Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Dexter: Season 8

Anybody watch the premiere last night? Quite an ending...

I am going to deem this a SPOILER ZONE. If you haven't seen anything, I advise you not continue to read (not just my post, but the entire thread).

What Dexter has done for years now that few other series can is give us bone-chilling characters we really feel passionate about that isn't the main character. And in most cases, that character is the villain of the season. They have some of the best villains in TV history, IMO. And the show is written so incredibly well, you can't help but notice.

This season, that may not be the case (although obviously a lot remains to be seen). This doctor, she intrigues me a lot. I am going to go out on a fairly sturdy limb and say she coached Harry on how to deal with Dexter, his "dark passenger" and even went as far as to create the code for Harry to give to Dexter.

Even after one episode I am extremely excited because it feels like they are going to unwind Dexter from the very beginning. It's going to be thrilling.

Even after one episode I am extremely excited because it feels like they are going to unwind Dexter from the very beginning. It's going to be thrilling.

This sums it up for me. I think this season will be just fine without a strong antagonist; it's going to be all about the unraveling of Dexter Morgan, as you said.

Great opening episode. Usually it isn't until about halfway through the season that someone mentally disarms him with the knowledge of who he is. Now we get twice as long to see how he deals with it. I'm also very curious how Hannah plays out this year.

For a while there I really thought the good doctor would turn out to be behind all of the murders as some kind of sick experiment. Doesn't seem like that is the case, though. They almost made that "too obvious", and I went for it.

The twists though lately have been epic. Hannah is back, Dexter is taking on an apprentice.... And I tghink, and this is just speculation but.... I think the good doctor killed Harry. We'll see how it goes down.

Yeah, I've been rooting for Dexter to kill the doctor since she first showed up. Also, FUCK HANNAH. Such an AWFUL fucking character. She makes me rage, seriously.

The only problem with this season, outside of Hannah being on my screen, is that I've been able to predict everything thus far. Not the case with previous seasons.

I love this Dexter and Zach duo / chemistry. The Hannah / Deb stuff gets old... But I have finally decided this is my favorite show on TV -- for a little while longer. I struggle with this, BB, Mad Men, Game of Thrones... All amazing, but Dexter is above everything else.

And fuck me. The episode just ended. I hate life and this show is the worst thing ever.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Fuck this fucking show. Now Breaking Bad just has to kill Jesse and let Walt win life and Kevin Durant and Ben Roethlisberger have to suffer career ending injuries and I'll just never turn on a television again.

• Upvote 1

Lmao. Tell us how you really feel, Zack.

Yeah I'm with Zack on this one. I just really don't like where Dexter is going right now...

1. Dexter and his developing of "feelings" is really hard to watch.

2. There just simply isn't enough Dexter killing people anymore.

3. The show is starting to get more of a soap opera feeling to it.

This die-hard Dexter fan is ready to get these last three episodes over with for closure, and that's it.

• Upvote 1

It's like they decided to shit on us with this last season completely. And somewhat last season. The writers have either changed at some point or they've lost their talent, my god.

One of the worst episodes in the series was the episode where Dexter went to Kearney, Nebraska to kill Trinity's son. Kearney's where I'm from and...lol. Kearney is a college town of about 35k people. Brian and Trinity Jr. did not need to be reintroduced, even for an episode. I would say around that time is when the show started to suck in spurts.

-The Brain Surgeon is a fucking lameass villain. He's not interesting or badass at all.

-The doctor storyline was borderline deus ex machina. Like, what the fuck. Also, she's a dumb character and I dislike her greatly.

-Like FartWaffles said, Dexter needs to fucking murk some people. What the hell is this show about, anyway? A bunch of lame drama? Soap opera indeed.

-Hannah is the worst character in this show, ever. Why they insist on forcing her down our throats is beyond me. Probably so The Brain Surgeon can kill her and piss Dexter off or something.

-Dexter should not have romances.

-Deb's character is worthless. She's been annoying through the entire show and this last season has just been over the top and awful. Her character in the book series is infinitely better and actually likeable.

-Harrison can talk now! He's what, about to graduate now and he's no longer mute? Too bad they have made it clear that they have NO IDEA how to write for a child. His lines are moronic and cheese-filled.

-Did I mention that they've wasted SO MUCH SHOW on drama?

-The ONE redeeming quality about this season was the understudy plot with Zach, who was actually likeable, but they decided to scrap that shit. It's inconceivable, really, how they could be so stupid.

I agree again, FartWaffles. I'm just waiting for this shit to be finished.

I loved the plot line with Zach. Wish it was focused around that, honestly. Think about the epicness of Dexter taking on an apprentice and tracking down villains and teaching him the code and all that jazz through the final season. Would have been SO AWESOME.

I liked Dr. Vogel's character at first as well, but it's worn off somewhat. I don't mind the whole Dexter having feelings thing, but it does make the show seem very lost.

I don't think the writing has really gotten that much worse in aspects of the dialogue and cliffhangers... But it has gotten bad in the way that I think they have just run out of ideas. They are throwing so many different things at us right now, I am not sure how they are going to wrap up the season (and the series) but it is NOT looking good.

You guys kind of hit on it with the "needs more killing" comments, but to take that a step further... What was one thing that gave me epic goosebumps watching this show? Those dark, sick, and twisted moments where Dexter is in his kill room with a criminal on his table as he delivers an EPIC monologue. Those moments, I miss so very dearly.

Those moments and those monologues DEFINED Dexter and the show...

How could they screw this up so badly....

It's sad that we have two episodes left and there still isn't really a solution in site other than Dexter just moving away. How fucking bogus... lmao.

Also, they are going to have a brand new character who they haven't developed at all bring him down? Even more bogus.

Oh what I wish they would have done with this season...

• Upvote 1

Oh what I wish they would have done with this season...

So much potential, and it's as if the writers got lazy.

I think/hope that the ending has to be something crazy good, because that's the only viable excuse I can think of for the terrible writing for the rest of the season. They probably put all of their emphasis on how to end the show, yet they didn't think/care to properly build up to it.

All these episodes have felt like nothing but filler to me...

• Upvote 1

Welp that was underwhelming...

1. Deb's bullet wound causes her to become a vegetable.

2. Dexter kills Vogel's son.

3. Dexter essentially kills Deb by taking her off life support. No one will ever know what happened to Deb since Dexter dropped her in the ocean.

4. Dexter "kills" himself driving into the storm.

5. Hannah is left with Harrison thinking Dexter is dead.

6. Dexter becomes a mountain man and will apparently continue his serial killer ways alone.

:nope: :nope: :nope:

Edited by FartWaffles

Ya.... I don't really get it. Although I suppose it could be worse.

I hated most of the last two episodes and I hated how grandiose the hurricane part was, but I did like the ending. It makes sense for Dexter to end up in what I assume was Alaska. It's cold and solitary, secluded and detached, the way he was meant to be to be an efficient killer.

I was surprised he didn't cry when Deb died, actually. Which leads me to another point.. They spent all of this team... multiple seasons worth... Trying to humanize the character and psychopath that is Dexter. They wanted us to feel the human emotions he was beginning to experience and that is a huge reason why I defended the writers when they began moving away from what drew me and probably most people into Dexter... the killing.

And the ending just kind of went full circle. After all this time developing his human emotions, I just can not be fine with him realizing he can't be that way and just goes back to his normal self we saw in Episode 1 of the series. I don't get it... I mean I do.. But I don't like it.

The show could VERY EASILY start up again with a new season and still be awesome.. They won't, but with this ending... we are right back at square one. It's like the audience has been running on a treadmill this entire time -- running really fast but getting nowhere.

I also don't like how they had to show us LumberDex. Have him ride off into the storm and that be that... Maybe he is alive, maybe he isn't. Would have been so much better.

I really wish they would have hired me on as a writer for this final season... Such an overall disappointment to what was once an amazing show.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I actually came to clarify a few things. I like the ending in principle, but it makes zero sense. Like you said, they spent forever breaking Dexter down into a shell of himself, even going so far as to have him decide that he didn't need or want to kill Saxon, then decide to have him flip completely around and just ditch Hannah and his son to go off and kill people alone. wtf.

I did like seeing him at the end, though. Seeing him walk in and sit down and look at the camera was a fitting way to end the series, imo. I just wish that the two seasons leading up to that ending had been done completely different.

EDIT:

Alright, so here's what the producers had to say about it. Apparently Dexter wasn't going off to go kill people, but to be in exile and punish himself for killing Deb. There's quite a bit of interesting notes in here. Definitely worth a read.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexter-interview-series-finale/

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Whaaat... LumberDex isn't even killing people? I mean it makes sense..... Imagine LumberDex sitting at that table and the very last scene is Harry walking up behind him and putting his hand on Dexter's shoulder.

OMG. Would have been so epic. The Dark Passenger is BACK!

But ya, that does make sense, being that we didn't see Harry at the end. I don't like it, but those are dots I didn't connect at first.

Edited by Favre4Ever