Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Chance Warmack officially a holdout at Titans camp

Per Rotoworld.com:

No. 10 overall pick Chance Warmack officially became a holdout Thursday as he missed the first day of Titans camp.

There's really no excuse for holdouts anymore under the NFL's new rookie wage scale, but the Titans are insisting on offset language in Warmack's rookie contract. Warmack's camp is balking. "Hopefully, that'll be tomorrow and Chance will be here by the weekend," said coach Mike Munchak. We shall see. Jul 25 - 9:21 PM

Source: TitanInsider

this is a fucking stupid holdout, on both sides, the issue is offset language, which involves how much we have to pay Warmack if we release him before the end of his contract, if we get the language in then the amount of his guaranteed money that we have to pay would be reduced based on how much he gets from another team, if we don't get the language in then we're on the hook for all of the guaranteed money

so really, it's no issue at all unless we cut him before the end of his contract, which you really don't expect from a top ten pick

this is a fucking stupid holdout, on both sides, the issue is offset language, which involves how much we have to pay Warmack if we release him before the end of his contract, if we get the language in then the amount of his guaranteed money that we have to pay would be reduced based on how much he gets from another team, if we don't get the language in then we're on the hook for all of the guaranteed money

so really, it's no issue at all unless we cut him before the end of his contract, which you really don't expect from a top ten pick

Or a guard for that matter.

Regarding Munchak, this blurb from an article by Peter King made me spit out my water:

Munchak spent 48 hours preparing for the (Titans) interview. […] Some assistants have nice, glossy presentations prepared when they interview for a job. Munchak had nothing. “I’m not a networker,” he said. “So when it came time for one of the important parts of the interview, identifying which coaches I’d try to hire on my staff, I didn’t really know a lot of them.”

“Shocking,” said (GM Mike) Reinfeldt. “He had an answer for everything. And some great ideas. We had no idea that was coming.” Not just the Paterno-spawned ideas either. Sports jackets on road trips. No hats in the building. No headphones while working out; talking and communicating was preferred. No TVs in the trainer’s room; don’t want it to be too comfortable in there. A 12-minute video presentation on the history of the Oilers going back to the old American Football League days “because you should always know where you came from,” Munchak said.

source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/21/preseason.week2/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's pretty ridiculous honestly. A hat ban? Guys can't listen to music to work out? Reminds me of Mike Mularkey last year, fining players if their helmets weren't lined up straight during practice or they didn't stand in a straight line for the national anthem. Useless discipline measures, that treat players like kids instead of men. Not to mention Munchak showed up to the interview with nothing but these ideas and no idea who or what he wanted from assistant coaches. Wow.

Titans still waiting on Warmack

July 26th, 2013 | by JIM WYATT, The Tennessean

The bad news for the Titans is they still don't have first-round pick Chance Warmack under contract. The former Alabama guard and projected starter missed practice on Friday night.

The good news, according to coach Mike Munchak, is Warmack will be able to dive right in when he eventually signs.

A year ago, players who reported to camp late had to wait two days before they were allowed to practice with the team. Munchak said there are no restrictions in the current CBA.

"We hope it's done this weekend and we can get this thing rolling," Munchak said.

Warmack, the 10th overall pick, is one of just three first-rounders still unsigned.

Source: The Tennessean | Titans Insider

Or a guard for that matter.

Regarding Munchak, this blurb from an article by Peter King made me spit out my water:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's pretty ridiculous honestly. A hat ban? Guys can't listen to music to work out? Reminds me of Mike Mularkey last year, fining players if their helmets weren't lined up straight during practice or they didn't stand in a straight line for the national anthem. Useless discipline measures, that treat players like kids instead of men. Not to mention Munchak showed up to the interview with nothing but these ideas and no idea who or what he wanted from assistant coaches. Wow.

I agree with all but the bold. They SHOULD do that imo. Fineable meh, I would, but I am of course biased. The rest of that shit though is pretty crazy imo.

Whats the point in holding out? Aren't all contracts based on scale now?

Whats the point in holding out? Aren't all contracts based on scale now?

He already said it in one of his posts, it's about "off set language." In other words, guaranteed money and the language has to do with if they cut the player early, they can recoup some money, or something of that sort.

The Titans never sign their first round picks until a couple days in to training camp. Not gonna worry about it.

NASHVILLE, Tenn -- The Tennessee Titans have agreed to terms on a contract with first-round pick (10th overall) G Chance Warmack.

Warmack was a three-year starter at the University of Alabama. He started 45 games during his college career and earned All-America honors as senior. During his college career, the Crimson Tide won three national titles.

With Monday being an off day for the players, Warmack will rejoin his teammates Tuesday.

Source: Titans Agree to Terms with Chance Warmack

I'm not sure which way they ended up going with the offset language, but I don't really care either, glad he'll be in camp and I think he's still got plenty of time to develop chemistry with the rest of the oline and the other interior olinemen can now focus on the competition for the center spot

EDIT: I just read in the Tennessean that the contract does include offset language, so I guess you could say that technically the Titans 'won' this, but IMO the fact that that argument kept him out of camp for five days means everyone loses

Edited by oochymp

I'm just glad to see that he wanted to be with the team more than belabor a point that seems to be more about principal than reality. Now the deal is done, we can get to work with our offensive line in time for them to gel before the season starts.