Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

QB David Fales: Notes

Josh Norris drops his thoughts on one of my favorite QB prospects flying a little under the radar (not entirely, but he's not always mentioned as one of the good QBs coming out next year.)

After taking a month to review the 2013 NFL Draft, it is already time to look ahead to the 2014 class. In fairness, I will do my best to focus on senior prospects for the next few months and move to juniors/redshirt sophomores when the time is right. I am only taking pre-season evaluation notes for now, focusing on where prospects win and where improvements can be made. Therefore, treat these posts like rough drafts and not final opinions.

CFB_Fales_300.jpg

David Fales

Rough Notes

There’s a good amount of variety in San Jose State’s offense from a passing standpoint. David Fales splits his time under center, in shotgun, and from the pistol. There are a couple of times where the play is designed for Fales to move the defense with his feet or as a running “threat,” whether it be the read option or rolling out, but usually the Spartans keep Fales in the space where he does his best work: the pocket.

Fales is going to be a bit ahead of the curve in terms of progressions and the variety of throws he is asked to make. In a multiple receiver offense, Fales consistently checks a variety of targets, whether they be on crossing routes, outside breaking patterns, vertical shots, or checkdowns. In today’s college football, some might think this offense is fairly vanilla, but the assortment of route concepts, combined with Fales’ efficiency, leads to success.

I’m a sucker for quarterbacks who have Fales’ kind of pocket movement. He is far from a running threat, but somewhat similarly to Tyler Wilson from last year’s class, Fales consistently shows the ability to dip his shoulder and step up in the pocket to evade pressure. He can also move laterally and keep his distance from pursuers. Once again, let me stress that Fales isn’t a runner, but he can absolutely buy himself time. Once at the top of the pocket, Fales continues to keep his eyes downfield and is even willing to test vertically after resetting.

Now, that is a long list of positives when considering Fales’ pocket presence, but most importantly is that the senior rarely gets antsy and almost never drops his eyes to look at the bodies moving in front of him. He trusts his protection. When forced off his spot, Fales continues his efficiency, hitting receivers on a string in stride. Ideal velocity isn’t there, but Fales’ placement is great, and he doesn’t mind drifting off his back foot to buy an extra tick of time in order to create separation.

There is going to be a long discussion about Fales’ “arm talent,” and more specifically his velocity. I am not a huge fan of the “arm talent” term and would rather break down specific areas where quarterbacks show promise and where they could improve, but I understand and accept the conventional meaning. As previously stated, Fales’ placement is great. He isn’t afraid to throw in windows between the numbers or on bucket throws to the outside shoulder along the sideline. As with any thrower, there are plays that show the contrary, but as a whole Fales is solid in this area. The quarterback’s arm strength will be debated, however. On numerous occasions, defensive backs attempted to undercut Fales’ throws at the catch point. A couple succeeded in deflecting the pass, but most times they resulted in completions. He certainly doesn’t have a cannon beyond 15 yards, but Fales picks and chooses his battles in that section of the field. This same argument was made in regards to Matt Barkley, but at this time I don’t think Fales is as limited in that department.

Let’s say Fales does have just enough velocity on downfield throws at the NFL level. If that is ultimately my evaluation, than I have no worries about his ability in that area since he appears to be a knowledgeable and heady player with great placement. That combination can overcome a borderline trait.

He won’t fit every system, but Fales can be incredibly efficient thanks to poise and presence, both in the pocket and when surveying defenses. Right now, I definitely believe he is a quarterback teams can win with, but the next question is if he can elevate the talent around him and bring the offense/team to the next level. I am not ready to give my thoughts on that just yet.

Where He Wins

Fales is a cerebral pocket mover, showing very little attention to bodies moving around him. He can be effective in tight spaces before taking a hit and has the footwork to bounce off of his back foot and create operational space if needed. Placement, touch, timing, and anticipation are all above average qualities. Those four skills can compensate for other deficiencies.

Areas Of Improvement

Velocity can be improved in some cases, but many times quarterbacks have already plateaued in that area by their final season of college football. It isn’t vital that Fales improves in this area, but it would be welcomed. If not, the San Jose State passer needs to show he can transcend his offense and elevate the skill of his supporting cast, which is easier said than done.

I really think Fales is in the same mold of a Tom Brady. Not to say he's going to be the next Brady of course, but their skill set and playing style is very similar, with Fales being a little more mobile, and maybe a tad weaker arm. Their movement in the pocket to avoid rush and buy time is uncanny, and they always keep their eye level up for open receivers. Keep an eye on this kid this upcoming season.

EDIT: source: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/43420/368/notes-on-qb-david-fales

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I think he is the best pure QB in this draft. But Bridgewater will probably go before him because of the upside and athletic ability.

His name is Fales.

Bust.

Not his biggest fan. Haven't seen much of him so take it with a grain of salt. I'm a sucker for big arms, and I'm not really a fan of his. But I was only made aware of him after seeing someone do a mock with him going ahead of Bridgewater.

But this is a good idea, about to this for other prospects. :p

When I was studying up on David Quessenberry, Fales definitely jumped out on the tape. Since I personally think that the Texans could be selecting a quarterback fairly early next year, I've done my due diligence studying Fales and I really like what I see. His best fit will be in a WCO. I'm excited to see what he can do in his senior year.

Fales versus BYU (which was a very good defense last year, probably the best non SEC defense, with FSU making a case too.)

Love this kid. Also, I have it in good confidence with my eval. and others I trust that his arm strength might just be a mechanics issue. As in he's throwing with just all arm as of now. Meaning he's not using his body to put more into throws, which will help his arm strength significantly.

@ 3:39 in the video on the TD pass he still whips in a back-shoulder fade to the boundary. Just all arm again, his shoulders and hips are open which means he's not even putting his body into the throw. A mechanical correction will raise his velocity and distance significantly.

Can't wait to see what he does this year and what strides he makes (hopefully.)

Good stuff on Fales. Great QB class next year. Going to be loaded. Fales not my favorite, but still a good prospect. And I think you may be on to something with his mechanics.

But I will take issue with your assessment of BYU's defense. Very good, but Stanford had the best non-SEC defense in college football last year ;).

• Upvote 1

San Jose State senior QB David Fales is "wowing everyone" at the Elite 11 quarterback camp, according to CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman.

Johnny Manziel and Tajh Boyd were among the onlookers impressed. Fales was "throwing strikes" and more than holding his own, per Feldman. Many have recently questioned Fales' velocity and downfield arm, but he compensates for the lack of ideal vertical ability with great pocket awareness and placement.

Fales is a decent QB, and I do see the comparison to Brady. He isn't the best QB in this class (both Bridgewater and Boyd are better overall players). However, he should work well on a run-first offence which wants to be able to pick-up consistent 1st downs when it turn s to the air. With that regard I do think that the Texans would be a sensible landing-spot for him come the draft. However, given the number of teams in need of a QB and the Texans expected draft position, they are likely going to have to trade-up north of 15th if they want to get him. With regards to his arm, the mechanics may well be the problem, although that may be easier to solve than lack of raw power, it still isn't an easy thing to fix. The offence will have to look to bring safeties in to stop the run in order to create space fo short outside routes.