform if he gets too many minutes? You kidding me?

lol who gives a fuck about Jason Terry? Dude was a throw-in. Brooks was a horrible chucker, and Bogans is replaceable.

The Nets just fucked themselves over, hardcore. Their team might be better for one season, but one season doesn't justify losing all those picks. It's not like they'll contend. They won't touch Miami or Indiana, and if Chicago gets healthy, they won't touch them, either.

Awful trade for the Nets.

You're acting like this is the NFL where 1st rounders are extremely valuable. Each of the Nets' selections will be in the 25-30 range. Who cares? It's not uncommon for teams to sell those late 1st rounders for chump change lol.

Despite winning nearly 50 games last year, the Nets were boring and gutless. This transaction should change that. Better to throw away picks and try to legitimately compete for the next 2 years than be some chump ass fringe playoff team for the next 5 years, hold on to the picks and having your fingers crossed that you strike gold with those late 1st rounders.

BTW... Nets went through a heavy rebuild after they traded Kidd, RJ and VC. They stockpiled so many draft picks that I thought they'd have a good shot to be decent by 2010 or 2011. Guess what? .293 winning percentage in '10-'11 and .333 in '11-'12. Those draft picks are super valuable, though!

In the end, if it doesn't work out, tough shit. I've already experienced 12-70. Doesn't get much worse than that.

Draft picks are valuable if a FO knows how to draft, so I don't buy that.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Hardly... There's only so much actual talent in any given draft that pans out. The chances of you succeeding are slim even if you are a great drafting team.

• Upvote 1

Hardly... There's only so much actual talent in any given draft that pans out. The chances of you succeeding are slim even if you are a great drafting team.

Exactly. Draft classes have been consistently terrible as of late.

Exactly. Draft classes have been consistently terrible as of late.

Draft classes are only terrible because so damn many players come out WAY too early. Look how long it took Ed Davis to be worth his pick, and there's countless examples. Only a handful of players in a five year span were ready coming out as freshmen, whereas how many made the jump just because they could?

The Nets aren't the Spurs, they weren't going to draft some hidden gem studs in the late 20s lol. This trade gives them a better chance of winning something than holding on to them did. Even if they don't beat Miami, which they won't.

• Upvote 1

The Nets aren't the Spurs, they weren't going to draft some hidden gem studs in the late 20s lol. This trade gives them a better chance of winning something than holding on to them did. Even if they don't beat Miami, which they won't.

They won't beat the Pacers, either, and probably not the Bulls. Even the Knicks are in that discussion.

What good does a trade that makes you the 5th seed do?

Draft classes are only terrible because so damn many players come out WAY too early. Look how long it took Ed Davis to be worth his pick, and there's countless examples. Only a handful of players in a five year span were ready coming out as freshmen, whereas how many made the jump just because they could?

Well, that's obviously the biggest problem. But I don't blame the players, I blame the league. Have no clue why the NBA didn't implement a rule (during their last lockout) where prospects aren't eligible until after their junior year.

They won't beat the Pacers, either, and probably not the Bulls. Even the Knicks are in that discussion.

Not sure why you fawn over the Pacers so much lol. They're not that great. Nets actually swept their asses in the season series last season. And who knows about the Bulls... D-Rose has a vagina so they're a big question mark. And the Knicks fucking suck lol.

It gives them a better chance to beat those teams. :shrug:

Nets are desperate to do something now, they've been trying for years to hit someting big and this is about the best they'll do since they don't have cap space or trade assets. They weren't going to turn those picks into hidden studs so they are better off gambling on not just their play, but the intensity and championship experience KG and Pierce bring.

I've warmed to the KG/PP trade now. It's tough seeing Pierce go but it had to happen eventually. Hopefully by 2017 and 2018 the Nets suck.

If I'm the Celtics I'd trade Rondo now and go all in for a top 3 pick next year.

Not sure why you fawn over the Pacers so much lol. They're not that great. Nets actually swept their asses in the season series last season. And who knows about the Bulls... D-Rose has a vagina so they're a big question mark. And the Knicks fucking suck lol.

Pacers didn't have Granger and regular season success means nothing in the post season.

I'm a huge supporter of the Pacers because they play basketball the right way. They're tough, both mentally and physically. They're skilled. They play team ball, and best of all, they're composed on the court. Half of the Ts handed out to them in the Heat series weren't deserved. To me, they represent what basketball is, at its core.

And that is why they're great, why they'll always give the Heat hell. A team has to be absolutely fantastic in order to beat them in a series. They're built to win, and they get better by the year. Don't be surprised if they beat Miami next year. Is it likely? No. But it could definitely happen, and I don't think any of the remaining East teams are even close to Miami and Indiana.

• Downvote 1

The Pacers are good, but a little overrated based on their series with Miami. They just match up pretty well because of Hibbert and West. Good frontcourts will give the Heat problems. I don't feel they are far ahead of everyone else in the East for that 2nd spot. I don't think the Nets are the team to beat them, but they sure have a better chance of doing it with KG and Pierce than whoever they take in the late 20s of the 2014, 2016 and 2018 drafts.

• Upvote 1

NBA Legion ‏@MySportsLegion 37m

The Raptors and Clippers have held discussions about a possibly DeMar DeRozan for Eric Bledsoe trade.

Dunno why the Raptors want another PG, when they already have Lowry. DeRozan has been developing into a good player too.

NBA Legion ‏@MySportsLegion 2m

Mavericks and Knicks are talking to the Celtics about trading for Rajon Rondo.

Dallas doesn't really have any youth they could trade the C's, just picks and the Knicks a couple of decent younger players.