Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Power Wankings

Yes the misspelling was intentional. There comes a time in every young season where we declare paper tigers champions, condemn teams with too many injured starters and pray for dark horses to buck their franchises losing trends. However, I am here to tell that there are only two absolutes in the NFL. Flukes regress to the mean, and the Ravens are not flukes. Join me as I rank the teams from least likely to win the super bowl, to the most likely.

Not a chance in hell (32-25):

32. Oakland Raiders (16th in the AFC, 2-14)

31. New York Jets (15th in the AFC, 4-12)

30. Tennessee Titans (11th in the AFC 6-10)

29. Jacksonville Jags (14th in the AFC 4-12)

28. Buffalo Bills (13th in the AFC 5-11)

27. Miami Dolphins (10th in the AFC 6-10)

26. Carolina Panthers (14th in the NFC 6-10)

25. Cleveland Browns (12th in the AFC 5-11)

Slim chance, but reasons for optimism (24-19):

24. San Diego Chargers (9th in the AFC 6-10)

23. Washington Redskins (16th in the NFC 5-11)

22. Chicago Bears (15th in the NFC 6-10)

21. Philadelphia Eagles (13th in the NFC 7-9)

20. Kansas City Chiefs (8th in the AFC 7-9)

19. Arizona Cardinals (12th in the NFC 7-9)

Deep Sleepers (18-15):

18. Tampa Bay Bucs (11th in the NFC 7-9)

17. Indianapolis Colts (7th in the AFC 8-8)

16. Minnesota Vikings (10th in the NFC 8-8)

15. St. Louis Rams (9th in the NFC 8-8)

They could be giants (14-10):

14. New Orleans Saints (7th* in the NFC 10-6)

13. Houston Texans (4th in the AFC 10-6)

12. New York Giants (8th in the NFC 9-7)

11. Detroit Lions (6th in the NFC 10-6)

10. Dallas Cowboys (4th* in the NFC 9-7)

Playoff Mainstays (9-5):

9. Denver Broncos (3rd in the AFC 10-6)

8. Cincinnati Bengals (2nd in the AFC 11-5)

7. Green Bay Packers (3rd in the NFC 12-4)

6. Pittsburgh Steelers (6th in the AFC 10-6)

5. Atlanta Falcons (2nd in the NFC 13-3)

The ones who have a real shot (4-1):

4. San Francisco 49ers (5th in the NFC 12-4)

3. New England Patriots (1st in the AFC 12-4)

2. Baltimore Ravens (5th in the AFC 10-6)

1. Seattle Seahawks (1st in the NFC 13-3)

Playoffs

Wild Card

Pittsburgh Over Denver

Baltimore Over Houston

Divisional Round

Baltimore Over Cincinnati

New England Over Pittsburgh

Conference Championship

Baltimore over New England

NFC

Wild Card Round

Green Bay Over Detroit

San Fran Over Dallas

Divisional Round

Atlanta over Green Bay

Seattle over San Fran

Conference Championship

Seattle over Atlanta

Superb Owl

Seattle over Baltimore

Edited by RazorStar
  • Upvote 1

32. Oakland Raiders

The QB is a mess, the running game is a mess, the receivers are a mess, the offensive line is a fucking disaster, Alex Barron could be starting with Khalif Barnes. Let that sink in. That is disgusting. They used their first round pick on a massive injury concern, and outside of maybe two players on that defense, it's a bunch of guys who really should not be seeing the field for an extended period of time. At least they have Sea Bass. The race for Jadaveon Clowney has already begun, and the Raiders are frontrunners.

31. New York Jets

Rex Ryan's era was so promising, but anyone who watched the Jets trade up and reach for Sanchez realized that it was going to end something like this. The defense will be alright, but the offense is shaping up for a season that would make Jimmy Clausen wince. This is the end, unless Matt Simms can somehow become his father, and Quinton Coples turns into Lawrence Taylor. Oh right, Coples is hurt isn't he? Also hurts that your best player took his talent to... not quite south beach.

30. Tennessee Titans

The Titans had a lot of holes to plug last year, an offense with a propensity for drops, a running game with a propensity for gong backwards, a defense that missed tackles and a QB with a propensity for missing his throws. I think there is potential for major steps in these categories, the QB is hitting his crucial third year (took Stafford and Bradford that long to become somewhat decent) and the offensive line is revamped with a big free agent signing and first round pick filling the holes. It's up to Locker to make the Titans better than this, but I hold the same doubt in him that I do for a lot of young QB's.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars

I really like the steps they've taken so far. However they have to do a lot more to get out of the hole the former management put this team in. Cecil Shorts, Eugene Monroe and MJD are about the only holdovers who are worth something, but there a lot of young reclamation projects on this team who need to prove they have the salt to be on this Bradley led team. The rookie class is projecting a lot of starters which could lead to something like the Colts sudden resurgence last year, or it could burn out like a lot of young teams do. Also, Blaine Gabbert, yuck. Gabbert is in the crucial third year, but just like Locker he has a lot to prove if the Jags hope to go anywhere.

28. Buffalo Bills

There are some reasons to be confident about this team, but it's almost exclusively because of their defense. Now that's not a bad problem to have, but of course it's the QB which causes the greatest concern. For the first time in 70 years (I think it's 70), a team is starting an undrafted rookie free agent QB to start the season. Deep down I'm hoping Jeff Tuel becomes a great starter and starts a new era of Buffalo being decent, but that is a lot to ask for. The last time the Bills made the playoffs, the music city miracle was still fresh in our minds. The curse of Doug Flutie may just need this undrafted juggernaut to lift the curse. Or he could just be awful, like Ryan Lindley was, or Max Hall, or countless other flameouts. As long as the most important position remains in flux, it won't matter how well studs like Kyle Williams, CJ Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Jairus Byrd and up and comer Stephon Gilmore do.

27. Miami Dolphins

This was my preseason darkhorse team. Then I watched them play in the preseason and I puked in my hat. I need a new dark horse. The chemistry just doesn't seem to be there. And while Cameron Wake is basically jesus, even he can't resurrect the offense. Johnathan Martin is looking a cardboard cutout the way he gets driven off the line by absolutely everyone. The first round pick doesn't look like he's gonna play a big role, and they spent a lot of money just to get worse at linebacker, signing some of Baltimore's trash for a crap ton of money. I'm just not feeling as hot on them as I was earlier in the year. the cash just isn't translating to success.

26. Carolina Panthers

Now this one may sound weird. I think the Panthers are well positioned to do some damage. They're competitive in their division, the schedule has some easy games (as you can see, I have three AFC East teams on this list already, look who they play this year...) and they improved their defensive line, a key step to making a competitive team. However, I can't trust them in close games. They haven't shown they can close out teams, and when you're facing great QB's with great weapons no lead is insurmountable. Part of the reason why the Panthers are so bad bad in close games is poor situational coaching, and I think that could sink this team. It's always something with these guys.

25. Cleveland Browns

420, smoke weeden erryday. So what's holding the Browns back? Three brutal teams on their schedule and one of the worst seasons by a rookie QB in a long while. Though to admit, that's partially because the week 1 game against the Eagles was almost impossibly bad. The Browns suffer from this syndrome where they improve bit by bit, and when they get close to breaking the threshold, they tear up the front office and start all over again. New coaches, new defense... still looking like 5-6 losses in this division to me. Fantasy gurus keep saying to get hyped on Trent Richardson, but he's gonna need to be a lot more than the mediocrity he was last year to help this offense compete against these oppressive defenses he faces week in and week out.

24. San Diego Chargers

So the Chargers just barely make it onto the next tier. Why is this? Potential mostly. Rivers was a really good quarterback just a few years ago and you have to think a MVP type of player could return to form. the offensive line is improved with the additions of Chad Rinehart and DJ Fluker, but unfortunately Jeromey Clary still has a job and that is likely to be the Chargers undoing. Aside from that, I really like what their front seven has to offer, Liuget, Butler and Kendall Reyes are all coming into their own as talented defenders. However injuries are starting to take their toll, first round pass rusher is out for the year, a couple of talented WR's are out with bad knees, but there is hope. The AFC West is not a super tough division to steal wins in.

23. Washington Redskins

Surprise, surprise? All good things must come to an end, and I think that time is coming. This is where the RG3 trade works hard to bite the Skins in the ass. They don't have the money to go out and restock on free agents since Goodell put a vicegrip to them, and hey have a real tough go of trying to reload in the draft, so they really need their young late round picks to pan out. Griffin being on the road to recovery is a rough go, but even tougher than that is the fact that Kirk Cousins got hurt this preseason. If they're ever in a situation where Rex Grossman is the only choice and he's behind an offensive line starting Tyler Polumbus.... fuck it I'm going deep is not going to work out. The defense is a myriad of holes, getting back Orakpo is good news but there are a lot of weaknesses to pick on, especially that secondary. Expect the Redskins to fall this year. Although... despite all of the flaws, RG3 is insane and could make all of this irrelevant. That is why they're here, and not in the Brown town tier.

Edited by RazorStar

See, I disagree about the Redskins. I think they could easily win the NFC East if things come together for them, and if RG3 stays healthy, of course.

Oh they could, but Razor's spot on. They are a trend. I'm surprised he doesn't have Minnesota down here, too, but Razor always seems to have a grasp on how good the Vikings are.

IDT the Jets will be that bad. They are still a bottom half team, but Rex is still a pretty great coach of especially defense, despite his deficiencies in the more finite coaching aspects. They'll still have a good defensive unit at the least imo.

I'd put them as a 7ish win team.

• Upvote 1

IDT the Jets will be that bad. They are still a bottom half team, but Rex is still a pretty great coach of especially defense, despite his deficiencies in the more finite coaching aspects. They'll still have a good defensive unit at the least imo.

I'd put them as a 7ish win team.

Theyre the only team in the NFL yet to name a starter for opening day. Had Sanchez been named the starter I gave them a shot at 6-10. If Geno Smith starts 16 games for this team, Id be suprised if they won 4. From 7 AM to 5PM I listen to sports radio at work, and from Boomer and Carton in the AM to Francessa at night, all they talk about is the Jets.

Ive seen all their pre season games here in NY, as well as last years games. With Santonio Holmes refusing to play unless HE feels 100%, despite the doctors clearing him, their "third string QB" Matt Simms out performing BOTH potential starters, and still being on the roster bubble, and 2/5 of the OL being starting caliber in this league this offense is almost a stone cold lock to be far and away the worst in the league. Think about it, outside of Holmes who isnt playing for a while, there is not a SINGLE player on this offense that is a serious weapon. Jeremy Kerley? Stephen Hill? Bilal Powell? Jeff Cumberland? I suppose some of you could make an arguement for Chris Ivory, but he's always hurt and this OL is dreadful. Even the most basic and mediocre defenses are going to look like the 85' Bears.

I agree their defense will be decent, but everyone expects it to be a typical Jets defense, and thats just not the case. Rex Ryans defense was literally BUILT around one player, Darelle Revis. In 2009 and 10' when they went to back to back AFCCG they were #1 and #6 defense in the NFL in points against. In 2011 when Revis had his mini holdout and played a lot of the year banged up, and 2012 when he went down in week 3 they were 20th. Their D should be above average, but this isnt the 2000 Ravens...This is an above average Defense and arguably the worst NFL offense in quite some time.

Jeremy Kerley is part way decent though, but he's basically the lone bright spot in that group of backs and receivers. Like he's not a world beater, but as a solid slot receiver you could do worse. Problem is he's the best option on the team... ouch.

22. Chicago Bears

I want to like Chicago, I really do, but I just can't. It's because the same excuses we make year after year for these guys still hold true. The defense is getting old, the offensive line is a piece of crap, Matt Forte isn't getting enough touches. I like Marc Trestman a lot as a coach, but there is room for doubt because he's been out of the NFL for so long. Jay Cutler has never taken that next step to becoming a significant franchise QB. Well, my vocabulary is a bit lacking at this point, but basically he's not a guy where you can feel comfortable saying yeah I'll ride him to a super bowl. You can surround him with the pieces but he'll never get you that ring. There is a lot holding Chicago back, and I think we could see them break in a big way this year. That division is a hard slate of games, and the AFC North isn't fun either.

21. Philadelphia Eagles

Another new coach in a new place, Chip Kelly does have a good group of talented players to work with. Injuries and poor QB play derailed the Eagles last season, along with awful situational football. While Chip won't be able to fix all of these problems, there is a faint glimmer of hope. That offensive line is healthy and that spells trouble for the rest of the NFC East. Shady can run the ball, Vick (and I'm assuming Vick has the job locked up now) will have time to throw, and he's a different beast when that happens. Another big question mark for the Eagles is their defense, a lot of their guys are good in the 4-3, but unknowns or just bad in the 3-4. I have a feeling the Eagles will be playing a lot of shootout games, because it's gonna be hard to imagine this defense doing well against the run or pass. Still, if that offense is healthy, there are only a few teams I'd reliably take over them. I like the potential here, but it's gonna take another year or two to fill that defense in.

20. Kansas City Chiefs

Hey Hey Hey, it's fat Andy and the Kansas City never running the ball ever agains! That was a mouthful. So the Chiefs probably made the biggest improvement of QB's this year, going from the awful Matt Cassel to the surprisingly efficient Alex Smith. And that covers why I'd put them so high on this list. Because despite a new coach and new QB, this is still the same team that despite having well known superstars like Brandon Flowers, Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson, completely caved to opposing quarterbacks. Their offensive line was probably the strongest point of their team and it wasn't very good to begin with. So while adding Eric Fisher helps, they need some real help on the defense, something that Mike DeVito alone will not provide. There's reason for optimism, they do have a large group of talented players, but as a team playing football, they aren't as hot. The pick up of Smith has me confident they'll be a threat in games, but I don't see them making the playoffs without a lot of help.

19. Arizona Cardinals

They also made a significant improvement at QB, exchanging the horror show of John Skelton, Ryan Lindley and Kevin Kolb for the averageness of Carson Palmer. Average is a massive improvement for this team though, and in Arian's devil may care offense, Larry Fitzgerald is bound to have a big season, along with some other lesser know role players like Andre Roberts and Rob Housler. I love what they did in the late offseason, taking bargain deals on good players like Eric Winston, Karlos Dansby and John Abraham. They picked up a lot of guys I really liked in the draft, and while it's tough to say how that'll pan out, they should have a marked improvement on offense and if Tyrann Mathieu is everything this preseason is saying he is, the defense will be big as well. The reasons to be optimistic are high, but I think they're in the same boat as the Chiefs, they have a lot they need to fix, but they seem to be going in the right direction.

Theyre the only team in the NFL yet to name a starter for opening day. Had Sanchez been named the starter I gave them a shot at 6-10. If Geno Smith starts 16 games for this team, Id be suprised if they won 4. From 7 AM to 5PM I listen to sports radio at work, and from Boomer and Carton in the AM to Francessa at night, all they talk about is the Jets.

Ive seen all their pre season games here in NY, as well as last years games. With Santonio Holmes refusing to play unless HE feels 100%, despite the doctors clearing him, their "third string QB" Matt Simms out performing BOTH potential starters, and still being on the roster bubble, and 2/5 of the OL being starting caliber in this league this offense is almost a stone cold lock to be far and away the worst in the league. Think about it, outside of Holmes who isnt playing for a while, there is not a SINGLE player on this offense that is a serious weapon. Jeremy Kerley? Stephen Hill? Bilal Powell? Jeff Cumberland? I suppose some of you could make an arguement for Chris Ivory, but he's always hurt and this OL is dreadful. Even the most basic and mediocre defenses are going to look like the 85' Bears.

I agree their defense will be decent, but everyone expects it to be a typical Jets defense, and thats just not the case. Rex Ryans defense was literally BUILT around one player, Darelle Revis. In 2009 and 10' when they went to back to back AFCCG they were #1 and #6 defense in the NFL in points against. In 2011 when Revis had his mini holdout and played a lot of the year banged up, and 2012 when he went down in week 3 they were 20th. Their D should be above average, but this isnt the 2000 Ravens...This is an above average Defense and arguably the worst NFL offense in quite some time.

That's debatable. Last year with Revis missing the majority of the season they were top top 5 pass defense. Ryan knows how to make due with the talent he has on defense, and they were arguably a top 10 squad overall last year. And that defensive line has major potential. He's great at developing defensive players, and I don't see why that would all the sudden change.

A top 10 defense will at least win you 5 to 6 games. They had a bottom 5 offense last year and it didn't stop them from picking 16th in the draft. Why would that all the sudden change?

18. Tampa Bay Bucs

Let's kick off the next tier with a bang. The Buckin' Ears are a team that if run by potential alone, would be in conference championships year in and year out. However, potential is a fickle thing, and beyond the starters, the depth is weak. In fact some of the starters are pretty weak too. Still, when you consider they have Revis bolstering that secondary, a couple of young corners who are built in the same way, and they have Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David on the other levels of defense, you have to like the talent. A lot of what they can do comes down to which Josh Freeman comes out to play. The one who throws 8 INT's in 2 games, or the one who throws 9 INT's in the other 14. Which Freeman shows up could go a long way to determining how the season turns out. They have to make it through a tough division, and it'll be hard if Freeman isn't playing great and if they don't have a real pass rushing threat on the outside. Clayborn or Bowers needs to step up and become a threat rushing the passer. Otherwise it could just be a long season.

That's debatable. Last year with Revis missing the majority of the season they were top top 5 pass defense. Ryan knows how to make due with the talent he has on defense, and they were arguably a top 10 squad overall last year. And that defensive line has major potential. He's great at developing defensive players, and I don't see why that would all the sudden change.

A top 10 defense will at least win you 5 to 6 games. They had a bottom 5 offense last year and it didn't stop them from picking 16th in the draft. Why would that all the sudden change?

You can rank your top defenses by yards all you want. Im going to rank them based on points against. Granted some of those were pick 6s, fumble recoveries for TDs etc etc. But if you take those out at best it bumps them up from 20th to maybe 15th-16th, if you do that for them you have to do it for all the teams in front of them too.

There pass defense numbers look way better then they actually should becuase in 7/10 losses they were down by more then 10 points (down by 17 in 6 of those 10 losses) teams were running out the clock sometimes as early as mid 3rd quarter. And it should be noted that the QBs they played last year include the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick x2, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Lindley, Alex Smith (pre Kap era), and rookie Tannehill twice the first being in the kids 3rd career game...Thats 8 games right there, half their season! So take that top 5 pass defense with a pound of salt, not just a grain.

The Jets, in addition to Revis, also lost Laron Landry at safety, Quinton Coples is out for an unknown amount of time, which will cut down on the pressure their getting on opposing QBs. And they have a rookie who has been abused in the preseason starting at CB with the added pressure of trying to fill the shoes of arguably a top 3 all time corner in Revis.

They werent a top 10 defense last year, and they probably wont be this year either.

Not This Year:

32. Oakland Raiders- Dumpster. Fire.

31. New York Jets- This QB situation is getting uglier than I even thought possible.

30. Buffalo Bills- Starting Jeff Tuel and losing Gilmore to begin the season kind of erases any hope I saw for the Bills.

29. Arizona Cardinals- The offense is going to be victimized by Bruce Arians madness. Chargers backups looked about as good as their starters in preseason wk 3 and we aren't really a deep team.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars- Seems like the D is moving in the right direction and they have some nice pieces, but they are really young in the back 7 and Gabbert is still the starter.

27. Minnesota Vikings- Sorry Vikings fans, I just don't believe.

Crazier Things Have Happened:

26. Philadelphia Eagles- The defense has some nice players, but looks like a hot mess right now. Will Vick stay healthy?

25. Miami Dolphins- Jeff Ireland's chickens could come home to roost this season. I think they have a disappointing year, fire him, and then start a true ascension.

24. Kansas City Chiefs- I don't buy Alex Smith in that system. 7-9 wins is attainable, but I think he take them from terrible to middling and no further. Wake me up when they get a real QB.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Pretty strong team in some areas, but pass rush and QB play are concerns and those are the two most important things for any team to be successful.

22. Cleveland Browns- Lots of sneaky talent on both sides; it's all about what Weeden can do.

21. Tennessee Titans- Similar to the Browns with perhaps a little more talent; what can Locker do?

Could Go Either Way:

20. St. Louis Rams- Defense seems to be uneven with very strong strengths and very weak weaknesses. Bradford will need to show consistency.

19. New York Giants- Very similar team to the Rams IMO, with real strong points and real weaknesses on defense and a QB who has major bouts of inconsistency.

18. Washington Redskins- RGIII will need to keep opposing offenses off the field for large chunks of time because outside of the OLB's, I think that defense will be vulnerable.

17. Carolina Panthers- Lots of high end talent and very little depth make for a wide range of possibilities this season. Cam needs to look better than he did in preseason.

16. Detroit Lions- The talent up and down this roster is astounding for a 4-12 team. They need to stop shooting themselves in the foot and to have some close ones go their way.

15. San Diego Chargers- One question: Has the improvement on offense (scheme/personnel) been enough to get Rivers back to form? Is yes, they can push for a WC spot. If no, 5-7 wins.

14. Chicago Bears- Bears will be as good or as bad as Jay Cutler. I question his willingness to buy in to Trestman and cut down on stupid plays. If he does, they're probably PO bound.

13. Pittsburgh Steelers- That defense isn't going away just yet, and Roethlisberger can make the offense go.

12. Dallas Cowboys- Now healthy and well stocked with talent, too many people are sleeping on the 'Boys.

A Playoff Berth will Shock Exactly No One:

11. Atlanta Falcons- Elite talent at the skill positions, but the OL and defense look vulnerable. Can Ryan compensate enough for issues elsewhere?

10. Cincinnati Bengals- The overall talent on the roster should easily compensate for so-so play at QB if Dalton doesn't progress. However, if he doesn't, they're likely one and done again.

9. Houston Texans- Elite talent will carry the team (Watt, Cushing, Joseph, Brown, Johnson) even if Schaub is still ordinary. Ben Tate, IMO, is as talented as Foster so him stepping in shouldn't hurt.

8. Indianapolis Colts- Could well be a top 5 offense with all their talent (Luck, Wayne, Hilton, DHB, Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw, Ballard, and an improved OL) and I think the defense will improve enough to make them a power in the AFC.

7. Green Bay Packers- Injuries are taking a toll, but there is a lot of talent on the roster and Aaron Rodgers covers a multitude of sins.

6. New Orleans Saints- Their offense was a juggernaut w/out a head coach who is also effectively an OC. They are going to score like crazy this year, play pissed, and the D should be just good enough.

The Cream of the Crop:

5. Seattle Seahawks- Deep roster with only one real question- are the pass rushers going to be healthy/good enough to get the job done (healthy referring to the outside rushers, good referring to the inside ones)?

4. Denver Broncos- Manning and the O will score. Trouble looming on defense and the running game keeps them out of the top 3.

3. San Francisco 49ers- Kaepernick, IMO, can do whatever he wants in this league. Defense will keep ticking as long as Justin Smith does.

2. Baltimore Ravens- They won the superbowl and then got better. Offense will need to be conservative, but I see that defense taking a big step.

1. New England Patriots- Having to emphasize running the ball and playing great defense could be the best thing that ever happened to this team. And who really thinks Brady and the passing game are going to tank?

Not This Year:

32. Oakland Raiders- Dumpster. Fire.

31. New York Jets- This QB situation is getting uglier than I even thought possible.

30. Buffalo Bills- Starting Jeff Tuel and losing Gilmore to begin the season kind of erases any hope I saw for the Bills.

29. Arizona Cardinals- The offense is going to be victimized by Bruce Arians madness. Chargers backups looked about as good as their starters in preseason wk 3 and we aren't really a deep team.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars- Seems like the D is moving in the right direction and they have some nice pieces, but they are really young in the back 7 and Gabbert is still the starter.

26. Philadelphia Eagles- The defense has some nice players, but looks like a hot mess right now. Will Vick stay healthy?

25. Miami Dolphins- Jeff Ireland's chickens could come home to roost this season. I think they have a disappointing year, fire him, and then start a true ascension.

24. Kansas City Chiefs- I don't buy Alex Smith in that system. 7-9 wins is attainable, but I think he take them from terrible to middling and no further. Wake me up when they get a real QB.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Pretty strong team in some areas, but pass rush and QB play are concerns and those are the two most important things for any team to be successful.

22. Cleveland Browns- Lots of sneaky talent on both sides; it's all about what Weeden can do.

21. Tennessee Titans- Similar to the Browns with perhaps a little more talent; what can Locker do?

Could Go Either Way:

20. St. Louis Rams- Defense seems to be uneven with very strong strengths and very weak weaknesses. Bradford will need to show consistency.

19. New York Giants- Very similar team to the Rams IMO, with real strong points and real weaknesses on defense and a QB who has major bouts of inconsistency.

18. Washington Redskins- RGIII will need to keep opposing offenses off the field for large chunks of time because outside of the OLB's, I think that defense will be vulnerable.

17. Carolina Panthers- Lots of high end talent and very little depth make for a wide range of possibilities this season. Cam needs to look better than he did in preseason.

16. Detroit Lions- The talent up and down this roster is astounding for a 4-12 team. They need to stop shooting themselves in the foot and to have some close ones go their way.

15. San Diego Chargers- One question: Has the improvement on offense (scheme/personnel) been enough to get Rivers back to form? Is yes, they can push for a WC spot. If no, 5-7 wins.

14. Chicago Bears- Bears will be as good or as bad as Jay Cutler. I question his willingness to buy in to Trestman and cut down on stupid plays. If he does, they're probably PO bound.

13. Pittsburgh Steelers- That defense isn't going away just yet, and Roethlisberger can make the offense go.

12. Dallas Cowboys- Now healthy and well stocked with talent, too many people are sleeping on the 'Boys.

11. Atlanta Falcons- Elite talent at the skill positions, but the OL and defense look vulnerable. Can Ryan compensate enough for issues elsewhere?

10. Cincinnati Bengals- The overall talent on the roster should easily compensate for so-so play at QB if Dalton doesn't progress. However, if he doesn't, they're likely one and done again.

9. Houston Texans- Elite talent will carry the team (Watt, Cushing, Joseph, Brown, Johnson) even if Schaub is still ordinary. Ben Tate, IMO, is as talented as Foster so him stepping in shouldn't hurt.

8. Indianapolis Colts- Could well be a top 5 offense with all their talent (Luck, Wayne, Hilton, DHB, Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw, Ballard, and an improved OL) and I think the defense will improve enough to make them a power in the AFC.

7. Green Bay Packers- Injuries are taking a toll, but there is a lot of talent on the roster and Aaron Rodgers covers a multitude of sins.

6. New Orleans Saints- Their offense was a juggernaut w/out a head coach who is also effectively an OC. They are going to score like crazy this year, play pissed, and the D should be just good enough.

The Cream of the Crop:

5. Seattle Seahawks- Deep roster with only one real question- are the pass rushers going to be healthy/good enough to get the job done (healthy referring to the outside rushers, good referring to the inside ones)?

4. Denver Broncos- Manning and the O will score. Trouble looming on defense and the running game keeps them out of the top 3.

3. San Francisco 49ers- Kaepernick, IMO, can do whatever he wants in this league. Defense will keep ticking as long as Justin Smith does.

2. Baltimore Ravens- They won the superbowl and then got better. Offense will need to be conservative, but I see that defense taking a big step.

1. New England Patriots- Having to emphasize running the ball and playing great defense could be the best thing that ever happened to this team. And who really thinks Brady and the passing game are going to tank?

Pretty much disagree on just about every level.

1) Seattle

2) Denver

3) NE

4) SF

5) Houston

6) GB

7) Balt

8) Atl

9) Cinci

10) Dallas

Not This Year:

Could Go Either Way:

The Cream of the Crop:

29. Arizona Cardinals- Already a very good defense in Zona, now add a semi-compotent QB to Larry Fitzgerald and Floyd? I dont know how much better it makes them, but no way are they the 4th worst team in the NFL.

27. Minnesota Vikings- Adrian Peterson. Period.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- The defense is vastly improved. Even without a great pass rush, Revis (healthy or not) as long as hes on the field takes away one side of the field. QBs simply wont throw his way.

Could Go Either Way:

19. New York Giants- Very similar team to the Rams? Only haters would say something like that. I know Charger fans hate us for the making out with the WAYYYY better end of that trade 10 years ago, but dang let it go!

15. San Diego Chargers- One question: I dont see that much of an approvement on the offensive personnel from last year, and is there a single WR who is 100% healthy on this team yet? They didnt have a single quality win last season, top half of the league? No.

12. Dallas Cowboys- Now healthy? Ratliff to PUP, Claiborne just started to practice this week for the first time since July, Spencer coming off a knee surgery 4 weeks ago, O-lineman being signed as starters and immediately retiring, shuffling guys around the OL after 2 OGs were sent to IR, a new starting DT who was a 6th round draft pick a few years ago and wasnt even on an NFL practice squad last year? Not too mention a defense built for the 3-4 for the last 5 years being switched over to a 4-3 and maybe the least talented safety duo in the NFL? This is the exact same team, if not slightly less talented, then last years 8-8 squad. Throw in the fact that their RB is second to only Darren McFadden in the "fragile" category, and a #2 WR who cant manage to go 2 games without pulling a hammy or a groin does not add up to the 12th best team in the league until they show something.

11. Atlanta Falcons- The same team that was dominant in 12' and runner up in the NFC isnt even in the top 10? Fail

8. Indianapolis Colts- Colts at 8? No....just no.

The Cream of the Crop:

2. Baltimore Ravens- They won the superbowl and then got better? Where? Forget about the talent thay they lost in Reed, Pitta, etc. and consider the leadership they lost. Good luck filling the role of Ray Lewis with a rookie from Kansas State. I love him as a player, but those are some mighty big shoes to fill for a very young man.

1. New England Patriots- I mean, really?

17. Indianapolis Colts

I'm sure I've made it known how the Colts were a fluky team last year. That kind of effort is inspiring, but it's not sustainable. You may see improvement in the young players, but the team is still not that good, and their poor point differential last year will catch up to them.

16. Minnesota Vikings

The second team in the NFC North on the list, I think the Vikings are in a similar boat as the Colts, they won a bit more than they reasonably should have. However, they had a strong draft class, and they did some work to bolster their weakest positions. I see a team with an amazing running game, an average defense with some real potential for growth and again, a third year QB who can play well sometimes... Ponder is going to be the noose around this team's neck though, and that's about as far as I can put them.

29. Arizona Cardinals- Already a very good defense in Zona, now add a semi-compotent QB to Larry Fitzgerald and Floyd? I dont know how much better it makes them, but no way are they the 4th worst team in the NFL.

27. Minnesota Vikings- Adrian Peterson. Period.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- The defense is vastly improved. Even without a great pass rush, Revis (healthy or not) as long as hes on the field takes away one side of the field. QBs simply wont throw his way.

Could Go Either Way:

19. New York Giants- Very similar team to the Rams? Only haters would say something like that. I know Charger fans hate us for the making out with the WAYYYY better end of that trade 10 years ago, but dang let it go!

15. San Diego Chargers- One question: I dont see that much of an approvement on the offensive personnel from last year, and is there a single WR who is 100% healthy on this team yet? They didnt have a single quality win last season, top half of the league? No.

12. Dallas Cowboys- Now healthy? Ratliff to PUP, Claiborne just started to practice this week for the first time since July, Spencer coming off a knee surgery 4 weeks ago, O-lineman being signed as starters and immediately retiring, shuffling guys around the OL after 2 OGs were sent to IR, a new starting DT who was a 6th round draft pick a few years ago and wasnt even on an NFL practice squad last year? Not too mention a defense built for the 3-4 for the last 5 years being switched over to a 4-3 and maybe the least talented safety duo in the NFL? This is the exact same team, if not slightly less talented, then last years 8-8 squad. Throw in the fact that their RB is second to only Darren McFadden in the "fragile" category, and a #2 WR who cant manage to go 2 games without pulling a hammy or a groin does not add up to the 12th best team in the league until they show something.

11. Atlanta Falcons- The same team that was dominant in 12' and runner up in the NFC isnt even in the top 10? Fail

8. Indianapolis Colts- Colts at 8? No....just no.

The Cream of the Crop:

2. Baltimore Ravens- They won the superbowl and then got better? Where? Forget about the talent thay they lost in Reed, Pitta, etc. and consider the leadership they lost. Good luck filling the role of Ray Lewis with a rookie from Kansas State. I love him as a player, but those are some mighty big shoes to fill for a very young man.

1. New England Patriots- I mean, really?

Cardinals are combining an immobile QB, a line that struggles to protect, and a HC/OC that doesn't like to throw to RB's and specializes in getting his QB's killed with heavy doses of deep route combinations and 7 step drops. The defense is pretty nice, but I will be shocked if Palmer makes it through the season and I think opposing defenses are going to tee off. Just my opinion.

Minnesota Vikings, like you said, have Adrian Peterson. Period. Either he goes off again (which he won't IMO) or they struggle mightily on offense. I think Ponder is going the way of Sanchez (on the field) and that's going to hurt them. Again, just my opinion.

The Bucs' defense is going to be good at basically the same thing it was last year: run D. And I have respect for the talent on that team, but if you can't get to the QB in this league then either you have an O that can hang 35 on anyone or you don't win more than 9 games. That's how I see it. And that's not to mention that Freeman doesn't look improved so far in preseason. The secondary looks good, but any team can be passed on if the front 7 doesn't get a rush.

I don't hate the Giants nor Eli. Eli made his desires known and they worked something out. Good on him. I even pulled for them during both superbowls. But the defenses are similar between NY and STL. Good lines, questionable linebackers, and a mix of talents and liabilities in the secondary. Eli is obviously a better QB than Bradford, but I said they were similar, not the same. Also alike along the OL and with largely untested RB's. And while these are rankings and I like some teams better than others, #20-12 are all teams than I can imagine making a run to the playoffs or tanking depending on how things shake out. I don't see much of a gap between any of them and if you wanted to rank the Giants ahead of SD, I wouldn't balk.

The Chargers won 7 games a year ago and lost 6 that were one score games and/or they led at the half. So I'm sorry, but projecting them from ~17 to 15 just isn't a stretch. Especially now that they have moved to a scheme that won't get Rivers sacked more per pass attempt than any other starting QB. And Alexander is the only receiver expected to miss week one.

Dallas has Lee and Murray back. I hadn't seen that about Ratliff, but my point is that they have talent and I like their chances to make a push. Pretty good group at RB, very strong pass catchers, good pass rushers, two great linebackers, and a secondary that is better than it's been in a while. And Romo, though much maligned is a good NFL QB. I could totally see him botching things in the playoffs, but I can also see them getting there in the first place. I don't think that's crazy.

If you care to interact with anything I've said re: Atlanta. Feel free to do so. They cut their best offensive lineman and are starting one who didn't do well at all last year. Their best pass rusher is a Cardinal, and their linebackers underwhelmed in 2012. For all that, I have them at 11. Also should point out that the NFCS rotates division winners with regularity. Back to back division crowns down there are hard to come by.

The Ravens got better all over the place on defense. Lewis and Reed were shadows of their former selves in 2012. Huff and Smith are younger and playing at a higher level than that (Smith- a well respected veteran- is taking on the leadership role, not Brown). Brown and Elam have looked good. Perhaps Brown isn't quite as good as Ellerbe right away, but he could be. And Elam is easily already better than Pollard (unless the measure of "good" is personal fouls). Plus they get Webb (top 5 corner), Suggs (top 5 pass rusher), and Ngata (top 5 lineman) all back completely healthy. That on its own would be enough to justify a prediction of improved defensive performance. And they added Canty and replaced one good pass rush specialist (Kruger) with another one (Dumervil). And I am aware of the losses on O (Boldin, Pitta), which is why I mentioned that they will have to be conservative. They have to the personnel to do so. A good run blocking line, two very good backs, and a QB who can blow the top off a defense with the PA pass game.

The stuff in bold is lazy and needless. What kind of argument is that? If I just call you a hater, or say really? or write "fail" does that mean that I win? What's with the hostility anyways? I'm just giving my rankings as I see it. If you want to read what you think, then I would advise you to post your own.

You were doing so well until you claimed the defense was BUILT around one player. That's just simply not true. Was Revis the best player on the defense? Yes, of course. But the Jets were a defensive UNIT. There were more changes between 2009 and 2011 than Revis getting banged up that caused the defense to get worse.

The Jets allowed the second LEAST amount of yards in the passing game last year in the whole NFL mostly without Revis. So that goes to show the Jets weren't hurting that bad in the secondary. It's the front seven that has taken the biggest hit the past few years and why the defense has gotten worse. In no way is it because the defense was built around Revis...

On topic I'm pretty much in agreement with all of these but I think the Chargers are a bit low. They should at least be higher than their division rival Chiefs.

Cardinals are combining an immobile QB, a line that struggles to protect, and a HC/OC that doesn't like to throw to RB's and specializes in getting his QB's killed with heavy doses of deep route combinations and 7 step drops. The defense is pretty nice, but I will be shocked if Palmer makes it through the season and I think opposing defenses are going to tee off. Just my opinion.

Minnesota Vikings, like you said, have Adrian Peterson. Period. Either he goes off again (which he won't IMO) or they struggle mightily on offense. I think Ponder is going the way of Sanchez (on the field) and that's going to hurt them. Again, just my opinion.

The Bucs' defense is going to be good at basically the same thing it was last year: run D. And I have respect for the talent on that team, but if you can't get to the QB in this league then either you have an O that can hang 35 on anyone or you don't win more than 9 games. That's how I see it. And that's not to mention that Freeman doesn't look improved so far in preseason. The secondary looks good, but any team can be passed on if the front 7 doesn't get a rush.

I don't hate the Giants nor Eli. Eli made his desires known and they worked something out. Good on him. I even pulled for them during both superbowls. But the defenses are similar between NY and STL. Good lines, questionable linebackers, and a mix of talents and liabilities in the secondary. Eli is obviously a better QB than Bradford, but I said they were similar, not the same. Also alike along the OL and with largely untested RB's. And while these are rankings and I like some teams better than others, #20-12 are all teams than I can imagine making a run to the playoffs or tanking depending on how things shake out. I don't see much of a gap between any of them and if you wanted to rank the Giants ahead of SD, I wouldn't balk.

The Chargers won 7 games a year ago and lost 6 that were one score games and/or they led at the half. So I'm sorry, but projecting them from ~17 to 15 just isn't a stretch. Especially now that they have moved to a scheme that won't get Rivers sacked more per pass attempt than any other starting QB. And Alexander is the only receiver expected to miss week one.

Dallas has Lee and Murray back. I hadn't seen that about Ratliff, but my point is that they have talent and I like their chances to make a push. Pretty good group at RB, very strong pass catchers, good pass rushers, two great linebackers, and a secondary that is better than it's been in a while. And Romo, though much maligned is a good NFL QB. I could totally see him botching things in the playoffs, but I can also see them getting there in the first place. I don't think that's crazy.

If you care to interact with anything I've said re: Atlanta. Feel free to do so. They cut their best offensive lineman and are starting one who didn't do well at all last year. Their best pass rusher is a Cardinal, and their linebackers underwhelmed in 2012. For all that, I have them at 11. Also should point out that the NFCS rotates division winners with regularity. Back to back division crowns down there are hard to come by.

The Ravens got better all over the place on defense. Lewis and Reed were shadows of their former selves in 2012. Huff and Smith are younger and playing at a higher level than that (Smith- a well respected veteran- is taking on the leadership role, not Brown). Brown and Elam have looked good. Perhaps Brown isn't quite as good as Ellerbe right away, but he could be. And Elam is easily already better than Pollard (unless the measure of "good" is personal fouls). Plus they get Webb (top 5 corner), Suggs (top 5 pass rusher), and Ngata (top 5 lineman) all back completely healthy. That on its own would be enough to justify a prediction of improved defensive performance. And they added Canty and replaced one good pass rush specialist (Kruger) with another one (Dumervil). And I am aware of the losses on O (Boldin, Pitta), which is why I mentioned that they will have to be conservative. They have to the personnel to do so. A good run blocking line, two very good backs, and a QB who can blow the top off a defense with the PA pass game.

The stuff in bold is lazy and needless. What kind of argument is that? If I just call you a hater, or say really? or write "fail" does that mean that I win? What's with the hostility anyways? I'm just giving my rankings as I see it. If you want to read what you think, then I would advise you to post your own.

No hostility. The ones I wrote one or 2 words about are just a brush off because Id be here all day writing the reasons I think youre wrong. Youd be hard pressed to find many people ranking the pats #1 after the offseason they had, the Vikings at 27 with the best player at any position in the sport, or the Colts as high as 8 with all the issues they have, though that one is more plausible then any of the others I disagree with.

To your counter points...

1. Cardinals, as I stated before I dont know how good they will be but with one move, of adding Carson Palmer vs Lindley, Skeleton etc. and having a pretty good D theres no way they finish worse then last year.

2. Bucs, The Jets of 09 and 10' never had an overwhelming pass rush with 4 guys...they sent the house. rolled coverage to the WRs being covered by guys not named Darelle Revis because especially with very little time to throw, no one was making a quick pass in the direction of Revis. The Bucs in my opinion will emply the same strategy. Help out whoever starts at CB on the other side of Revis and blitz A LOT. A guy like Revis drastically changes your defense, even if hes not 100% healthy, most QBs are not going to test him especially when theyre under pressure. They also have one of the up and coming backs in this league and a pretty good OL. Yes the jury is still out on Freeman, but I see him more as the 6-2 start guy then the 1-7 finish guy. Again, how good theyll be? Who knows, but I definitely dont think they belong on the fringe of the bottom 1/4 of the league.

3. Giants, dont get me wrong, Im not too high on them either until I see how some of the guys who had down years and how some new guys fill in. I just dont see you ranking some of the teams with similar, or more, questions then they do. Even if the D is suspect, with Nicks being back healthy Rueben Randle locked in as the #3, the addition of Brandon Myers, and David Wilsons play making ability out of the backfield, this is a very difficult offense to match up with.

4. Chargers, I get how many close games they lost. But i dont know how many of them had points scored in garbage time or what. I do know that of their 7 wins they had one win against a quality opponent. They beat up on the chiefs x2, raiders x2, Titans, Jets, then beat the Steelers. So basically, they lost every game they played vs a decent team...With their entire receiving corp hurt, questions on the OL. I get that all their WR will be playing, but their all banged up before the season even kicks off...not a good sign.

5. Cowboys, I think Lee is a great talent, well see if he stays healthy. Murray has played well.....when he has actually played. The guys durability is terrible, too this point its only a matter of time before he gets banged up. They have talent on offense, yes. But there are big questions almost everywhere on Defense. The safeties are, for lack of a better word, bad. Will Claiborne stay healthy? Thats 2/2 on significat time missed in training camps, will he have his legs under him and be in game shape for the opener in 10 days? Will Spencer be fully recovered from the knee surgery just a month ago? No preseason action for him either, is he ready to roll for 60 minutes? Ratliff is on PUP, the guy starting in his place was a 6th round pick from Carolina 2 years ago, was let go and couldnt even latch on to anyones practice squad last season. Not too mention they have NO depth, on offense or defense. And the OL has been a problem there for years, does moving the laughable Doug Free to OG work out? How do we know.....Way too many questions for me to put them as high as 12.

6. Ravens, maybe I put more stock in to losing 2 iconic players to a franchise, despite their diminished skill sets. I did forget about Dumervil, that will certainly help. Maybe I knocked them a bit too hard, but even still I cant seem them as the #2 overall team.

7. Patriots, Tom Brady is without his favorite targets from the last 4-5 years, at least to start with Gronk, and Welker. I know I know, hes done it with no names before. The Aaron Hernandez ordeal all going down, that skeptical defense, and lets also not forget that Tom Terrific is 36 freakin years old lol, hes not a young man anymore. How long can he sustain this god like status when you continue to let his favorite targets walk, or send them to jail, or they get injured. Dont get me wrong, the Pats will still win 10-12 games and win the AFCE, and probably get a first round bye because their division cant hold a candle to them. But I would easily rank 5 maybe 6 teams ahead of them at this point.

You were doing so well until you claimed the defense was BUILT around one player. That's just simply not true. Was Revis the best player on the defense? Yes, of course. But the Jets were a defensive UNIT. There were more changes between 2009 and 2011 than Revis getting banged up that caused the defense to get worse.

The Jets allowed the second LEAST amount of yards in the passing game last year in the whole NFL mostly without Revis. So that goes to show the Jets weren't hurting that bad in the secondary. It's the front seven that has taken the biggest hit the past few years and why the defense has gotten worse. In no way is it because the defense was built around Revis...

On topic I'm pretty much in agreement with all of these but I think the Chargers are a bit low. They should at least be higher than their division rival Chiefs.

Perhaps built was too strong. But it certainly made Rexs, and the rest of that defenses, job a hell of a lot easier over the years. With half the field taken away, it was definitely a much easier go at things then it could have been. Please see my response above at why their passing stats were so good...plenty of reasons to choose from. QBs they faced, getting blown out in 7 of their 10 losses and teams running out the clock, their offense being so dreadful turning the ball over that teams had short fields. The reasons are endless. Bottom line is they were 20th in points against. With the offense either being the same, if Sanchez starts, or painfully worse if Geno starts, IMO it spells much of the same as 2012 for the Jets.

Dont get me wrong, now that the obnixous Rex Ryan claiming the Jets as the Kings of NY is long gone Im actually pulling for the Jets. I just dont see a lot of bright spots on this team.