Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Ryan Swope forced to retire

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Bruce Arians conceded after minicamp the Cardinals never anticipated sixth-round pick Ryan Swope's concussion issues to linger throughout OTAs.

Swope didn't take a single practice rep in the spring. "We were very, very, very surprised about it," Arians said. "I'm not sure what he can do, I'm not sure what the doctors are going to do at this point. I hope ... because the kid is a great talent, and it would be a shame. But having Austin Collie last year, go through this same thing, it's scary." Arians acknowledged that he is genuinely "worried" about Swope's medical situation. Swope may have to redshirt his first year. Jun 21 - 9:46 PM

Source: NFL.com

Edited by BLUE

Per Rotoworld.com:

Cardinals sixth-round WR Ryan Swope has been forced to retire due to lingering concussion symptoms.

Swope, the No. 174 overall pick, was a pleasant surprise at the Combine in February, running a 4.34 forty. But he suffered multiple concussions at Texas A&M, and he has never gotten over them. Swope is making the smart long-term health move, but it's a shame he never got to put the pads on in the NFL. Jul 25 - 7:06 PM

That sucks. I was really hoping the Bucs would draft him. Hopefully some day he can come back.

Yeah, sucks is right! Personally, I think he is doing the smart thing. He's got his whole life ahead of him and its good to see him making a sound, intelligent decision. Those concussions are some serious shit, not to be played around with. Wish him the best...

I liked him coming out of college and it's really sad to see a guy with a lot of potential end his career like this.

Was a solid prospect with quite a bit of potential.It's a shame he had to retire. Hopefully he did well enough in school to acquire a good job. Football will be just a memory for the kid.

Was really shocked when I heard. Really high on him coming out of T:A&M... thought he would be a perfect receiver for Manning. I'm glad he made the right decision for his health and future. Manning would've probably gotten him killed over the middle.

Retired ex-Cardinals WR Ryan Swope suffered a fifth concussion at OTAs when he "dove to make a catch and hit his head in the process."

Swope suffered four concussions at Texas A&M. Symptoms lingered from the fifth, and Swope hung up his cleats just as camp opened. Swope is leaving the door open for an eventual return, pursuing his college degree in 2013. In 2014, Swope plans to "evaluate his options." The Cards will keep his rights.

Source: Arizona Republic