Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Chargers fans wish ill will on Ryan Matthews

Ryan Mathews: Fans tweeted they hope I die of AIDS

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211930/article/ryan-mathews-fans-tweeted-they-hope-i-die-of-aids

Ryan Mathews has been a source of frustration for San Diego Chargers fans from the beginning of his underwhelming NFL career, but some have taken it too far.

Especially on Twitter.

"I've had people say they hope me and my mom get AIDS and die," Mathews told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego on Wednesday.

Vitriolic tweets are a new and unwelcome phenomena for the modern athlete, but Mathews would catch heat for his play in any era.

To be fair, he marched into a tough scenario in San Diego. Drafted 12th overall in 2010, Mathews was touted as the heir apparent to LaDainian Tomlinson, but durability and fumbling issues have shrunk those expectations.

"So far, what I've done right now, I've been just an average back," Mathews said. "I got a lot of people just frustrated with my performance in the last few years. They expected me to come in and do big things. And I expect myself to."

Mathews sports a solid 4.4 yards per carry average over 32 starts, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy enough to cement himself as an unquestioned starter. His three seasons have included a nasty sprained ankle and a twice-broken collarbone.

Still, general manager Tom Telesco said last month that he expects "big things" from Mathews, whom he labeled a "bellcow" back. Former Chargers coach Norv Turner lost patience with Mathews, but an offseason regime change has furnished the runner with another chance -- probably his last in San Diego.

And people talk about us Eagles fans...

• Upvote 1

Combine NFL fanhood and the internet and you will inevitably produce some morally bankrupt garbage of that nature. As if the kid has any control over whether or not he's injury prone.

I don't think Matthews is that bad of a back. I think he could be an extremely effective running back in the league if he could overcome two things. Injury and fumble-itis. He's shown everyone flashes of the talent that we all saw coming out of college.

Any time you put a bunch of sports fans on the internet, you're bound to come across ill will and wishful thinking. I don't think players can take those things to heart. One day someone will say they hope you and your family die of AIDs, then if you perform like a stud, they'll be saying how much they love you and have always supported you.

It is a very fine line imo. As any true fan you feel very strong emotion about your team. When they are winning the jubilation is incredible and can turn a whole week around. Same goes for losing, it is tough to deal with your team under achieving every year or stars looking like ass.

For me the hardest part is when they get credit for performing like shit. For example, Cam Cameron. I still get a guttural and indescribable feeling of loathing for that man. The overwhelming majority was because he was such dog shit that I could not fathom how some one would give him a job holding a clipboard...EVER. This was just compounded by the fact that analysts, coaches, and players would tout him as some sort of mastermind at everything other than fucking up an offense.

Now as to intertwining that to the internet. Not a fan. His kids might read it, or his wife, or mother, or father or someone who cares about him. Now I would not shy away from the label of being an asshole at times, however that is not being an asshole. That is far worse. I am aware that it happens, but really what kind of piece of shit do you have to be. Not to say I would not take the opportunity to tell him and Roger Goodell my thoughts about them, but what you have to say man to man should be exactly that. When you go on the internet his kids might not understand that people who say things like that for the world to see have nothing and say that because they need to feel important like their voice is being heard.

Then to wish ill will on someones family is pretty bad. As much as I cant stand Cam Cameron, he is a public figure and is subjecting himself to backlash. Wishing death on him though is certainly uncalled for. Now wishing he was barred from football I fully support. I would not though wish him, his wife, or any family members the ill will of death.

Yep, every fanbase has their idiots and the internet usually brings out the best of them.

Bingo.

I actually got on Geno Hayes via twitter a few years ago and he retweeted and responded to me, I was surprised lol. It was about the lockout though and he was being a dick lol.