KempBolt

Top 10 Safeties

More offseason discussion fodder. I'm lumping strong and free safeties together. Makes it more of a challenge to narrow it down to 10- feel no compulsion to do the same. As with all of these lists, my preference is to rank based upon my own projection, and not solely on past performance. If your favorite safety doesn't make the cut, not offense is intended. Doing it this way means only 10 out of 64 starters can make the cut and it will inevitably leave good players out.

1. Eric Weddle :Chargers: Weddle is my top ranked safety in large part because there is no facet of the game in which he does not excel. He's a top three safety in coverage, among the best at playing in the box, possesses great ball skills, is a sure tackler, an effective blitzer, has elite instincts, underrated athleticism, and impressive range. One might be able to make the case for another player being superior in any one of those areas, but no one is as consistently above average in all of them like #32. I try not to be a homer for my favorite team, but this is one I feel very strongly about.

2. Jairus Byrd :Bills: Were this list solely about coverage, Byrd would rate #1. Even as it stands, he's a close 2nd in my book. While not quite as effective in the box against the run (but certainly still good), Byrd is his own "no fly zone" in centerfield. 5 interceptions to 0 touchdowns allowed last season. Also a reliable tackler and can flash some aggression playing downhill. He may have been slightly overrated for a minute after that 10 pick rookie campaign, but he has quickly risen to that reputation and may even be underrated at this point.

3. Earl Thomas :Seahawks: By Early Thomas standards, 2012 was something of a down year. Luckily a down year for ET is a great year for almost anyone else- and he was still exactly what the Hawks needed him to be as centerfielder who holds the top on the zone. In coverage, Thomas is as good as anyone not named Byrd. And while he's not as good as some in the running game or as a tackler, that's not really an issue given his role in Seattle's defense. I fully expect a up-tick in play (from very good back to great) in 2013.

4. Dashon Goldson :Bucs: My only gripe with Goldson is consistency. While he's never bad, his play is less even from year to year than the four players ahead of him on this list- especially in coverage. But with that said, he still turned in a superb 2012 and finds himself in a talented revamped secondary in Tampa Bay. While some might argue that missing the 49ers' vaunted front 7 will affect his play, I can't downgrade him until I see that actually happen. As it stands now, he's established as one of the better well-rounded safeties in the game.

5. Devin McCourty :Patriots: McCourty played multiple positions last season, but I left him out of my CB rankings so I'm including him here. While he isn't anything more than OK in the running game, the Pats have needed him to be a mainstay in coverage and that is what he's delivered. I think his range is what impresses me most (right up there with being able to play both CB and S at a high level). And his ball skills are such that he doesn't allow QB's to get away with mistakes in his coverage.

6. T.J. Ward :Browns: Ward is one of the more underrated players in the league right now. While not very impressive statistically, there are few safeties who I think are more effective in the box. His aggression and sure tackling are big factors in an ascending Browns defense. And Ray Horton only figures to highlight his strengths even more. And he's not a one trick pony either, being strong in coverage, if not necessarily a big turnover machine. Holmgren's selection of Ward in the 2nd round raised eyebrows when it happened, but if he continues to improve as he has to date then it will turn out to be a bargain.

7. Reshad Jones :dolphins: Jones took major steps forward in 2012. He allowed only one touchdown and very few completions overall into his coverage. And when he was tackling effectively, his run defense was rock solid as well. But that leads to the one notable flaw in his game to this point- he still misses too many tackles. If he can play under control in 2013, while still maintaining his performance in other areas, he's going to be one of the league's best. This is definitely a projection pick, as he only has one good season to his name; but I like his chances.

8. Ryan Clark :Steelers: With Troy Polomalu sadly looking like he's reached the "Bob Sanders" phase of his career, it's Ryan Clark who really holds the secondary together in Pittsburgh. There is no overstating how important it is to have a leader in the secondary who really understands Dick Lebeau's defense. And he's one of the best free safeties around in terms of run defense. At his age, a drop off could well be looming, but I had to show him some love here as he's been one of the most underrated players around for a while and turned in a stellar 2012 season.

9. Harrison Smith :Vikings: I was a big fan of Harrison Smith's coming out of Notre Dame and could hardly be more impressed with what he did as a rookie. Several pundits erroneously predicted him to be an in-the-box thumper with limited coverage skills. His 2012 season flipped the script on that prognostication, as Smith was one of the best cover men in the league and a little suspect in the running game. He was probably just short of top 10 caliber in 2012, but I'm projecting some improvement in 2013 that I think will warrant this spot. Even modest gains on his rookie season would make him one of the league's best.

10. Michael Huff :Ravens: Huff was asked to play most of his snaps at outside corner in 2012, and slot corner in 2011. While he was decent at both of these spots (which is impressive in its own right), they clearly weren't his natural natural position. Back in 2010, the last time Huff was allowed to play his normal FS role, he was one of the best coverage men in the league. And while it's been two seasons since, I am betting that a return to that role (behind a vastly superior front 7) is going to allow him to regain prominence.

Notables:

- Eric Berry was flat out terrible in coverage in 2012. But some improvement down the stretch makes me think that he was possibly just still on his way back from injury. He's one to watch in 2013 who could force his way onto this list.

- Rahim Moore took big steps in 2012 and narrowly missed my rankings. Playoff gaffe aside, he excelled in coverage in 2012 despite over 600 snaps against the pass. More consistency and some better run support in 2013 would be enough to place him among the league's best in my view.

- Kam Chancellor missed my top 10 due to his sometimes suspect coverage. Still a quality player who I would add to the Chargers in a heartbeat, but perhaps a little overrated due to his association with the league's top secondary.

- The Falcons have a strong safety duo, but neither Decoud nor Moore are top 10 material in my opinion. Despite their interceptions (partially a function of Nolan's defensive scheme), the former misses far too many tackles and the latter allows too many yards.

- Reggie Nelson would have been #11 had I kept going. Really underrated player who excels in coverage and acquits himself well in the box when he's asked to play down.

- Major Wright started the season on fire, but faded down the stretch. There's no positive track record there to give him the benefit of the doubt by so I am going to wait to see what 2013 brings.

1. Eric Weddle

2. Jarius Byrd

3. Earl Thomas

4. Dashon Goldson

5. Reshad Jones

6. Kam Chancellor

7. TJ Ward

8. William Moore

9. Ryan Clark

10. Michael Huff

Two guys I am interested to see who did not make my list are Mark Barron and Harrison Smith. Smith outplayed Barron last season, and I was close to putting Smith on the list, but I didn't. Anyways, I am expecting Smith to continue to get better and I think Barron will be much better this year with a year under his belt and having some good guys back in the secondary to help him.

• Upvote 1

Major Wright is the guy I am going to be interested in this season. He legitimately looked like one of the best safeties in the game during the first half last year, and then regressed for no reason that I could figure out. I'm wondering whether it was the good play or that bad play that was the abberation. Or perhaps he's going to be one of those hot/cold players that never really achieve consistency.

In San Diego, I'm just crossing my fingers that Brandon Taylor or Marcus Gilchrist can prove capable starters next to Weddle. The SS position has been a revolving door on our team literally ever since we let Rodney Harrison go.

Edited by KempBolt

1. Eric Weddle

2. Earl Thomas

3. Jairus Byrd

4. Reshad Jones

5. Kam Chancellor

6. William Moore

7. Dashon Goldson

8. TJ Ward

9. Ryan Clark

10. Rahim Moore

Eh...

I'm not saying he can't improve, but Moore allowed 446 yards into his coverage in 2012. That was the 9th most yards allowed out of the league's 64 starters.

He had some issues with giving up big plays, but he's a strong safety, and outside of occasionally giving up the big plays, he was still impressive to me the whole season.

Come on guys, where is Haruki Nakamura? He is at least top-5.

• Downvote 1

rofl Than. Before I saw your post I had a feeling what it was about.

Just throwing my two cents in but Kam chancellor won me over when he BLEW UP Vernon Davis in that big time ass whooping they laid on SF. Looked like old school Steve Atwater out there. Chancellor is my guy

Edited by Crash

Just throwing my two cents in but Kam chancellor won me over when he BLEW UP Vernon Davis in that big time ass whooping they laid on SF. Looked like old school Steve Atwater out there. Chancellor is my guy

I think 15-20 years ago Chancellor would be considered one of the elite safeties in the NFL. But the league has changed and thus so has the importance of being able to cover. Kam isn't a slouch in that regard, but he doesn't really excel either IMO. So I have to leave him off. Good player though.

I think 15-20 years ago Chancellor would be considered one of the elite safeties in the NFL. But the league has changed and thus so has the importance of being able to cover. Kam isn't a slouch in that regard, but he doesn't really excel either IMO. So I have to leave him off. Good player though.

But you also have to consider that chancellor may be the best box safety in the league so even with average coverage skills I still would say hes top 10

But you also have to consider that chancellor may be the best box safety in the league so even with average coverage skills I still would say hes top 10

If I wasn't as high on Smith and Huff this season, then yeah he'd probably round out my top ten.

Can't wait to see Dwight Lowery and BasedCyprienGawd in action this year. Peep the sig ♥

I thought Cyprien should go before Reid AND Vaccaro. Jags got a good one there.

I thought Cyprien should go before Reid AND Vaccaro. Jags got a good one there.

I think down the road Cyprien shows himself to be better than those two. He is a bit more of a project which is probably why the other two were taken in front of him. Football skills wise though I would take Cyrpien over those two guys in a heart beat. Definitely would have been pretty excited to see the Broncos pick him but interested to see if Moore can have a break out year (more in the turnover category) this season.

I think down the road Cyprien shows himself to be better than those two. He is a bit more of a project which is probably why the other two were taken in front of him. Football skills wise though I would take Cyrpien over those two guys in a heart beat. Definitely would have been pretty excited to see the Broncos pick him but interested to see if Moore can have a break out year (more in the turnover category) this season.

I didn't see anything in his game that would lead me to believe he's more of a project that the other two. Actually, I think he's more NFL ready in terms of coverage than Vaccaro.

1.Eric Weddle :Chargers:

I remember the NFL Network guys yukking it up when Weddle got that huge contract a few years ago. Well best way to shut people up is play like Weddle does. Hands down, the best safety in the NFL when looking at coverage, tackling and run support. Weddle is a complete player who can thrive no matter the down or distance.

2.Jairus Byrd :Bills:

Few safeties had the all-around year that Byrd did in the Bills defense. He’s a triple threat as a cover man, run defender and ball hawk who can create turnovers in the secondary.

3.Earl Thomas :Seahawks:

Thomas is one of the better free safeties in the NFL today. While he lacks size, Thomas makes up for that with excellent vision, range and fluid ability in coverage.

4.Reshad Jones :dolphins:

Do yourself a favor and find some 2012 Miami Dolphins games online. Jones was a beast all season, showing up as a cover man and run defender. He’s one of the NFL’s best up-and-coming players.

5.T.J. Ward :Browns:

Ward makes his impact on the game in run support and in intimidating receivers over the middle. What he lacks in pure cover skills or speed, he makes up for with big hits and consistent presence against the run.

6.William Moore :Falcons:

Moore will frustrate you over the course of the season, he also makes up for poor plays with big plays under the spotlight. A well-rounded strong safety who brings value in his ability to create turnovers, Moore has incredible potential to move up the rankings in 2013 with another strong showing.

7.Dashon Goldson :49ers:

A Pro Bowl safety and a solid ball hawk. Goldson can create and force turnovers, plus his ability to limit yards after the catch in coverage. He’s always close by and can limit big plays in the open field. Not to mention Goldson will ring your bell, but he also misses tackles that look like sure things. Hasn’t been consistent there, but can bring the lumber and knock guys down and out.

8.Ryan Clark :Steelers:

His 2012 season ranked as one of the best we saw. Clark held opposing quarterbacks to a rating of 48.5 on the year while allowing just 19 catches on passes thrown his way. He is at his best when playing up against the run, something of a rarity for a free safety. His ability to plant and explode up the field and stop the run is one of his strengths. A solid, physical all-around free safety.

9.Reggie Nelson :Bengals:

A versatile safety who can play both free and strong positions, Nelson’s value is in his coverage ability. He doesn’t pack much punch in run support or as an open-field tackler, but his speed and shutdown ability are top-notch.

10.Kerry Rhodes :Cardinals:

Rhodes showed a ton of improvement in 2012 with a better supporting cast around him. He’s still an active, aggressive free safety who can close on the ball and make plays in the passing game.

• Upvote 2

I didn't see anything in his game that would lead me to believe he's more of a project that the other two. Actually, I think he's more NFL ready in terms of coverage than Vaccaro.

I guess to me I saw a guy that took a few more chances than these other two which in college can work and eventually can work in the pros as you mature in the game but rookie year I think his aggressiveness will hurt him a bit.

I know people hate this reasoning but level of competition that the other two went up against plays a little bit into it as well of how at least in my opinion they will do in their rookie year.

Rhodes had a very good season, but it's very strange to me that he hasn't signed anywhere yet. There has to be something weird up with him. I know he had issues with the Jets.

I guess to me I saw a guy that took a few more chances than these other two which in college can work and eventually can work in the pros as you mature in the game but rookie year I think his aggressiveness will hurt him a bit.

I know people hate this reasoning but level of competition that the other two went up against plays a little bit into it as well of how at least in my opinion they will do in their rookie year.

I don't totally discount level of competition, but I also don't let it cloud the matter of a guys' ability and skillset if that's what I see on tape. It's a matter of opinion (guessing, really) but I think Vaccaro's issues in coverage will hurt him more than Cyprien's aggression. Time will tell.

1. Eric Weddle

2. Jairus Byrd

3. Earl Thomas

4. Reshad Jones

5. TJ Ward

6. Dashon Goldson

7. Kam Chancellor

8. William Moore

9. Ryan Clark

10. Devin McCourty

1. Jairus Byrd :Bills: Give me the best cover guy that can help get turnovers for my ball club.

2. Eric Weddle :Chargers: Massively underrated in the medias eye. Great all around safety.

3. Earl Thomas :Seahawks:

4. Dashon Goldson :49ers:

5. Ed Reed: :Texans: I really don't care what people say about his decline. Yes he's slower and his athletic skills have diminished slightly but he still impacts games. He shifts in motion confusing QBs and Def coord showing one look and doing the complete opposite, presnap reads QBs don't know where he will end up, intimidation factor, still a threat as a ballhawk and a return guy. Reed has parts of his game that can't be shown by stats. From a mental aspect and instincts, he's the best by far in that regard. Just athletically, he can't perform at the elite level that he use to. His run defense/tackling is garbage but the mental part of his game still carries him and puts him in the discussion (in my opinion).

6. Reshad Jones :dolphins:

7. T.J Ward :Browns:

8. Ryan Clark :Steelers:

9. Troy Polamalu :Steelers: Yes, he's still on my list. He has been injured a lot lately but when he was on the field, I still saw a play maker. One more injury plagued year would take him off my list.

10. Kam Chancellor :Seahawks: Great tackling in the box safety but liable in coverage at times.

Honorable Mentions:

Devin McCourty: Mccourty was getting mauled at the corner position. When Belichick moved him to safety, he played quite well. Seems more of a natural fit but more snaps will tell the tale because he was good at corner when he first started too.

Harrison Smith: Had a great rookie campaign.

Reggie Nelson: Plays well and somewhat overlooked.

Stevie Brown: Pick magnet. Not all of them where great coverage picks but more of being in the right area at the right time. Verdict is out until next season.

To each their own, but I have a really hard time seeing the logic in ranking old, declining, injured players above the young, ascending talents who were already [arguably] better than the elder statesmen a year ago.

I mean, I guess one can theorize that Polomalu is the same guy since his issue has really just been the missed time, but Reed? He played normal snaps last season and he just wasn't that good.

• Upvote 1

To each their own, but I have a really hard time seeing the logic in ranking old, declining, injured players above the young, ascending talents who were already [arguably] better than the elder statesmen a year ago.

I mean, I guess one can theorize that Polomalu is the same guy since his issue has really just been the missed time, but Reed? He played normal snaps last season and he just wasn't that good.

I think both reed and polomalu are past their best years and are no longer top 10.

Edited by Crash